Page 375 of 441 FirstFirst ... 275325365371372373374375376377378379385425 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,625 of 6609

I thought both Suicide Squads were good and would really like a third one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I'm also fairly tired of places that make you afraid to comment there if you disagree with them.
    I mean, they realize what they're doing, right? They have to.
    Short of really going after a psychopath with the means to track you there's absolutely nothing to fear about posting your opinion on a message board, especially one that lets you be somewhat anonymous. People aren't making you afraid, you or your own mental/emotional conditions are. That might not change the outcome, but it should change the solution for you.

If you think you're right, go ahead and post. You might get dogpiled, but take the time to respond calmly and rationally and you'll likely come out the better for it. Some people are afraid of contrary opinions and come out hard against them because they want to live in a bubble. They fear that bubble being pierced, as you might fear to comment. I again say, don't be the one who's afraid. Especially since we're just throwing our insignificant opinions and arguments out into the void, with nearly 100% likelihood of no consequences.

I can get quite snarky, fear my snarkiness and tremble before my sarcasm.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Short of really going after a psychopath with the means to track you.

If you think you're right, go ahead and post. You might get dogpiled, but take the time to respond calmly and rationally and you'll likely come out the better for it. Some people are afraid of contrary opinions and come out hard against them because they want to live in a bubble. They fear that bubble being pierced, as you might fear to comment. I again say, don't be the one who's afraid. Especially since we're just throwing our insignificant opinions and arguments out into the void, with nearly 100% likelihood of no consequences.
    Okay, this an extremely literal interpretation of the argument, but, sure, we can explore this. Nobody is physically afraid to post. What I’m talking about is the adverse tribalism and echo chambering you usually get online. It’s very extreme reactions in a grey world it wants only black and white answers. One end of the extreme, is pushing some to feel even more isolated than they already do and then cyber bullying, real or perceived, pushes them over the edge. It’s difficult to continue a discussion or even want to continue a discussion when you have nobody agreeing with you and everyone else just going way too far with their responses. And, honestly, nobody wants to get into an online argument at the other extreme. An online argument, as people with experience know, is usually a waste of everyone’s time and nobody feels good about it at the end, so getting dragged into one especially when you go out of your way to avoid it is discouraging. It’s not like genuine fear, it’s more akin to apprehensiveness because you don’t know of your comment is going to spawn a 4 week battle between you and everyone else in the group or if you’ll get the discussion you want, and it’s more often the former. I think you’re missing that the internet is powerful. It’s proven that it can work wonders, it can be something really simple but it could change someone’s day anyway, or it could be something so devastating that people lack the will to go on. It’s been said before, but the internet gives every psycho anonymity to do and say whatever they want and, if cancel culture is any indication, it’s something to be genuinely apprehensive about at the very least.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I don't think anyone's looking to ban them.
    I see you haven't visited Twitter/Tumblr lol

BANNED

Okay, this an extremely literal interpretation of the argument, but, sure, we can explore this. Nobody is physically afraid to post. What I’m talking about is the adverse tribalism and echo chambering you usually get online. It’s very extreme reactions in a grey world it wants only black and white answers. One end of the extreme, is pushing some to feel even more isolated than they already do and then cyber bullying, real or perceived, pushes them over the edge. It’s difficult to continue a discussion or even want to continue a discussion when you have nobody agreeing with you and everyone else just going way too far with their responses. And, honestly, nobody wants to get into an online argument at the other extreme. An online argument, as people with experience know, is usually a waste of everyone’s time and nobody feels good about it at the end, so getting dragged into one especially when you go out of your way to avoid it is discouraging. It’s not like genuine fear, it’s more akin to apprehensiveness because you don’t know of your comment is going to spawn a 4 week battle between you and everyone else in the group or if you’ll get the discussion you want, and it’s more often the former. I think you’re missing that the internet is powerful. It’s proven that it can work wonders, it can be something really simple but it could change someone’s day anyway, or it could be something so devastating that people lack the will to go on. It’s been said before, but the internet gives every psycho anonymity to do and say whatever they want and, if cancel culture is any indication, it’s something to be genuinely apprehensive about at the very least.
    Yeah, if you don't want to get into an argument it's understandable. I don't mind as much, though I do try to keep myself under control and not fall into the trap of making false arguments (strawmen, correlation/causation, etc.) or insulting other posters because I disagree with them. I'll call people out, and that might result in an unpleasant back-and-forth, but if I feel I'm in the right (which, don't we all?) and someone's acting in bad faith or just simply mistaken I'll express that without much care for the negative or dismissive feedback. Hopefully that leads to a discussion. No illusions it's likely to lead to either one of us changing our opinions (especially where it goes against groupthink). But I like to have the discussion regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I haven't joined Twitter, I don't see much appeal. I'd probably follow some comedians, news sites, sports reporters, and artists promoting projects, but to go to the topic above about dogpiling/groupthink there's not really much room for real political discussion there. Mostly chiming in with "me too" and "I support the cause", and anything less than 100% on board seems to draw a lot of hate. On your topic of not having as much cheap sexual exploitation as in the past, I imagine it would be pretty hard to find support there.

I'm not tech savvy, but I had thought Tumblr was mostly for photos/gifs. But I never go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Is not visiting Twitter/Tumblr a bad thing?

Yeah, if you don't want to get into an argument it's understandable. I don't mind as much, though I do try to keep myself under control and not fall into the trap of making false arguments (strawmen, correlation/causation, etc.) or insulting other posters because I disagree with them. I'll call people out, and that might result in an unpleasant back-and-forth, but if I feel I'm in the right (which, don't we all?) and someone's acting in bad faith or just simply mistaken I'll express that without much care for the negative or dismissive feedback. Hopefully that leads to a discussion. No illusions it's likely to lead to either one of us changing our opinions (especially where it goes against groupthink). But I like to have the discussion regardless.
    Everyone tries to do that, but sometimes it could happen by accident. When it does, the person is rarely afforded the opportunity to backtrack and the conversation breaks down. People lacking communication skills is usually what starts this stuff.

Astonishing Member

On a related note, I fail to understand how people can stomach cheese.
    The only cheese I probably couldn't stomach is casu martzu. I think they've even illegalized it.

Swiss Cheese on a Roast Beef or Ham And Turkey Sandwich is good. and Parm on Pastas.

But I dont like Cheese other then that. Not Grilled Cheese. And man dont give me a cheese burger. I would rather have a hamburger.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    . . . And man dont give me a cheese burger. I would rather have a hamburger.
    I hate it when I go to a diner or other restaurant and order a "hamburger" but they give me a cheeseburger. It's even worse when you send it back, but then they try to give you the same burger again after doing a half-assed job of trying to scrape off cheese (but usually not getting it all off).

Invincible Member

I like cheese and broccoli and cheese and brussel sprouts.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Swiss Cheese on a Roast Beef or Ham And Turkey Sandwich is good. and Parm on Pastas.

But I dont like Cheese other then that. Not Grilled Cheese. And man dont give me a cheese burger. I would rather have a hamburger.
    I'm not quite so bad with cheese, but I'm not a fan of most of them. Swiss and provolone is good on roast beef/cheese steak, swiss again on the mushroom Swiss burger (with or without bacon) and a patty melt. Provolone on an Italian sub, chicken Parm, and such. Occasionally kashaval (a Bulgarian cheese similar to provolone or mozzarella), mozzarella, havarti, and such. Cheddar only blended with other cheeses commonly used in Mexican-American food, and never by itself.

And always, always melt the stuff. Cold cheese is right out in all circumstances other than cold pizza.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

I love cheese and all kinds of it. But I cut back on eating cheese many years ago, because it's so fattening. Now I find that I've become lactose intolerant. I still eat some dairy but I try to limit the amount and frequency, because the food might taste good going down but the after effects are not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The only cheese I probably couldn't stomach is casu martzu. I think they've even illegalized it.
    This is the first I have heard of it, but, apparently, it contains live insect larvae, so that’s probably why.