Page 82 of 439 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 6583

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Among other reasons science? Because landings weren't faked and quite a lot of samples were taken back to Earth, and some scientific instruments put on the Moon?
    I am hoping the folks here are just joking around and pointing out some of the silliness of the "fake landing" nuts.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Even though this is a website about comic books, I rarely visit the actual forums about comics because the posters there are too geekish with their comments as they take their love for books and characters WAY too seriously for my liking. Does that make for a controversial opinion? Does that make me a cranky old man having a "Get off my lawn!" moment?
    I don't read any of the Big Two books. So the threads I visit are those for the books I do read from Image, Dark Horse, etc... but not many of them have active threads.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Which brings up my next question. Why do six landings? It's not like people had much interest after the first two. The only thing that made Apollo 13 interesting was it failed. One or at most two after that
    would have proved the point if they were trying to demonstrate it could be done after a failure. Anything faked after Apollo 14 was just a waste of special effects money. Really the first one was all
    that would have been needed. Look we made it there. Why not do a fake Mars landing as an encore? And then maybe a fake Venus, Jupiter and Saturn. Why just do six more fake Moon landings.
    Landing astronauts on The Moon and safely returning them to Earth was the most prominent milestone of The Apollo Program, but hardly the only one. Like Mercury and Gemini before it, Apollo also had a goal of preparing NASA and its people for a next step: exploring Mars. The Cold War, Nationalist, and Industrial objectives of the Moon Missions tend to overshadow the fact that the landings were mainly intended to test means of operating on an alien environment. It's one of the reasons that the last three Apollo missions included Lunar Rover Vehicles; they were field-testing ground transport for a Mars mission.

Von Braun's vision was the construction of a permanent orbital habitat that, among other uses, would serve as a launching and retrieval station for Mars flights. That's what The Space Shuttle program was originally organized for; to develop a vehicle that performed routine flights between the station and Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Which brings up my next question. Why do six landings? It's not like people had much interest after the first two. The only thing that made Apollo 13 interesting was it failed. One or at most two after that
    would have proved the point if they were trying to demonstrate it could be done after a failure. Anything faked after Apollo 14 was just a waste of special effects money. Really the first one was all
    that would have been needed. Look we made it there. Why not do a fake Mars landing as an encore? And then maybe a fake Venus, Jupiter and Saturn. Why just do six more fake Moon landings.
    Sequels sell. Although I'm at a loss to explain how these additional fictions would pay off. In any case, the controversies about why we stopped going to the moon are much more interesting to me. Are there bases on the dark side which have dictated there shall be no more landings?

Faked moon landings are so twen cen.

Even though this is a website about comic books, I rarely visit the actual forums about comics because the posters there are too geekish with their comments as they take their love for books and characters WAY too seriously for my liking. Does that make for a controversial opinion? Does that make me a cranky old man having a "Get off my lawn!" moment?
    I personally find a mix of attitudes and enjoy chatting with those who have different opinions on books and characters than I do. In any area there are posters who I enjoy reading and chatting with and those who are somewhat troublesome. Granted, I am a total superhero fanboy and have no qualms about that.

Shoulders are the butt of the arms.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Not really. Life can be too short for that kind of crap sometimes. There are good and bad posters on all these boards but the more militant ones certainly congregate on the comics-specific boards. Occasionally I can't resist it and get involved myself but try to steer clear a lot of the time. I've seen some very level headed DC fans either get banned or simply give up and stop posting over the last few years. Posters that the board suffers from not having around anymore. It's definitely not worth all that.

I've gradually moved from the DC Comics board over to the Community Board during my time on here. People can very worked up about things over there that I either haven't got the energy for or for things that are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Plus, here we get to talk about music and sports and stuff. It's fractious occasionally on here but great most of the time.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I can't stand Nirvana. They are on the radio as I type this, that Lithium song that they did, and their music is so miserable.

I could understand someone listening to something like this if they were a messed up teenager, up in their bedroom hating the world, but anyone else? Sigh.

Did Kurt Cobain achieve Nirvana after he killed himself?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I can't stand Nirvana. They are on the radio as I type this, that Lithium song that they did, and their music is so miserable.

I could understand someone listening to something like this if they were a messed up teenager, up in their bedroom hating the world, but anyone else? Sigh.
    Cobain wrote great songs that were generally performed very poorly by him and his band, in my opinion.

LA LA LAND, while far from a great picture, deserved a Best Picture more than MOONLIGHT.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How does a flick about a woman getting jiggy with the Creature from the Black Lagoon win Best Picture over the likes of Darkest Hour?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

How does a flick about a woman getting jiggy with the Creature from the Black Lagoon win Best Picture over the likes of Darkest Hour?
    Darkest Hour was about as paint by numbers as you possibly could be while not being The Post. Shape of Water was incredible.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    ...the controversies about why we stopped going to the moon are much more interesting to me. Are there bases on the dark side which have dictated there shall be no more landings?...
    Three main reasons, I believe:
    1. We'd already won our race with the Soviets, who were backing off their own space program
    2. It was really expensive, and we were entering a recession
    3. (Perhaps most importantly) We had developed all the delivery vehicles we needed for our nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Three main reasons, I believe:
    1. We'd already won our race with the Soviets, who were backing off their own space program
    2. It was really expensive, and we were entering a recession
    3. (Perhaps most importantly) We had developed all the delivery vehicles we needed for our nukes.
    Seriously, dude, you're mucking up fun conspiracy theories about alien bases on the moon with well thought out facts and conjecture.