Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mamylon View Post
    MU is how I read Marvel now, and I know I'm not the only one who's doing it.

The problem is that this makes it tough to keep up with the fandom. Can we keep a space in NuCBR for people to discuss Marvel books six months behind? I have serious opinions about the end of Battle of the Atom... as of three days ago.
    I actually think that's a great idea, a specific Marvel Unlimited section.

I haven't bought in to Marvel Unlimited yet. I want to, but I also want the app to work as well as the standard Marvel app. I don't care much for the modern releases, I buy floppies every week. I only care about the old stuff. Like the 60's and 70's stuff, which I'm aware that it's not all there.
    Also there's no DC Unlimited is there?

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    The death of the floppy is inevitable.
    That's what they said for the vinyl LPs.

Digital comics offer a much more healthy model for financials, distribution, back issues availability, adverts, etc. but the transition is probably not going to be smooth - in fact it looks downright dangerous, though thankfully Marvel now has a huge income stream from the movies to dampen the shocks.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by RawrJoey View Post
    I actually think that's a great idea, a specific Marvel Unlimited section.
    I don't think we could manage a separate section, but a "Six Month Delay" thread would be great. Start it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamylon View Post
    MU is how I read Marvel now, and I know I'm not the only one who's doing it.

The problem is that this makes it tough to keep up with the fandom. Can we keep a space in NuCBR for people to discuss Marvel books six months behind? I have serious opinions about the end of Battle of the Atom... as of three days ago.
    I like this idea. There's a few series I actually buy when they come out, but most things I wait on. It'd be nice to be able to talk about them without having to dig up way old threads or getting spoiled for issues that came out 1-5 months ago but I haven't read yet.

Amazing Member

I started subscribing in March, and I love it. It's much easier to read on a tablet, than a PC for me anyways. The newest version for Android has fixed some of the issues that we're bugging me. I love that I can read some of the comics that I lost that I had when I was a kid, and catch up on the ones that I might have missed. I've been playing catch up with Uncanny Avengers and Uncanny X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    I like this idea. There's a few series I actually buy when they come out, but most things I wait on. It'd be nice to be able to talk about them without having to dig up way old threads or getting spoiled for issues that came out 1-5 months ago but I haven't read yet.
    Agreed. The pressure to "stay current" always bugs me; it's difficult to shake the impression that all meaningful conversation about a comic takes place within 48 hours of its release.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    yeah I pulled the trigger on a sub a few weeks ago and I recently got a second gen Kindle fire HD for a birthday gift and have been reading the comics on the app - it's great. Within minutes I'd 100 title in my library!! Anyone know how to delete a comic from your library after you've read it?
    Been reading Aaron's Thor. Up to issue nine now - superb stuff.
    Hi bub - you just press the same button that you tick to add comics to libraries - that removes them as well.

Library management in general can get to be a headache, especially when I get enthusiastic and add a tonne in there. It would be good if you could have one or two folders, maybe something for new releases and then another couple for chucking in old runs you want to read. Someone tell Axel?

Glad you're enjoying Aaron's Thor - I've been keeping up with the floppies on that one and the breather issue after the second arc is one of the best single issues of last year - you're going to love it I'm sure.
    Current top 5: She-Hulk, Daredevil, Velvet, Lazarus, Adventures of Superman

Fantastic Member

I had been away from the forums for a few days and everything had changed on my return. I had to read up on the whys, but before this I came across this thread.

Count me as another MU user and supporter. I think I first tried it a couple years ago -- I initially didn't care for it, but that's largely because I came in with the wrong expectations. Rather than seeing it as a chance to read comics, I took it as a place to read specific comics that were just released. So I dropped it. Then I think there was a discount, so I gave it another shot and loved it. Then it was time for renewal and we were tight on funds so I dropped it again....really missed it, and figured that I'd try to do a better job managing my comic book budget, and felt I could re-sign up. I'm so glad I did. A slightly larger tablet (a Lenovo which was recommended based on a similar post I made a few months ago) and the MU App has made a huge difference.

I'm so glad to see so many other like-minded folks. I do hope we can get some "six months ago..." type action. It isn't so much difficult to wait, it's hard to be on the forums, or to keep up with podcasts...nice to know I'm not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by spenny View Post
    Hi bub - you just press the same button that you tick to add comics to libraries - that removes them as well.

Library management in general can get to be a headache, especially when I get enthusiastic and add a tonne in there. It would be good if you could have one or two folders, maybe something for new releases and then another couple for chucking in old runs you want to read. Someone tell Axel?

Glad you're enjoying Aaron's Thor - I've been keeping up with the floppies on that one and the breather issue after the second arc is one of the best single issues of last year - you're going to love it I'm sure.
    Hey there, thanks for that info! Yes managing the library is a pain. Just finished the God Butcher storyline and read the done in one. And you're right t'was fabulous. Going to move on to Cornell's Wolverine now.
    BTW one of the mods has started another MU thread to talk about the books. I thought it would've made sense to do that here? Maybe merge threads?
    EDIT: what MU reader are you guys using? The old one or the beta? What are your advantages and disadvantages?
    Last edited by Eamo71; 05-04-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    Hey there, thanks for that info! Yes managing the library is a pain. Just finished the God Butcher storyline and read the done in one. And you're right t'was fabulous. Going to move on to Cornell's Wolverine now.
    BTW one of the mods has started another MU thread to talk about the books. I thought it would've made sense to do that here? Maybe merge threads?
    EDIT: what MU reader are you guys using? The old one or the beta? What are your advantages and disadvantages?
    I am using the beta. When I was primarily using the Kindle (which didn't have an effective way for me to use the MU App -- I sideloaded it, but t never really worked) or the laptop, the old reader was the only thing I could use. Once I got a new tablet (Lenovo...interestingly, I got it BECAUSE of someone's recommendation on this forum several months back), I was able to get the MU App, and it really works fantastic for me.

So the bad things were the beta didn't work at all or very well for me on my Kindle and laptop, so I had to use the old one, which was serviceable on both. The beta has been since I started using my new tablet.

Marvel Unlimited has been a blast so far. I'm reading through the Ultimate comics but plan on going into modern 616 after a little. I'm also a little bummed about the 6 month delay because of what I've heard about the new Ms. Marvel and Amazing Spider-Man. I don't have a local comic shop so I have to either wait until they get added or just get the trades when those come out.

Amazing Member

hi guys! I'm new to comic books, i read a lot of web comics and manga, and marvel unlimited seems like a neat way to catch up. just curious if it has the stuff I want to read, like the guardians of the galaxy and Ulltimate Spiderman after issue 39 (i bought the big omnibus and was really into it); Ms. Marvel, New X-Men, and Avengers Assemble?

EDIT: old silver silver stuff? like the first two series?
    Last edited by imawizard; 05-05-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Spectacular Member CaptainMarvell's Avatar

I'm a HUGE fan of Marvel Unlimited. So you're 6 months behind what's in the stores. So what? You're saving a TON of money. If you buy just 5 titles a month, that's $20 a month. The cheapest Marvel Unlimited year subscription is $70. I took a six month break from new stuff, read a bunch of older stuff that I always wanted to read but didn't have time or couldn't find. Now MU caught up to where I was and each week is like Christmas with all this new content to read each week. You don't have to decide what titles to read, you can read them all if you want. So next time they rapid fire an event at you, you don't have to groan about how much it costs. Just read away.

As for ways to read it, you, of course, can read it on your computer. However, if you want a tablet and don't want to blow a ton of money on an iPad, I got a Lenovo IdeaTab S6000. Its an Android tablet with a 10.1" screen (goes for about $220, sometimes its on Amazon for $200) and works perfectly with the MU app. The large screen makes it perfect for comic reading. Its like holding the actual comic in your hands.

Really digging all this love for MU.

Quote Originally Posted by imawizard View Post
    hi guys! I'm new to comic books, i read a lot of web comics and manga, and marvel unlimited seems like a neat way to catch up. just curious if it has the stuff I want to read, like the guardians of the galaxy and Ulltimate Spiderman after issue 39 (i bought the big omnibus and was really into it); Ms. Marvel, New X-Men, and Avengers Assemble?

EDIT: old silver silver stuff? like the first two series?
    It's got all of Ultimate Spider-Man except for the last issue of the Miles Morales series, because it came out less than 6 months ago. They're up to, let's see.... #18 of All-New X-Men, and #20 of Avengers Assemble. If by Ms Marvel you mean the new one (Kamala), then no, they don't have her stuff yet because it's too recent.

They have a bunch of GotG, too, and it looks like they have some old Silver Surfer, though I don't know which are the first two series.