Page 62 of 440 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    With all the worries about concussion in American Football to the point a lot of parents aren't letting their kids play it coupled with how many youth soccer leagues there are I could see a time where soccer style football
    become more popular in the USA too. Because to have football teams of any quality you need to have players that started playing as children. And once the quality goes, so does the interest.
    Is that right about kids not being encouraged to play American football? The next generation of gridiron players are gonna have to come from somewhere.

There is a tendency among European football fans to look down on the growing soccer scene in the US. The clichés about Americans knowing nothing about the sport are still quite commonplace over here. I don't share them though. I actually enjoy watching MLS games and seeing the league expand and grow. Not sure what I'd have done if in some other reality I were a resident in the New York area though. One MLS club a franchise of Manchester City and the other owned by Red Bull. Hobson's choice that. Which would be the lesser of those 2 evils? New York Cosmos would have to be the team for me in that case.

Just like I can't see American football ever eclipsing soccer over here I also can't see it the other way round either. Seeing soccer grow in the US is interesting but I can't see it ever challenging the NFL.

I'm a pretty big American Football fan, but I'm not going to let my children play. It's just too dangerous and there's no real reason for the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'm a pretty big American Football fan, but I'm not going to let my children play. It's just too dangerous and there's no real reason for the risk.
    It's going to be majorly controversial but the only way American Football to survive is a restructuring of the game to eliminate tackling. Even minor hits to the head that aren't obvious concussions cause brain damage
    Something like touch football or flag football is the only answer and I'm not sure people want to see that. But it may be a choice of that or no football at all. The forward pass was created in part as a means of
    reducing injuries many long years ago and it ended up making the game more exciting. So if football could survive the forward pass, it might be able to survive other modifications. With touch football you would
    still have the excitement of passing the ball, running the ball, kicking field goals, and sacking the quarterback without all the dangers of head trauma.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Nothing controversial about that. Some football players, past and present have said they won't let their kids play the game.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Something like touch football or flag football is the only answer and I'm not sure people want to see that
    Or something more like in rugby.

The point being to make the guy from the other team fall, not to hurt him.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Or something more like in rugby.

The point being to make the guy from the other team fall, not to hurt him.
    If you want to reduce injuries in American Football, require teams to go back to Single Platoon play, limit substitutions, and cut down on the amount of time between a down and the next snap. If players are forced to play both offense and defense, and have less time to rest, the size of players will decrease, and the power they can deliver to a hit will decrease with it.

White privilege is a concept that i find flaw, for one it seems is only some first world countries have

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    White privilege is a concept that i find flaw, for one it seems is only some first world countries have
    America was certainly founded on the principles white skin privilege.

Just because something is not global in nature doesn't mean it is flawed, it just means that it is limited in scope to certain cultures.

JJREZ.jpg

Not sure if you would call it controversial, but I find its not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    If to have a political conscience, be aware of social issues and to actually have so damn compassion once in a while makes me a SJW, then i'm proud to be called one.
    I for one would not define the SJW in terms of compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Just because something is not global in nature doesn't mean it is flawed, it just means that it is limited in scope to certain cultures.
    That why i said for one thing, i find the concept to be hard to apply to poor white people or whites living in a country where whites arent the majority.

Dont get me wrong for the flaw it had i believe there is some merit to it, specially in the US

That why i said for one thing, i find the concept to be hard to apply to poor white people or whites living in a country where whites arent the majority.

Dont get me wrong for the flaw it had i believe there is some merit to it, specially in the US
    I consider myself a poor white person and I just gave an example of it applying to me in the Politics thread, so take that as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    America was certainly founded on the principles white skin privilege.
    All you guys had to do was to set free the slaves after independe, sure it could had taken from 5 to 20 years to finally end slavery like it happened in some latino american countries but at least they would had been free from the beguining.

I believe that is a reason for latinoamerican for no having high racial tension between blacks, mestizos and whites as in the US, in some cases there is no racisl tension at all because together they all fought for independence against the Spaniards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I consider myself a poor white person and I just gave an example of it applying to me in the Politics thread, so take that as you will.
    Yeah i decided to comment about the subject here because is more opinion than politics