Page 374 of 440 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378384424 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 6590
    Astonishing Member

Oil is an international commodity. What the president of the USA does or doesn't do has only a limited effect on its price. The domestic and foreign oil companies will set their prices to whatever the market can bear. Free enterprise, don'cha know.

Nope. Oil prices started going back to pre-pandemic prices as the economy was coming back. And again, globally, not just here.
    But Hunter's Bank? Really? It's a country being visited with a horrible war.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-07-2022 at 02:44 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Stopping one unpopular pipeline and not allowing people to drill in protected areas will cost the oil companies some small amount of money, and they will pass that on to customers, but that pipeline and those regulations cost them pennies per gallon in the end and not several dollars.

People being allowed to travel and vacation again, people going back to work, energy being more in demand is what's choking supply and raising the costs. I don't expect honesty from the MAGA crowd, but to attribute a price bump of several dollars a gallon internationally to the relatively new President of one country (however much clout we have, though usually we're coming hat-in-hand to the OPECs of the world and excusing human rights abuses and terrorism funding) is just so stupid that it rivals anti-vaccination propaganda and trickle-down economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    The spiking gas prices in the U.S. are in large part the Biden administration’s fault (even if one considers their actions that led to it justified).
    Gas prices, along with a lot of other things have started to rise before the war. Still, trolls are gleefully putting the blame on sanctions and people everywhere seem to blame current governments, just as they were blaming them for safety restrictions during the pandemic. Seems to be the human nature.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Gas prices, along with a lot of other things have started to rise before the war. Still, trolls are gleefully putting the blame on sanctions and people everywhere seem to blame current governments, just as they were blaming them for safety restrictions during the pandemic. Seems to be the human nature.
    That reminds me of Woodrow Wilson losing the Jersey Shore area when he ran for his second term, because of shark attacks. The president has nothing to do with where sharks hunt, but it hurt the local economy, and the economy is the president's fault.

Wilson still sucks, even if an increase in shark attacks wasn't his fault. It's just an interesting anecdote that shows such thinking is nothing newm
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Biden’s speech a few months ago made no bones about the fact that termination of Russian oil imports would be felt at the gas pump here at home; hence his claim in the same speech there’d effort to release more oil from our domestic reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That reminds me of Woodrow Wilson losing the Jersey Shore area when he ran for his second term, because of shark attacks. The president has nothing to do with where sharks hunt, but it hurt the local economy, and the economy is the president's fault.

Wilson still sucks, even if an increase in shark attacks wasn't his fault. It's just an interesting anecdote that shows such thinking is nothing newm
    The price hikes in gas being nearly as random or free of human agency as shark attacks I find difficult to believe.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 06-08-2022 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    The price hikes in gas being nearly as random or free of human agency as shark attacks I find difficult to believe.
    Not random, but influenced by global events and not because of anything the President did or didn't do. Unless you blame him for not letting Russia take Ukraine and pushing our European allies to accept it and keep importing Russian oil and gas.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I’m constantly stunned about how imperceptive people can be. For example, even when they have someone’s entire post history at their disposal, and admit to going through it, they still end up being wrong in the assumptions they try to make and the actions they take in response to those assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’m constantly stunned about how imperceptive people can be. For example, even when they have someone’s entire post history at their disposal, and admit to going through it, they still end up being wrong in the assumptions they try to make and the actions they take in response to those assumptions.
    There must be a juicy story behind this one.

On a related note, I fail to understand how people can stomach cheese.

On a related note, I fail to understand how people can stomach cheese.
    That is bizarre. There are so many cheeses in so many flavors and textures. It's like not understanding how people stomach vegetables. And how on Earth is that related to people being imperceptive on a comics board.

I'm also fairly tired of places that make you afraid to comment there if you disagree with them.
    I mean, they realize what they're doing, right? They have to.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Meg Myers version of Running up That Hill is better than the Placebo version. (runs out of room before something is thrown at me)
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm also fairly tired of places that make you afraid to comment there if you disagree with them.
    I mean, they realize what they're doing, right? They have to.
    Places or people or websites or people on websites?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The Meg Myers version of Running up That Hill is better than the Placebo version. (runs out of room before something is thrown at me)
    The answer is Kate Bush.