Page 89 of 440 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 6597

Jill Stein getting more votes than Hillary needed to win in WI.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Oh my god, my eyeballs almost rolled out of my skull just thinking about that. It's going to be amazingly bad!
    IMO: nobody that dislikes superheroes as much as Frank Miller has made as much of a career out of superheroes as Frank Miller. By his own admission, he's a Film Noir Guy.

Don't get me wrong: that tension has made some marvelous stories. I'm not sure if Batman or (especially) Daredevil would enjoy their current status without Miller's contribution. Nobody in comics does Bleak-Noir like him.

However, there's a Whole List of comics characters that Bleak-Noir just doesn't work for. Top of the list: (The Original) Captain Marvel, followed closely by Superman and Captain America.

So, if Miller can pull off a Superman that doesn't feel like a conceptual rape. I say he deserves a place alongside Eisner, Kriby, Fox, Ditko,Englehart, Wolfman, and Busiek. If not, he's just arrogant.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That just splits the Democrats even further. Seems like the best way for a Republican to get elected is to siphon off Democrats to a 3rd party candidate. George W. Bush winning because of Ralph Nader running against Al Gore.
    I'm skeptical of that opinion, especially since Gore couldn't win his own state. Also more and more younger voters are identifying as progressive.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    IMO: nobody that dislikes superheroes as much as Frank Miller has made as much of a career out of superheroes as Frank Miller. By his own admission, he's a Film Noir Guy.

Don't get me wrong: that tension has made some marvelous stories. I'm not sure if Batman or (especially) Daredevil would enjoy their current status without Miller's contribution. Nobody in comics does Bleak-Noir like him.

However, there's a Whole List of comics characters that Bleak-Noir just doesn't work for. Top of the list: (The Original) Captain Marvel, followed closely by Superman and Captain America.

So, if Miller can pull off a Superman that doesn't feel like a conceptual rape. I say he deserves a place alongside Eisner, Kriby, Fox, Ditko,Englehart, Wolfman, and Busiek. If not, he's just arrogant.
    I agree with you, But man Frank Miller is one of my top comic book writers. And i despise what the tv show The Defenders did to The Hand.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 04-09-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I agree with you, But man Frank Miller is one of my top comic book writers. And i despise what the tv show The Defenders did to The Hand.
    Dude! Yup!

Invincible Member

I think the speculation is that Frank is going to do a take close to the 30's version of Supes...minimal powers, two-fisted champion of the underdog. I don't know if that's true, but if this was Frank of 15 years ago I think he could have pulled it off. Today's Frank, well...

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

America needs a viable progressive party that's not the green party. Also this sums up the Democratic party right now.

Will never happen. There aren’t enough people that are that far left.

One of the many reasons the Iron Fist show was horrible, was their making the Hand into some kind of weird multi-ethnic New-Agey cult. The Hand of Daredevil's Nobu and Madame Gao was cool ... but, Iron Fist even made Gao look lame. And yeah, The Defenders just perfectly finished the job of making a previously threatening villain group just look like a bunch of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think the speculation is that Frank is going to do a take close to the 30's version of Supes...minimal powers, two-fisted champion of the underdog. I don't know if that's true, but if this was Frank of 15 years ago I think he could have pulled it off. Today's Frank, well...
    That sounds kind of like that t-shirt wearing version from a few years back, whose fists were wrapped up in the rags of his cape. Was not a fan.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    That sounds kind of like that t-shirt wearing version from a few years back, whose fists were wrapped up in the rags of his cape. Was not a fan.
    That is going to look very different when somebody like Miller, who politically is almost the opposite of Grant Morrison, does it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    One of the many reasons the Iron Fist show was horrible, was their making the Hand into some kind of weird multi-ethnic New-Agey cult. The Hand of Daredevil's Nobu and Madame Gao was cool ... but, Iron Fist even made Gao look lame. And yeah, The Defenders just perfectly finished the job of making a previously threatening villain group just look like a bunch of tools.

Nu52 Superman suffered because almost none of the creators or editors were on the same page concerning the approach they were going to be taking with the character. Someone with focus could make it work.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I haven't read anything from Miller since The Dark Knight Returns (which I thought was crap, by the way). In my humble opinion, Miller has gone from comics visionary to "Get off my lawn" hack.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Let's try to avoid hijacking this thread with talk about DC Comics. There are plenty of other threads to discuss DC Comics.

Boisterously Confused

America needs a viable progressive party that's not the green party. Also this sums up the Democratic party right now.

While I find her delivery annoying, she's right about both parties needing to shed their septegeniarian members. Nobody can sit up there for decades and not have the cesspool sink into their skin. If there's one thing Rs say I can get behind, it's term limits.

IMO: nobody that dislikes superheroes as much as Frank Miller has made as much of a career out of superheroes as Frank Miller.
    Miller has always claimed to love Superman. I think he's going to do a bang up job - but then I like his recent Batman work, so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That is going to look very different when somebody like Miller, who politically is almost the opposite of Grant Morrison, does it.
    I don't think he is politically opposite Morrison. From what I can tell, he's probably libertarian more than anything else, so he'd be more at right angles than opposite.