Page 55 of 441 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    in fact

I quite like this topic so i found this to further explain my point.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/politi...ote/index.html

Many Hispanic voters in New Mexico proud of Spanish ancestry

"There is that deep sense of belonging on two fronts, not only (to) the historic part of Spain, but also knowing that there is a native connection to the original people of this land," he says.

But in New Mexico, not all Hispanics are created equal. The CUNY study found that 30% of the Hispanic electorate does not identify as descendent from any Latin American country.
    "They don't feel like they came from somewhere, generally speaking. They identified with Spain," explains De La Cruz. "So even when Mexico became ... Mexico, because they were able to evict the Spanish, the people here still identify themselves as Spanish. They didn't identify with being Mexicans."

De La Cruz adds that when New Mexico joined the United States in 1912, "They didn't cross the border -- the border crossed them." That difference can create tensions among native New Mexicans and Latinos who arrived from other countries. De La Cruz acknowledges that some of his Hispanic constituents don't like the newcomers.

He says even his relatives on his mother's side, who can trace their heritage to colonial times, had a hard time accepting his dad because he came from Mexico.
    "To them, he was just a guy from the south," he says.

But when it comes to casting their ballots, Hispanic New Mexicans seem to favor those with last names similar to theirs. De La Cruz points to the current governor as an example.
    "Susana Martinez is a Republican, yet she carried this district, which is heavily Democratic, because she was Latin
    a. She was a female and she was going to create a legacy that people wanted to hang on to," De La Cruz says.

That sentiment is echoed by Joe Monahan, a local political analyst who says that in opinion polls, an unknown Hispanic candidate would gather support just because of his or her heritage. But he adds that in a presidential race, Republicans shouldn't think that just because they nominate a Hispanic to the top ticket, they can turn a state that voted solidly Democrat in the past three presidential cycles."

But he sees in New Mexico the blueprint for politicians nationwide, as Hispanics consolidate their place as the country's largest minority group.
    "Because the Hispanic population here has had more of an opportunity to put down roots and become a part of a minority majority state, I think it's a place to watch in the future as America becomes more like New Mexico in its ethnic makeup." Monahan says.

Invincible Member

I find it funny that some of Lauren Southern's alt-right fans are freaking out after finding out that she dated a brown dude in the past.

Hetero women practice "sexual objectification" just as much as hetero men. They're just subtler about their expression of same.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Star Wars. It's impossible to articulate how massively exaggerated and overrated the entire franchise is. Well, nearly impossible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Star Wars. It's impossible to articulate how massively exaggerated and overrated the entire franchise is. Well, nearly impossible.
    I must agree.

When I ask people why they love it so much, they say, "My childhood was all about the light sabers!"

Man, what a silly weapon. A light saber! Suppose the other guy brings a gun to the fight.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-21-2017 at 06:15 AM.

Exaggerated it what way?

You don't like it, fine, I am sure there is something you love that is crap. Which is okay as well.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I must agree.

When I ask people why they love it so much, they say, "My childhood was all about the light sabers!"

Man, what a silly weapon. A light saber! Suppose the other guy brings a gun to the fight.
    Well, in the movies this actually happened several times and the guy with the light saber is able to hold his own against guys with guns.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Hetero women practice "sexual objectification" just as much as hetero men. They're just subtler about their expression of same.
    I'm not so sure this is controversial...

Probably already mentioned, but I like the Netflix Marvel shows far more than I like the Marvel films. The films are fun lightweight action/comedies, but Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage feel like they were made for me. Okay, Iron Fist not so much, and I hate even thinking about the wasted opportunity of The Defenders. Hopefully the next season will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Exaggerated it what way?

You don't like it, fine, I am sure there is something you love that is crap. Which is okay as well.
    Assumption at the plate. Swing and a miss! Never intimated a thing about like or dislike, Kirb.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, in the movies this actually happened several times and the guy with the light saber is able to hold his own against guys with guns.
    Wasn't the Man With No Name from all those Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. Or that cat Trinity?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Pink Floyd's The Final Cut is an excellent album and ranks with Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of The Moon in terms of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm not so sure this is controversial...
    The controversy I see playing out in the news is the whole sexual harassment furor. Yes, women and men both should report real sexual crimes. But things like "Senator Franken grabbed my butt six years ago" plays to the idea that women are these paragons of virtue that one dare not defile on any level. Some perspective is needed, at the very least.

Assumption at the plate. Swing and a miss! Never intimated a thing about like or dislike, Kirb.
    Okay, I still ask, exaggerated how? Overrated how? Massively? How?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    The controversy I see playing out in the news is the whole sexual harassment furor. Yes, women and men both should report real sexual crimes. But things like "Senator Franken grabbed my butt six years ago" plays to the idea that women are these paragons of virtue that one dare not defile on any level. Some perspective is needed, at the very least.
    The only problem I'm having with recent events is the idea by some that a charge of sexual harassment automatically means guilt. I'm sorry, but we all are capable of lying.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?