Page 86 of 440 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why on earth would you hear much about a book that came out half a year ago? You don't even hear much about books that came out last week.
    I mention it only to point out that it was an instance where she sought to work the news hog rather than being worked by it-- though it's probably true that her enemies keep her in the news far more than anything she does.

She was kind of funny on THE VIEW, answering almost every question with, "Well, as I detail in the book--"

Boisterously Confused

Both Sanders and Trump were (to highjack language from an excellent Cracked article) a brick through the window of their party's establishment by those frustrated by a political system that seems to serve its own interests (meaning its wealthiest contributors' interests) over those of the parties' stated constituencies. For a number of reasons, The Conservative Brick was getting thrown a lot harder, and by a great many more (as a percent of party base) voters than The Liberal Brick. Thus we wound up with a textbook Insider against a textbook Outsider, at a time when the angriest, most easily mobilized voters were pissed at Self-Satisfied, Self-Serving Insiders.

Boisterously Confused

The intense division we see in politics in the western world has its roots in income inequality. If that eases across class origin, gender, and race, the rest would take care of itself in relatively short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Politicians are no saints but some of them are actually the devil in disguise.
    They are people, with all of the depths and heights that humanity can achieve available to them. Sadly I have no confidence that an individual can get anywhere of note in politics without having compromised on their principals several times, and that everyone has made bad choices in the past that they have yet to publicly air regardless of where they come from.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

As a Bi female i have wondered for a long time why lesbians would be drawn to "stud" females. I mean are we gay hear, or not? Why would i want a girl that unmistakably look like a guy?

Ultimate Member

The Esotonian president, Kersti Kaljulaid, makes me want to marry into power.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Both Sanders and Trump were (to highjack language from an excellent Cracked article) a brick through the window of their party's establishment by those frustrated by a political system that seems to serve its own interests (meaning its wealthiest contributors' interests) over those of the parties' stated constituencies. For a number of reasons, The Conservative Brick was getting thrown a lot harder, and by a great many more (as a percent of party base) voters than The Liberal Brick. Thus we wound up with a textbook Insider against a textbook Outsider, at a time when the angriest, most easily mobilized voters were pissed at Self-Satisfied, Self-Serving Insiders.
    That is on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The intense division we see in politics in the western world has its roots in income inequality. If that eases across class origin, gender, and race, the rest would take care of itself in relatively short order.
    And so is this.

I wish the US helped countries like Colombia and Peru with their economy and reducing the cultivation of drugs even more, since both places are where the most drugs that arrive to U.S come from, something like what they did in the 90s when thanks to the american collaboration the Colombians were able to get rid of Pablo Escobar, after that all the other colombian cartel lost their power.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but as British Invasion rock bands go, I've never seen or understood the appeal of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. They're far down my totem pole behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen and The Kinks.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but as British Invasion rock bands go, I've never seen or understood the appeal of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. They're far down my totem pole behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen and The Kinks.
    I went through a period as a student where I absolutely loved Pink Floyd - and liked Led Zeppelin a bit too. These days though, I still listen to Beatles, Stones, Who and Kinks, but never Pink Flood or Led Zeppelin. Queen have always been more of a band that I liked but never actively listen to.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Are Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or even Queen 'British Invasion' bands though? I always associate the earlier bands of that decade, the likes of The Beatles, The Kinks, The Animals etc, to be the main vanguard of that scene. In fact, so does Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion

There were numerous bands that followed in their wake, including Floyd and Zeppelin, and conquered the US. The actual British Invasion scene was rather brief though, 1964-1966 maybe?

Of course, I don't agree that the likes of The Beatles or The Kinks can touch the likes of Zeppelin. Not a chance. Even though they were all great bands. I've been listening to quite a lot of the old Kinks albums lately. Ray Davies' lyrics from that period are sensational.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Agree. My cat can sing better than Robert Plant, and Pink Floyd just seems pompous.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

The Vandellas were a much, much better group than the Supremes...

Invincible Member

Claiming that something you disagree with politically or philosophically is not popular is not a great argument.

For example: "McDonald's is an evil corporation and their hamburgers don't sell!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Claiming that something you disagree with politically or philosophically is not popular is not a great argument.

For example: "McDonald's is an evil corporation and their hamburgers don't sell!"
    Has someone tried to seriously claim that McDonald's hamburgers don't sell, or is this a hyperbolic "example"?