Page 373 of 439 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383423 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 6583
    BANNED

Eh, sometimes. I wouldn't say many were overly jokey aside from Spider-Man, or Batman comics of the '60s TV show era. Then again one of my favorite comic runs of all time was the Giffen Bwahaha era of the Justice League (see my avatar), and he was instrumental in assembling/forming the Guardians of the Galaxy incarnation we all know and love (in the comics, with not much readership, but still it's his core and concept they're building from). And Guardians is the formula Disney's following and to the extent they can pull themselves away from the grimdark Snyderverse DC is now trying to emulate. I'm not against humor, just want more sometimes.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Superhero Comics in 60's-80's were full of jokes and one-liners. There were jokes in the stories, in the captions, on letters pages and in the editorial pages. It's slightly ironic that people say they don't like all the jokey-jokes in the Marvel movies these days.
    I'm well aware, I just don't like them personally.

Speaking of jokes in comics, was reading a F4 story the other day from 63 i think in which the team is on some other world and the people from that planet need to get to a different world cause this one is dooooomed.

But they don't have any transportation of their own so in order to fit everyone inside the F4 ship, Reed miniaturizes them all. (gotta love them 60's stories)

Stuff is done, **** happens, the bad guy dies, good folks are saved...just Monday for the F4.

But right at the end, Sue is like "damn, we forgot to de-miniaturize them aliens, yo foolz!!".

Man, Reed just doesn't give the slightest of fck about that. I don't know if Kirby did that on purpose but his expression on the last panel is so "yeah, whatever, who gives a damn?" lol. He's like "they are all small now right? So it's the same". (world's greatest genius at work there)

Don't think it was meant to be funny but gee...i laughed for two minutes straight.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 05-27-2022 at 01:33 AM.

Invincible Member

Jack Davis is a great artist who has done awesome work in both comics and the commercial art world, yet is underrated in today's comics community

I think it depends on which community. If it's the people reared on Image, than probably, but for us older readers, Jack Davis is one of the all time great artists. His work on EC and Mad alone warrant him space on the Pantheon.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

My older brother collected baseball cards. Since he was born in late 1949, this means he had a lot of cards from the 1950s. In fact, he was a master player at card throwing. Which was sort of like playing marbles (something else he was good at). So he had won a huge collection of cards from the other kids at school.

Since I shared a room with my brother when I was little, I saw a lot of those cards. And many had cartoons on the back of them by Jack Davis. This is how I knew Jack Davis, long before I ever learned that there was such a thing as E.C.

Sadly, my father forced my brother to destroy his entire collection of cards. Just why he did that, I will never know. This is a true tale from the crypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My older brother collected baseball cards. Since he was born in late 1949, this means he had a lot of cards from the 1950s. In fact, he was a master player at card throwing. Which was sort of like playing marbles (something else he was good at). So he had won a huge collection of cards from the other kids at school.

Since I shared a room with my brother when I was little, I saw a lot of those cards. And many had cartoons on the back of them by Jack Davis. This is how I knew Jack Davis, long before I ever learned that there was such a thing as E.C.

Sadly, my father forced my brother to destroy his entire collection of cards. Just why he did that, I will never know. This is a true tale from the crypt.
    Do you remember which rookie cards he had? It's alright, my mom made us through out a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Some of these comics weren't actually "banned" but this is still a pretty interesting vid.

Also, Bill Gaines didn't end EC Comics after the code. They tried a new line of comics that didn't sell well. Then in an attempt to avoid the restrictions of the code changed Mad Comic Book to Mad Magazine which of course was quite successful.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Most comic book writers who have a reputation of being "funny" like Peter David, Giffen & DeMatteis, Matt Fraction, nd Amanda Conner aren't very funny and most comedy tinged superhero comics are miserable to read. Justice League International gets by on excellent art and great character interactions, but I don't think I ever laughed once at the attempts at humor.

There is no shortage of gut-busting comic books from the likes of Sergio Aragones, Kyle Baker, the Kurtzman era Mad crew, Peter Bagge, and R. Crumb but those comics largely fall back on visual humor which is a perfect fit for comics.

Superhero comedy books usually utilize dialogue for their yuks, something that works great in an auditory medium like film or a comedy album, but doesn't have the same impact on the written page.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post

Superhero comedy books usually utilize dialogue for their yuks, something that works great in an auditory medium like film or a comedy album, but doesn't have the same impact on the written page.
    This raises an interesting question.

Usually, people "hear" a voice when they read, but not everyone. For speed reading, apparently getting rid of the voice in the head helps one read faster. I'm not sure I'd like that. Hearing the story is part of the fun in reading. Not that I dramatize the story that much in my head--not normally. But some people do act out the story in their imagination as they're reading--giving each character a voice. And, of course, when you're reading out to a child, you want to bring the words alive for them with different voices.

Mighty Member

The spiking gas prices in the U.S. are in large part the Biden administration’s fault (even if one considers their actions that led to it justified).
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 06-07-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    The spiking gas prices in the U.S. are in large part the Biden administration’s fault (even if one considers their actions that led to it justified).
    How so? and no they aren't. They are mostly due to Russia invading Ukraine. If you mean the response to that. That was more Europe, who imports Russian oil. Oil prices are set on a global scale, not by countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    And I guess the oil companies and their decisions about production have nothing to do with it?

Also, gas / oil is a commodity, so the market has some say-so in the prices.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And I guess the oil companies and their decisions about production have nothing to do with it?

Also, gas / oil is a commodity, so the market has some say-so in the prices.
    That’s why I said “in large part”. I’m well aware corporate fuckery makes up the other huge chunk of the equation. Even so, Biden knew what the domino effect would be and decided that piling that on top of inflation would somehow be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How so? and no they aren't. They are mostly due to Russia invading Ukraine. If you mean the response to that. That was more Europe, who imports Russian oil. Oil prices are set on a global scale, not by countries.
    Hi, um, actually the Gas prices and inflation started going up pretty much right after Biden took office. Well before Russia invaded Hunter's bank. Don't believe me, even Janet Yellen admitted it. Executive orders curtailed our own production of oil which put us in a situation we weren't in a couple of years ago.