Page 379 of 439 FirstFirst ... 279329369375376377378379380381382383389429 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,685 of 6582
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I want to argue that there’s actually nothing wrong with “nostalgia-based” storytelling, and that by the same token, there’s nothing inherently good about “original” storytelling; a corollary would be that complaining about remakes and reboots is a tired bit of whining if you pretend it’s a wholly modern phenomenon, and usually is just misplaced annoyance at something else.

So “nostalgia” and “originality” should both just be dropped as anything but identification of a story’s genesis - plenty of “original” stuff has been completely forgettable tripe even though it’s also the genesis of all successful stories, and while it’s easy to think of “nostalgic” tripe, it’s also easy to find exceptionally good nostalgic stuff that elevated its premise and mythos… and as humanity, we’ve been doing this for thousands of years. Hell, I’d argue that the legend of King Arthur alone had been rebooted and remade about 100 times before mass media was even available, and that’s a comparatively young mythos compared to regular mythology and folklore.

…And kind of tied to that… complaining about JJ Abrams’s stuff for being nostalgic remakes or reboots is misguided, and strictly a pretentious argument with no real basis in reality, actually. He *has* made bad movies, and he *has* bad habits as a storyteller, don’t get me wrong - but they’re not based on his desire to use nostalgia as his starting point. He’s in the same class as Nicholas Meyer and Leonard Nimoy as a Star Trek movie director - they’re all guys who managed to direct two good Star Trek films, and I have to say that Star Trek Into Darkness is still better than most of the other films, even if it’s still pretty dumb in some areas. Similarly, he made the only watchable Star Wars Sequel Trilogy movie in The Force Awakens, and while, like with Star Trek, some of his mystery box-crazy philosophies and shortcuts caused problems with The Rise of Skywalker, that film’s failures have more to do with The Last Jedi being cancerously bad for a multi-part story.

Abrams should be criticized for his desire to take shortcuts and leave stuff unfinished, but frankly, more directors would be better served if they had some of his ability to identify what people liked about past artwork. He may be over-reliant on it, but it’s still an asset, not a liability.
    I feel like there's some deja vu on this conversation, but as I recall when discussing "original" vs "nostalgia" my response was something like: there's nothing inherently wrong with relying on familiarity and nostalgia when crafting a new story, or even doing version #256 of the King Arthur story (to use your example), in fact it's a good business strategy. It's why we have sequels and sequels and sequels to popular franchises, and the aim of most big studios is to somehow develop new "franchises" so they can pump those out because it's like printing money.

The problem for some of us comes when it's clear that nostalgia is your main strength and that when you take that away there's not much else there. For some the nostalgia is enough. I know many people who say Rogue One was their favorite Star Wars movie since the original trilogy based almost solely on that scene with Darth Vader in the hallway, but for me that seemed as cynical and lazy an example of nostalgia-wank and emotional manipulation of the audience as you're ever likely to see (though the cutesy baby version of another popular character that felt like something crafted in a boardroom to make SW fans puke with a tummy full of adorableness was a close second). Looking at the main characters, the plot, the pace, the dialogue, and the woodenness of the actors I'd rank it below at least the Phantom Menace and probably most of the other post-OG (OT?) movies.

As far as Abrams, I've never seen a movie of his that made me feel anything or stood out as something another run-of-the-mill studio approved director could have done. Nothing wrong with that, plenty of directors who fit that description. Can't all be Quentin Tarantinos or Wes Andersons (I intensely dislike his movies, but you'll never mistake his work for another director's). I don't know if it's fair to say he's what you'd get if you ordered Steven Spielberg off of Wish as some have, but it's probably not far off.

Nothing wrong with that, Spielberg's popular for a reason. They pander, they simplify things, they appeal to your nostalgia, and it makes the studios money. Some people aren't looking for art, they're looking to kick back and shut their mind off for a little while. Spielberg/Abrams/etc. are great for that sort of thing. Like reality shows or singing competition shows. Same thing with your McDonalds or the like, it's familiar and it's good enough and you don't have to do any work or think too much. That's comforting and has value. Some people just want more.

There is also a subset of folks who are looking to s##t on the popular thing because it's popular, and they're looking for hipster street cred for wanting something more unique and obscure (or at least to be perceived as doing so). I'm not one of them. I like football (doesn't get more common man), and Quarter Pounders with Cheese (though I'd prefer Wendy's, if available) and Disney hero movies. Sometimes though, especially when it's something like Star Wars that's not exactly rocket science, I want at least basic competence and perhaps (if it's not too much trouble) something new/exciting/unique added to the mix to make sure it's not attempt #256 of the King Arthur legend. But I'm not going to judge those looking for #256, and ask the same courtesy in return.

Retired

I don't like the use of the word "nostalgia." When people use it, I think they mean something else from the dictionary meaning. Just don't use the word "nostalgia." Come up with a different word that gets at exactly what you really mean.

My parents had old 78s and sometimes, when we were little, my sister and I would go downstairs and play these. One that we played a lot was Dinah Shore singing "Sentimental Journey" (1945). For some reason we found this really comical. We would be rolling around on the floor laughing. It's the song I hear in my head now whenever I think of a deep longing for the past--eine starke Sehnsucht nach der Vergangenheit.

Mighty Member

A majority of Americans are nostalgic for a Supreme Court that didn't deprive people of their rights...and that is going to lead to positive action!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I love Extra Cheese on my Pizza. But that is not cheese. That is pizza
    This is actually completely accurate and nobody can tell me otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    This is actually completely accurate and nobody can tell me otherwise
    You are a smart man

Also in the Dr Strange Movies. Wong is a much more fun and better character then Doctor Strange himself.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

You are a smart man

Also in the Dr Strange Movies. Wong is a much more fun and better character then Doctor Strange himself.
    Don't know if that is controversial?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Don't know if that is controversial?
    I dont. Every time I say it to one of my friends they get pissy. Maybe I am hanging with the wrong crowd?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I dont. Every time I say it to one of my friends they get pissy. Maybe I am hanging with the wrong crowd?
    Does that friend eat cheese without it being on pizza?

Also, exceptions should be made for things like chicken parmesan, especially if it's a chicken parm sandwich.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

A nonsensical statement I've seen is Chicago deep-dish pizza is a calzone.
    Pepperonis and other ingredients that go on a pizza go inside a calzone. All you can see is the crust for a calzone.

You can see the crust, cheese, and sauce for a Chicago deep-dish pizza, also toppings for certain Chicago deep-dish pizzas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    A nonsensical statement I've seen is Chicago deep-dish pizza is a calzone.
    Pepperonis and other ingredients that go on a pizza go inside a calzone. All you can see is the crust for a calzone.

You can see the crust, cheese, and sauce for a Chicago deep-dish pizza, also toppings for certain Chicago deep-dish pizzas.
    I've heard it described as a form of casserole more than a calzone (or a hybrid between pizza and casserole).

That said, the level of pizza wars where "My style is the only thing that should qualify as edible, much less pizza" that is on the internet is stupid. Even though I prefer NY style (followed closely by Detroit style), I'm willing to make room on my menu for nearly any style of pizza. If I'm not willing, it's because of personal taste, not some lame ideology.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Are used car salesmen really dishonest? So dishonest as ambulance chasers or establishment politicians?

In the STar Trek: deep Space Nine episode "Little Green Men", Quark tries to talk about business with a US general who then said, "The more we talk, the more you remind me of my brother-in-law." Quark asks "Is he a businessman?". The general answered, "Used car salesman."

Pete in the Goof Troop cartoon is a used car dealer.

I know an online friend who works at a used car dealership.

https://www.crazyegg.com/blog/used-c...man-marketing/
    “Used car salesman” is synonymous for sleazy, pushy, crooked sales.

It’s too bad, really. Sure, there may be some dishonest used car salespeople, but certainly the entire industry can’t be that bad.

Unfortunately, the stereotype persists. Why? Because we’ve all experienced the greasy, false friendship of that kind of salesperson. It’s off-putting, to say the least.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_salesperson

I bought a used car in 2020. I ended up only going to authorized dealers. because the few used car lots I tried were so sleazy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I've heard it described as a form of casserole more than a calzone (or a hybrid between pizza and casserole).

That said, the level of pizza wars where "My style is the only thing that should qualify as edible, much less pizza" that is on the internet is stupid. Even though I prefer NY style (followed closely by Detroit style), I'm willing to make room on my menu for nearly any style of pizza. If I'm not willing, it's because of personal taste, not some lame ideology.
    I've described Chicago deep dish pizza as a quiche made with mozzarella cheese instead of eggs.

I was amused by the guy who made up Spokane-style pizza. All the Spokane folks were like, "Hell, no", but the idea of taking a random place then assigning it an outrageous concoction entertained me.

Nothing wrong with Chicago Style Pizza, and if one prefers that, fine. I love pizza in New York and especially the wood fired type from Naples. But Chicago Style Pizza should always be referred to as Chicago Style Pizza. What we have in New York is...Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Chicago Style Pizza, and if one prefers that, fine. I love pizza in New York and especially the wood fired type from Naples. But Chicago Style Pizza should always be referred to as Chicago Style Pizza. What we have in New York is...Pizza.

This Family Guy Moment comes to mind.