Page 49 of 439 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Marcus Garvey had the answer for African people in America. Instead, we chose to stay.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 11-07-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Invincible Member

Kathy Griffin looks weird with short hair...

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Marcus Garvey had the answer for African people in America. Instead, we chose to stay.
    I dunno. I can't say my experience as a Black American is exactly the same being the child of immigrants but Garvey's solution to me came off like giving up and leaving. Eff that. Black Panthers like Angela Davis and Fred Hampton weren't perfect but they were on the right track.

Yeah ... not driven to argue, because it's "controversial opinions", but my two cents ... however much full credit may be denied or obscured, and however many barriers hindered them during their lives, all the life's work of many generations of millions of our ancestors went into building this country. For all the good and bad, we are shareholders.

Plus, realistically -- especially by now -- we are a distinct people, a distinct ethnic group ... just like there are many different nations and ethnic groups in Africa, the truth is that "African Americans" are a group defined in part by a shared history and cultural legacy. Easy enough to say we should return to Africa -- but the truth is that the best we could do is guess at what our particular African ancestry might be, and if we chose to return ... even as early as the turn of the twentieth century, the people "returning" would just have been immigrants to a largely foreign land.

Which is cool, if anyone chooses to do that, of course. Just saying -- love it or hate it, America is home for "African Americans". No getting around it, really.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I wish for Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon to become accountants at Warner since their actual accountants have become filmmakers. It would be a fitting punishment for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah ... not driven to argue, because it's "controversial opinions", but my two cents ... however much full credit may be denied or obscured, and however many barriers hindered them during their lives, all the life's work of many generations of millions of our ancestors went into building this country. For all the good and bad, we are shareholders.

Plus, realistically -- especially by now -- we are a distinct people, a distinct ethnic group ... just like there are many different nations and ethnic groups in Africa, the truth is that "African Americans" are a group defined in part by a shared history and cultural legacy. Easy enough to say we should return to Africa -- but the truth is that the best we could do is guess at what our particular African ancestry might be, and if we chose to return ... even as early as the turn of the twentieth century, the people "returning" would just have been immigrants to a largely foreign land.

Which is cool, if anyone chooses to do that, of course. Just saying -- love it or hate it, America is home for "African Americans". No getting around it, really.
    Additionally, had the majority of Afro-Americans returned to Africa, it's unlikely that the few who were most successful financially in the U.S. could have obtained similar levels of success in Third World nations.

It's arguable, if not provable, that the world status of "people of color" was boosted by the struggles of Black Americans.

Is it controversial to say that the enormously successful THOR RAGNAROK was a ghastly mess?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Modern art that is just a string of lights, or a bunch of tinsel should be qualified as interior decorations and not as Gallery art.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Is it controversial to say that the enormously successful THOR RAGNAROK was a ghastly mess?
    Cosign...critics definitely have a Marvel bias. Noway was that movie the best Marvel movie ever made. GTFO

As a woman i'm glad there's a reckoning when it comes to sexual assault/harassment, but a part of me is nervous about this movement going off a cliff, or a slippery slope. Hurt, oppressed people can become bitterly vindictive when gaining power. Probably why white people are so terrified of minorities getting into high positions of political power.

Kinda of controversial, but since i move to Toronto it has been a "interesting experience" when going to church, what i mean by that is that i find interesting to see people of different etnicity and backgrounds in church, asians, indian, philipinos.

I only say this because for most of my life i l have been going to church in my south american country and 80% to 90% was brown and the others were black or white, so i got used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Probably why white people are so terrified of minorities getting into high positions of political power.
    We are?

I'm much more terrified of the narcissistic pussy grabber in chief than I ever was of Obama.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    As a woman i'm glad there's a reckoning when it comes to sexual assault/harassment, but a part of me is nervous about this movement going off a cliff, or a slippery slope. Hurt, oppressed people can become bitterly vindictive when gaining power. Probably why white people are so terrified of minorities getting into high positions of political power.
    they should be terrified

they fear being treated like they have treated minorities all these years

I say that as a black man, who was sexually assaulted while serving in the USN

Hurt people can become bitter and vindictive, but not all do. I think it's more common that people who have been truly wronged are less likely to inflict that same injury on someone else ... because they actually get why it's wrong. Mostly, nobody (healthy) really wants to become a monster.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Hurt people can become bitter and vindictive, but not all do.
    Of course, but i'm still worried about a kinda sex panic, and vindictive witch-hunt happening. I also don't think every person accused of sexual misconduct should get the equivalent of a death penalty. I use to believe that these cases needs a zero tolerance policy across the board. But i'm not so sure anymore. Also i fear the possibility that one false accusation could torpedo the #MeToo moment
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 11-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.