Page 437 of 441 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441 LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 6609

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I just drink either a pint of Guinness' ordinary stuff on St. Patrick's Day, or upgrade to a nice Irish coffee with a nice Bushmills. I've never tried it with my New Mexico Pinyon coffee, (flavored with pinyon), or my Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee, so I don't know if Irish coffee would work with those.
    It's a taste choice when using flavoring and/or alcohol in coffee. They may mix, they may not. What is pinyon, by the way?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It's a taste choice when using flavoring and/or alcohol in coffee. They may mix, they may not. What is pinyon, by the way?
    It's the nut of some sort of pine like tree native to the Southwest US. It and chicory coffee are my favorite kinds of coffee, though I do like ordinary coffee as well. They both make great coffee.

Chuck Berry was better then Elvis.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Chuck Berry was better then Elvis.
    Not sure they were in the same category.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not sure they were in the same category.
    Not really but I think Chick Berry had more talent and was a better singer.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

More talent, yes. But Elvis was a great singer.
    Berry helped invent Rock & Roll. Elvis made it a phenomena.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

More talent, yes. But Elvis was a great singer.
    Berry helped invent Rock & Roll. Elvis made it a phenomena.
    That winds up being a tough one.

I don't think that there is any way of knowing exactly what Berry would have been like without Johnnie Johnson being in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That winds up being a tough one.

I don't think that there is any way of knowing exactly what Berry would have been like without Johnnie Johnson being in the picture.
    The word was helped. Not created Rock & Roll alone. There was Ike Turner, Little Richard, Les Paul and so many rythym and blues artists.

There wouldn't be....without......keeps going back and back.

The word was helped. Not created Rock & Roll alone. There was Ike Turner, Little Richard, Les Paul and so many rythym and blues artists.

There wouldn't be....without......keeps going back and back.
    That is the exact thing in this specific instance.

It's not like Johnson was in play before Berry got started.

It is a pretty singular instance of how someone's art would have evolved without another person being in play at the exact time the foundations were being laid.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Yeah, the idea that Chuck Berry was remotely a better singer than Elvis is kind of silly, IMO. Oh, Chuck was great all-around, no doubt, but while Elvis could sing anything he could, Chuck couldn't have done the same with many of the King's hits.

A great guitarist and songwriter? No question. But as a singer, he was fine, but Elvis, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Fats Domino, and a few more were clearly higher on the list among the Founders.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, the idea that Chuck Berry was remotely a better singer than Elvis is kind of silly, IMO. Oh, Chuck was great all-around, no doubt, but while Elvis could sing anything he could, Chuck couldn't have done the same with many of the King's hits.

A great guitarist and songwriter? No question. But as a singer, he was fine, but Elvis, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Fats Domino, and a few more were clearly higher on the list among the Founders.
    Speaking of Roy Orbison, his version of Oh, Pretty Woman is miles ahead of the Van Halen version, which local radio seems to prefer for some reason known only to their tin ear. David Lee Roth never had anywhere near the vocal chops to sing anything Orbison did, and Eddie's admittedly superior guitar work is not enough better than the original to make up for how much less Roth is at the mic.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

Elvis just never did anything for me. I pefer Berry and his voice to Elvis. So to me that makes him better.

Elvis just never did anything for me. I pefer Berry and his voice to Elvis. So to me that makes him better.
    That's a different story. If you like Chuck's voice better (or Bob Dylan's or -yes, I'm being ridiculous now - Tiny Tim's), that's your preference and that's fine by me. But objectively, Chuck Berry didn't have nearly the range vocally or in music styles that Elvis had.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Speaking of Roy Orbison, his version of Oh, Pretty Woman is miles ahead of the Van Halen version, which local radio seems to prefer for some reason known only to their tin ear. David Lee Roth never had anywhere near the vocal chops to sing anything Orbison did, and Eddie's admittedly superior guitar work is not enough better than the original to make up for how much less Roth is at the mic.
    Roy's was the first version I ever heard (though in a '70s commercial for either Nair or some stocking brand ) and he certainly bests Diamond Dave at the mic, but Eddie's guitar work just blew me away as a young teen. Overall, the Big O wins, but it's close.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I have an Elvis Hits CD and like him, but I prefer a lot of other versions to his covers. For example, I find Big Mama Thornton’s Hound Dog far superior to the Elvis cover. I like Carl Perkins’ Blue Suede Shoes. There were better Always On My Mind versions before and after. Suspicious Minds. Fever. Etc.