Page 389 of 440 FirstFirst ... 289339379385386387388389390391392393399439 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,835 of 6590
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    pbr?

If you're talking "Pabst Blue Ribbon", why even drink it in the first place?

Hell, that's "beer" for people even older than me!
    I real life, I don't think I've drunk it more than 4 or 5 times. I'll always think of it as the beer that evil Dennis Hooper drank in "Blue Velvet".

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Guess it depends on where you live. Here in New York, Q104.3 is definitely Classic Rock. And as I drive around the Northeast, I find other stations that are as well.
    The big classic rock station for decades here was WLUP. A couple of years ago they became Christian broadcast. We still have a couple of stations here that have a classic rock format. But interestingly enuff, when I'm in the mood for that type of music, if I'm not putting on old records, I turn to the internet or You Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I real life, I don't think I've drunk it more than 4 or 5 times. I'll always think of it as the beer that evil Dennis Hooper drank in "Blue Velvet".
    My father's (over 80) favorite beer was Pabst. My niece (a little past 30) loves her PBR. Evidently it's made a comeback with the kids.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Boisterously Confused

Drinking PBR is pretty much declaring your distain for civilization. Or, perhaps, for gormand pretention.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-20-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Drinking PBR is pretty much declaring your distain for civilization. Or, perhaps, for gormand pretention.
    Or its declaring your disdain for, you know, . . . decent tasting food and beverages?

It reminds me of an old joke about Rolling Rock Beer (though you may be able to substitute PRB for Rolling Rock):
    Why is Rolling Rock beer like making love in a canoe?
    spoilers:

Because they're both f#@%in' close to water.
    end of spoilers

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    My father's (over 80) favorite beer was Pabst. My niece (a little past 30) loves her PBR. Evidently it's made a comeback with the kids.
    There was a fad about 10-ish years ago of young so-called hipsters drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon "ironically"...

There was a fad about 10-ish years ago of young so-called hipsters drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon "ironically"...
    Yeah, it really never went away, in these parts. Hipster bars have all kinds of microbrews and foreign beers, and also PBR. No doubt helps that it's cheap, too.

My "disdain for civilization" beer was Mickey's Big Mouths. Only partly ironic, because I actually enjoyed them!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

It wasn't that long ago for my niece, but when she spoke of PBR, I made the connection with my father's likes and was surprised. One really needs to go back to the seventies and the 18 yr old drinking age to see multiple occurrences youngsters drinking cheap horrible beers. Not that I have any real knowledge of such happenings.

I watched a YouTube channel of a self professed European beer snob blind taste testing American beers. The first episode was mid sized beer brewers, the ones jumping from craft breweries to mass market, the second was all the major market stuff. In the second part, PBR was one of his top choices (#1 was Coors Banquet).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . One really needs to go back to the seventies and the 18 yr old drinking age to see multiple occurrences youngsters drinking cheap horrible beers. Not that I have any real knowledge of such happenings.
    I was 18 years old back at the end of the '70s.
    It was strange because I was of legal drinking age in NJ, but when I went to college in Pennsylvania they had the 21-years-old drinking age. And it was in college that I started drinking beer (go figure).

Astonishing Member

In the 1950s through the mid-1960s, teenagers drank Pabst, Schlitz, and Falstaff, because it was cheap and available, and most importantly it was BEER! Everything was mass market in those days, so the kids didn't know (or care) that it was swill. It was BEER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    In the 1950s through the mid-1960s, teenagers drank Pabst, Schlitz, and Falstaff, because it was cheap and available, and most importantly it was BEER! Everything was mass market in those days, so the kids didn't know (or care) that it was swill. It was BEER!!!
    This went through the seventies as well. Availability was a huge attraction for beer brands. In the seventies and at least early eighties, Coors was looked upon in New England as a premium beer because it wasn't readily available. Talking with youth from Atlanta, they had the same opinion about Busch beer. Meanwhile (in NE) we thought Busch was ratpiss. The south felt the same about Coors. Both brands were readily available in the area that thought poorly of them.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Don't recall ever hearing about Falstaff when I was growing up in New Jersey (outside of New York City) . . .

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Most of the people complaining about Leonardo Dicaprio's dating life are bitter women who'll never get the chance to date him in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Most of the people complaining about Leonardo Dicaprio's dating life are bitter women who'll never get the chance to date him in the first place.
    People actually care about his dating life?