Page 40 of 440 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I feel the same way as well, but I also suspect for some reason that celebrity is dying. I have seen the point brought up a many a time when talking about the film industry that there aren't any real movie stars anymore.
    I don't think that celebrity is dying as much as the nature of it has changed. People like Kim Kardashian are famous for what exactly? And yet she's a celebrity.

I think with movie stars specifically, the days when you could have a hit movie just by having a certain star in it are pretty much over, but that has more to do with how people consume media these days. A fan might think say "Bobby Handsome" or whoever is the greatest ever, but not want to go to the theatre. They'll just buy all his DVDs.
    Last edited by ed2962; 09-11-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think that celebrity is dying as much as the nature of it has changed. People like Kim Kardashian are famous for what exactly? And yet she's a celebrity.

I think with movie stars specifically, the days when you could have a hit movie just by having a certain star in it are pretty much over, but that has more to do with how people consume media these days. A fan might think say "Bobby Handsome" or whoever is the greatest ever, but not want to go to the theatre. They'll just buy all his DVDs.
    Movies are slowly but steadily reaching into that baseball/football game upper-echelon region of entertainment that is pricing out more & more people. Now I want a full-blown Michael Bay like spectacle when I go to the movies.

Invincible Member

I like watching Dateline on NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    The so-called reality TV shows are staged.
    I don't think that's an unpopular or controversial opinion. If it is, something is very wrong with everyone.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I don't feel sorry for people who walk down the street texting--oblivious to their surroundings--who get mugged or run over.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Monkees should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There! I said it!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    They were the first rock 'n' roll group I liked as a little kid, so yeah!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

The US' fixation on sports is a key factor in its moral decay in general, and the erosion of its educational system in particular.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I agree as well!

I love the Monkees, but considering they didn't write the songs or play the music on most of their tracks, they were basically four actors, three of whom also sang.

Not sure that's really enough for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    DS9 is a bit of an acquired taste. I wasn't a big fan first run, but after a rewatch when I was in college, I really came to appreciate it. TNG actually ended up worse for me on a second viewing.
    I'm having a similar experience, loved TNG when it first aired and pretty much ignored DS9. Started watching DS9 a few months ago, almost to about halfway through season 3 now and while it took a bit to get going, it has some really, really well done episodes on par with or better than TNG's best(an early favorite for me being "Duet". Some really good world building with the Bajorans and Cardassians and some really great character relationships(Bashir and O'brien, Kira and Odo, Odo and Quark, Sisko and Dukat).

BANNED

My 9 year old daughter told me yesterday that a boy she knew became a girl over the summer. It came right after a person that I was watching on Twitter bragged about having a "non-binary kid". This bothered me because I do not believe children are capable of understanding the long term implications of their decisions. They have zero ability to raise themselves. Parents should encourage their children to express themselves but not to the point of changing their gender. Parents should encourage children to identify as the sex they were born as until they reach their teen years when - hopefully - they can truly understand what their decisions mean.

Boys and girls like to play with things that are typically identified with the other sex, and so do cisgender adults honestly. But children identifying with the opposite sex is something that they can possibly grow out of. They need the chance to grow out of it. If children are allowed to change their gender and even go through hormone therapy they could do irreversible damage to themselves psychologically and physiologically. This is why I see such actions by parents as reckless and harmful. In simpler terms, it's child abuse.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    My 9 year old daughter told me yesterday that a boy she knew became a girl over the summer. It came right after a person that I was watching on Twitter bragged about having a "non-binary kid". This bothered me because I do not believe children are capable of understanding the long term implications of their decisions. They have zero ability to raise themselves. Parents should encourage their children to express themselves but not to the point of changing their gender. Parents should encourage children to identify as the sex they were born as until they reach their teen years when - hopefully - they can truly understand what their decisions mean.

Boys and girls like to play with things that are typically identified with the other sex, and so do cisgender adults honestly. But children identifying with the opposite sex is something that they can possibly grow out of. They need the chance to grow out of it. If children are allowed to change their gender and even go through hormone therapy they could do irreversible damage to themselves psychologically and physiologically. This is why I see such actions by parents as reckless and harmful. In simpler terms, it's child abuse.
    I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that most drs won't give children hormones for that reason unless there's long ongoing medical/physical purpose determined at birth. I don't know if there's a more proper term than correcting a birth defect, but that's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm not sure.
    Should leave it at that. Ha.
    Last edited by Red Wolf; 09-18-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that most drs won't give children hormones for that reason unless there's long ongoing medical/physical purpose determined at birth. I don't know if there's a more proper term than correcting a birth defect, but that's my understanding.
    I don't know about the numbers of docs who won't provide hormone therapy to healthy children's but there are some who will. I've heard that children grow to look more like the opposite sex if they begin treatments early enough.