Page 6 of 439 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    I can't see a show like Dexter coming out today. Not without a lot of criticism.
    Dexter had a lot of criticism when it debuted, didn't it?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    A show about a forensic scientist moonlighting as a serial killer? I'd be shocked if it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    i have never enjoyed a James Bond movie

I hate them all
    Me either, in fact, the only spy movie I ever really liked was Man From Uncle.

Veronica > Betty

yeah I said it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    Veronica > Betty

yeah I said it.
    I like Betty better, but Sabrina was my favorite as a kid.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Every individual who ever talked about "improving the comics medium" was really talking about:

(1) Promoting his or her own work against works that were successful,

(2) Trying to downgrade popular work by doing a "superiority dance" about its supposed badness,

(3) Both at the same time.

(To be sure, comics-pros who are already popular sometimes say similar things about their contemporaries and have similar motives in their judgments, but they tend to do it less than the "I'm improving the medium" guys.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I don't like any of them because Keanu Reeves has the acting ability of a two by four (wonderful person in real life, though, I hear).
    He is a nice person. But as far as I have watched his work on his movies I cannot say he acts, he is just himself.

The majority of people working in comics love comics or they wouldn't be there. At least, American comics.

It's too much hassle, for too little pay, and too little acclaim, to do it for any other reason, and stay in for years or decades.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Me either, in fact, the only spy movie I ever really liked was Man From Uncle.
    May I ask what it is about them you don't enjoy?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

I remember criticism about the show glorifying violence, but never anything about the implications of a guy working in the police department going around killing people. Oh, and some criticisms about the author pretending to be a new writer when he had been around for years under a different pen name.

BANNED

Think Dexter had a couple of things going for it. First off, it was on Showtime. Ugly stepsister to HBO, pay cable, and came on late enough that kiddies wouldn't stumble on to it. Second, they went out of their way to hammer home "the code" and his emphasis (like the Punisher) of only targeting "bad guys". To relieve the guilt of the viewer and allowing them to enjoy the killing (assuming they're into that sort of thing, and if they're watching Dexter chances are good they do). Like superheroes, where we wouldn't want anonymous guys in masks beating people up to solve problems in real life but it's cool on film. Third, the problem I'd see today would be comparisons to Ferguson type incidents, and he's the farthest thing from the meathead racist hair-trigger anger problem type that ends up shooting young black men and women in a rage. He's cold, calculated, stalks his victims, and they're mostly white (and if they're not it's secondary to whatever it is he's killing them for). So I think people'd be OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    May I ask what it is about them you don't enjoy?
    To me they're just so by the numbers, you've seen one you've seen them all. Stop the Russians from firing the missle, stop the terrorists from firing the missle. Winter Soldier wad kind of like that, Man from Uncle was pretty formulaic too, but it was so stylish I didn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    To me they're just so by the numbers, you've seen one you've seen them all. Stop the Russians from firing the missle, stop the terrorists from firing the missle. Winter Soldier wad kind of like that, Man from Uncle was pretty formulaic too, but it was so stylish I didn't mind.
    Check out John Boorman's adaptation of The Tailor of Panama, with Brosnan and Rush. Not a stop the bomb movie with some gimmicky showpieces, but a funny and brutal look at bored men with a little bit of authority or a sliver of information can destroy lives or change nations.

The majority of people working in comics love comics or they wouldn't be there. At least, American comics.

It's too much hassle, for too little pay, and too little acclaim, to do it for any other reason, and stay in for years or decades.
    Is that a controversial opinion or a response?

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Is that a controversial opinion or a response?
    It seems to be. Lots of "they're just pitching a movie as a comic" or "they're in it for the money" gets thrown out about everyone from Warren Ellis to Frank Miller.