Page 74 of 441 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 6609
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I want to say maybe the earlier HB cartoons? Magilla Gorilla, Flintstones, Jetsons, Quick Draw McGraw...stuff like that. It's been a while since I've tried to watch any of them though. And really, due to limitations in budget, the TV stuff had to go for a different type of humor than the theatrical shorts.
    Early H&B was indeed funnier than what I watching on Saturdays by the late '60s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The early ones were pretty good, IMO, but they became progressively worse as the years rolled along. In fact, the animation for Hanna-Barbera programs in general got crappier every year until The Cartoon Network took over in the '90s.

As for funny, were any of those old Saturday mornings cartoons really humorous the way old animated shorts (Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Heckle and Jeckle, etc.) were?
    I might actually have something slightly "Controversial" here.

In the sense that the shorts had the occasional "Bigger Picture" laughs(versus all of the obvious stuff you were supposed to get out of an episode), I would say that Thundarr The Barbarian had some of those same sorts of laughs.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

In the sense that the shorts had the occasional "Bigger Picture" laughs(versus all of the obvious stuff you were supposed to get out of an episode), I would say that Thundarr The Barbarian had some of those same sorts of laughs.
    The show had Princess Ariel, so I really don't need to respond any further.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Hey, Kirby and Gerber, and yes, if not laughs, definitely chuckles.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    So basically you think sexism is a bigger issue? I'm not judging i'm just trying to understand. If so i vehemently disagrees that a black man has more privilege than a well off white women. In fact i think White women in some cases has more white privilege than white men. If i were to blame men, i would blame them for putting White women on that social totem pole.
    I'm not saying that sexism is a greater problem than racism, I saying it's complicated. I'm a black man. Let's say me and a black woman both have to make a business proposal to a white man, I'll probably get the benefit of the doubt over that black woman. But let's say me and that same black woman are walking down the street and an angry cop approaches, I'm the one who's getting thrown to the ground. Let's say I'm up for a corporate promotion but my competition is a white woman, the glass ceiling is much higher for her than it is for me, but mine is higher than a black woman. I'm at college age and a white girl accuses me of rape, my goose is cooked. But same white girl accuses a white frat boy, the issue is swept under a rug.

I'm saying race, class, and gender issues over lap and that a person can have privilege in some circumstances and have none in others.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Heavy Metal without clean vocals is TRASH. I'm sorry you post-thrash edge lords, but Metal needs real singers too.

Also what passes for Hip-Hop today should be it's OWN genre separate from Hip-Hop. Cause that shit's not Rap/Hip-Hop

Rihanna isn't R&B. hell Beyonce is barely R&B.

I like Bruno Mars but his stuff is definitely derivative.
    If you mean me, probably the majority if the stuff I post in the Metal thread is from the 80's I don't have a hard time with most of the vocals. I will admit that a lot of stuff that came after I can't take seriously...it's guys trying to sound scary, but they sound like cookie monster.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

It is impossible to support Donald Trump and not be...

A- Completely vacuous
    B- Politically Illiterate
    C- Gleefully ignorant
    D-Utterly racist

I'm not saying that sexism is a greater problem than racism, I saying it's complicated. I'm a black man. Let's say me and a black woman both have to make a business proposal to a white man, I'll probably get the benefit of the doubt over that black woman. But let's say me and that same black woman are walking down the street and an angry cop approaches, I'm the one who's getting thrown to the ground. Let's say I'm up for a corporate promotion but my competition is a white woman, the glass ceiling is much higher for her than it is for me, but mine is higher than a black woman. I'm at college age and a white girl accuses me of rape, my goose is cooked. But same white girl accuses a white frat boy, the issue is swept under a rug.

I'm saying race, class, and gender issues over lap and that a person can have privilege in some circumstances and have none in others.

Yeah, intersectionality is a thing ... on the one hand, I can see where it could seem like racism would play a bigger part than sexism, because Sam Walton's daughter inherited as much wealth as his sons, and this is how wealth has been passed down along color lines through many generations. Particularly since women have not been as excluded from the world of business in recent generations as they traditionally were; on the rich side of things, it kind of seems racism would be a bigger deal than sexism. On the other hand though, if we look at the far end of poverty, to human trafficking ... or, just people vulnerable to sexual abuse or exploitation ... well, totally true that being male does not make you invulnerable to any of that, but I'd estimate that for the dirt-poor and powerless, gender would be the greater metric of vulnerability, than race. But, then ... I suppose, the greatest factor in all of that is the poverty, so class?

I don't know, but yeah, intersectionality. Privilege is not an absolute quantity.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    It is impossible to support Donald Trump and not be...

A- Completely vacuous
    B- Politically Illiterate
    C- Gleefully ignorant
    D-Utterly racist
    Reminds me of something I saw on Facebook which said, in effect:

“If you support Donald Trump, you’re either a billionaire or an idiot. Check your bank account and see which one you are.”
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I don't disagree with that, Though the privilege a black man has over a black woman isn't that significant IMO, I\it is there though. Also i'm not sure about that police example, because plenty black women have been victims of police violence.

If you mean me, probably the majority if the stuff I post in the Metal thread is from the 80's I don't have a hard time with most of the vocals. I will admit that a lot of stuff that came after I can't take seriously...it's guys trying to sound scary, but they sound like cookie monster.
    I wasn't referring to anyone from this board. But other message boards and social media platforms where people argue about metal. For whatever reason people think growled vocals is the standard. When frankly it's not, you still need a REAL singer for both Rock AND Metal. Listen to Russell Allen, Corey Glover, Lajon Witherspoon. A lot of older bands had HUGE influence from black R&B/Soul singers.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Also when Straight Line Stitch and the Butcher Babies started using clean vocals their music actually sounded better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Is it okay to be against sexism while hoping I was dead before that implant ever came to be?
    Well, it’s supposed to empower instead of restrict. For instance, if a woman got pregnant and decided she didn’t want it, a temporary adjustment of her hormone levels would render the inside of her body inhospitable to the developing embryo, thus ending it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Well, it’s supposed to empower instead of restrict. For instance, if a woman got pregnant and decided she didn’t want it, a temporary adjustment of her hormone levels would render the inside of her body inhospitable to the developing embryo, thus ending it.
    How does this help end sexism?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Reminds me of something I saw on Facebook which said, in effect:

“If you support Donald Trump, you’re either a billionaire or an idiot. Check your bank account and see which one you are.”
    To be fair, a few of Donald's supporters do only have wealth in the hundreds of millions.

Mighty Member

How does this help end sexism?
    It pretty much ensures that the right to one’s own body remains iron-clad, and anyone who argues against it are going to have a WAY harder time than ever before.