Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1870
  1. #61
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I don't get into the hero worship either, but some do do it to protect and serve. Some do it for the money. In the case of police, some do it so they can be bullies.
    I tink even "some" is an exaggeration. A very, very small minority.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Tacoma, WA.
    Posts
    2,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't care about any of the "hot topics" that dominate the news and the political discussion

    I don't care about police brutality, I don't care about 'mass shootings,' I don't care about ISIS, I dont care about gun laws, I don't care about refugees, I don't care about planned parenthood, I don't care about college kid protests

    I am 100% desensitized by the bombardment of news, the frequency of "bad stuff" happening, and outrage over stuff that it means nothing to me at all because none of that stuff directly affects me at all.

    Makes me a horrible person, but I relaly do not care. I care more about Black Panthers cool new vibranium force push than any of that shit
    Naw, man. You're not a horrible person. You and I and scores of others are suffering from compassion fatigue. When you hear about all these senseless murders and acts of brutality, you can't help thinking there but for the grace of God go I. I tell you, I would love to be comfortably numb, or deeply immersed in some form of escapism. But you can't escape reality. And so your castles made of sand slips into the sea, eventually. . .It's funny, it's our compassion and sympathy that reminds us that we're still part of the human family. Messed up as we are, we're all in this together.

  3. #63
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    Naw, man. You're not a horrible person. You and I and scores of others are suffering from compassion fatigue. When you hear about all these senseless murders and acts of brutality, you can't help thinking there but for the grace of God go I. I tell you, I would love to be comfortably numb, or deeply immersed in some form of escapism. But you can't escape reality. And so your castles made of sand slips into the sea, eventually. . .It's funny, it's our compassion and sympathy that reminds us that we're still part of the human family. Messed up as we are, we're all in this together.
    if I wasn't forced to have a Facebook account for work, I would miss 99% of the news and I woudl be better for it
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  4. #64
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,100

    Default

    I liked the 1998 Godzilla movie better than the one last year.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member CSTowle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I liked the 1998 Godzilla movie better than the one last year.
    Stepping back with the distance of time, after growing up as a childhood mega-fan of the series and psyched out of my mind watching that awesome trailer where the dock starts exploding as she comes up then being massively disappointed by an action comedy fronted by Ferris Bueller and recycling the raptors from Jurassic Park, I'll admit I do too. Taking each of them for what they are.

    I wanted the '90s Godzilla to be a serious remake. It wasn't, but it was fun enough. This last one was a serious remake, and it wasn't fun or entertaining at all.
    Formerly finfangfool

  6. #66
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Stepping back with the distance of time, after growing up as a childhood mega-fan of the series and psyched out of my mind watching that awesome trailer where the dock starts exploding as she comes up then being massively disappointed by an action comedy fronted by Ferris Bueller and recycling the raptors from Jurassic Park, I'll admit I do too. Taking each of them for what they are.

    I wanted the '90s Godzilla to be a serious remake. It wasn't, but it was fun enough. This last one was a serious remake, and it wasn't fun or entertaining at all.
    That's a perfect analysis.

  7. #67

    Default

    Golgo said:

    The super-nerds for both are distasteful man-children. Also, Fantasy geeks are even more pathetic if that's possible. I imagine basements from floor to ceiling of crammed bookcases of $500 statues of huge breasted females carrying huge battle-axes. While dust caked spaceships hanging off the ceiling held up by fishing wire sway gently in the breeze above their heads.
    This is only a controversial opinion when expressed on a comic-book messboard.

  8. #68
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,316

    Default

    I posted this in the thread relating to The Mission column but I'm going to post here too cuz...uhm, controversy...

    I like Joe's articles but I'll nit-pick about a couple of things...

    When he says video footage of shooting being ineffectual in a court of law...if he's referring to to the tape of the Chicago cop shooting a teen with a knife, that's not what happened. The police basically tried to settle with family and then cover the whole thing up.

    Batman saving a black child is not particularly unique to our times, there's a number of stories going back thru the decades where Bat stories does deals with this subject. The first thing I thought of was that Dini/Ross story from about 15 years ago. There's Batman:Jazz (which I didn't read). There the scene in Batman:Year One where Gordon witnesses a cop harass a black teen. I'm sure there's others that I can't think of right now...

    Also, the comic book version of Civil War is a terrible analogy for civil liberties/personal rights etc

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I liked the 1998 Godzilla movie better than the one last year.
    I can't speak for the 1998 one, but last year's movie was mind numbingly tedious.

  10. #70
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I can't speak for the 1998 one, but last year's movie was mind numbingly tedious.
    I liked it. But, so far, America hasn't given me a kaiju movie as fun as the best of Japan, or even the middle-grade Godzillas.

    Common wisdom seems to hold that it's because they mess up the monster, but I think, more than that, many of them don't seem to get that the human characters have to be at the very least interesting, and the movie still has to have an agenda, it needs a plot beyond "and there is monster pew pew pew baaa-aaang!"
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  11. #71
    Swollen Member GOLGO 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Golgo said:



    This is only a controversial opinion when expressed on a comic-book messboard.
    I quite enjoy playing with fire.

  12. #72
    Veteran Member CSTowle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,641

    Default

    Well, I thought Cloverfield was a good example of a Godzilla film done right and they didn't develop the characters much. If you get dizzy with the shaky cam, not great, but I never have that problem.
    Formerly finfangfool

  13. #73
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Well, I thought Cloverfield was a good example of a Godzilla film done right and they didn't develop the characters much. If you get dizzy with the shaky cam, not great, but I never have that problem.
    I enjoyed Cloverfield a lot more in the theater. But, yeah, it was good.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  14. #74
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,868

    Default

    i have never enjoyed a James Bond movie

    I hate them all
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  15. #75
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    I can't see a show like Dexter coming out today. Not without a lot of criticism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •