Page 61 of 439 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Hmmm, who's slow again?
    Still having a kneejerk reaction over a buzzword. And i'm sure you know what i meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Still having a kneejerk reaction over a buzzword. And i'm sure you know what i meant.
    No biggie man, i really don't feel like having a long ass discussion about this so, yeah, let's forget it.

The Asian kid looks somewhat anxious though.

Is that because he knows Supes could crush his skull? Is that because of how close he is of the mighty red underoos? Is he disturbed by Supes weird ass proportions?
    Maybe he heard what Superman did to the the Japanese during WW2.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

There was quite a lot of hype over here in the UK about last weekend's Super Bowl game but I don't know why they bothered. Interest in American football really is extremely marginal over here.

A full Wembley Stadium for the odd NFL game does not mean that the sport has a big following in this country. Most of the crowd there were day-trippers that would attend any event at the stadium.

Especially when compared to association football which will NEVER be superseded in our hearts and minds (warts and all).

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Maybe he heard what Superman did to the the Japanese during WW2
    That does bring an interesting twist to the whole scene.

Can't help to wonder though, is Superman gently holding a child's head, or is he just trying to score one more on the sly?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    There was quite a lot of hype over here in the UK about last weekend's Super Bowl game but I don't know why they bothered. Interest in American football really is extremely marginal over here.

A full Wembley Stadium for the odd NFL game does not mean that the sport has a big following in this country. Most of the crowd there were day-trippers that would attend any event at the stadium.

Especially when compared to association football which will NEVER be superseded in our hearts and minds (warts and all).
    Do you know how many watched the game? Over here in the colonies 103 million people watched the game out of a population of 327 million, so about 1 in 3 watched it.

That does bring an interesting twist to the whole scene.

Can't help to wonder though, is Superman gently holding a child's head, or is he just trying to score one more on the sly?
    I don't think it was a race thing with Superman. He was very tough on the Germans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Do you know how many watched the game? Over here in the colonies 103 million people watched the game out of a population of 327 million, so about 1 in 3 watched it.
    I'm sorry but I don't. I did do a quick internet check but couldn't find anything. To be fair, the game would have been transmitted quite late at night over here, affecting it's potential audience.

Every now and then though the British media seems to get overly excited about American football here. In stark contrast to the general public who have a far greater preference for soccer, despite it's occasional faults.

Every now and then though the British media seems to get overly excited about American football here.
    Really? I've never seen that happen, but then I tend to avoid anything to do with sport.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I'm starting to hate video game playthroughs now, they use to be kinda helpful.But now most are so sloppily done and frustrating to watch. Cause players either don't explore enough, use the right weapons or aren't thorough. And it's because they're in a rush to put their video up before everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Really? I've never seen that happen, but then I tend to avoid anything to do with sport.
    Yeah, quite a few of the national papers did centre page pull outs about the game, like they usually publish about the Premier League every weekend. The BBC also covered it. There was an advert for it during last weeks 'Match Of The Day' that went along the lines of 'You think THAT'S football (relating to soccer)? Pft! THIS is REAL football (relating to American football and showing all these clips)!'. Gary Lineker looked straight at the camera in disdain afterwards . There seems to be the occasional drive to establish the sport better in this country. Nothing wrong with that but I'm afraid that soccer is way too deeply entrenched.

I remember them establishing a Europe wide American football league during the 1990's. On a highlights show on ITV it showed a team called the London Monarchs playing a game in a virtually empty White Hart Lane. That league disbanded years ago. Of course, the difference between that and the actual NFL are chalk and cheese in terms of overall impact.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

Having said that, it is disappointing some of the Democrats are still trying to re-fight the Bernie/Clinton primaries.
    I think that's the circular firing squad that's being referenced. I would argue that a lot of people on the left only have the "I hate Donald Trump" thing in common and little else. What's called the SJW movement isn't really a movement. It's just a bunch of very loosely connected groups that argue with each other. TVTropes has a name for it. It's called We ARE Struggling Together lol

BTW, i find that "freshly turned" zombies to be waaaaay creepier than the putrefied decaying zombies. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, quite a few of the national papers did centre page pull outs about the game, like they usually publish about the Premier League every weekend. The BBC also covered it. There was an advert for it during last weeks 'Match Of The Day' that went along the lines of 'You think THAT'S football (relating to soccer)? Pft! THIS is REAL football (relating to American football and showing all these clips)!'. Gary Lineker looked straight at the camera in disdain afterwards . There seems to be the occasional drive to establish the sport better in this country. Nothing wrong with that but I'm afraid that soccer is way too deeply entrenched.

I remember them establishing a Europe wide American football league during the 1990's. On a highlights show on ITV it showed a team called the London Monarchs playing a game in a virtually empty White Hart Lane. That league disbanded years ago. Of course, the difference between that and the actual NFL are chalk and cheese in terms of overall impact.
    With all the worries about concussion in American Football to the point a lot of parents aren't letting their kids play it coupled with how many youth soccer leagues there are I could see a time where soccer style football
    become more popular in the USA too. Because to have football teams of any quality you need to have players that started playing as children. And once the quality goes, so does the interest.

One of the good thing about soccer is that you need almost nothing to play the game. Just a ball, some people and here you go.

American football now, it's not as easy.