Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is Future's End the worst DC major event ever?

It had 52+0 issues but couldn't finish a story. A lot of the plotlines didn't even have its end and the whole timeline got rebooted again with Tim went back to explode Brother Eye, which made most of the issues meaningless. We didn't even know what really happened to current FE Brother storyline, we didn't even get a clear explanation of why did Brother Eye go evil. Now in Batman Beyond the future Brother Eye got beaten so easily, how did it rule the world and took down so many might heroes? It was really dumb.

Mighty Member

World's End and Countdown were worse, just off the top of my head.

I'm really happy for you. You seemed to have erased Countdown completely from yer memory. I've been trying for years, but still can't do it. Gives me nightmares and all.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It's true Future's End had his lacks but reading it was frequently enjoyable, some plot was fun although useless or pointless.
    IMO Convergence was worse and, fortunately, i've missed World's End and Countdown

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think all of them collectively were bad. There are a lot of reasons I don't like events much anyway and chief among them is that they often turn out to be train wrecks or they end up disappointing me in some way or other.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

No, Countdown is. Futures End may have majorly whiffed on any actual consequences outside of one rather low-key new title, but in a vacuum it was enjoyable. Countdown was unreadable even outside the ludicrous continuity problems with what it was supposed to be leading into.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

yeah i gotta agree that Countdown is by far the worst. Future's End really pissed me off because the storylines were actually enjoyable and we didn't get a conclusion to most of them. so yeah it ended up being a complete waste of time. Countdown was supposed to lead into Final Crisis but there was a huge fustercluck and it ended up seriously messing up an amazing story. i didn't truly appreciate the brilliance of FC until i had time to forget the steaming pile that was Countdown.
    Future's End isn't even the worst event that happened last year. that honor goes to World's End. a completely pointless weekly that ruined all the great potential that Earth 2 had. i have never seen a comic book company intentionally sabotage a great property. plus they dragged Mister Miracle and Darkseid into that mess. the poor New Gods have played a role in both Countdown and World's End. that's just tragic.

Fantastic Member

Countdown is future end was just a major disappointment

There were stretches at a time when Future's End was the first comic I read coming back from the shop. Especially Billy's reveal as faux-Superman.

The thing I can't get over is that they had two shots to hit any sort of ending, and they whiffed both times. And they had a built-in Dues Ex Machina in Fifty-Sue and she's nowhere in both endings. And the lack of an adequate ending really soured me on the whole storyline, and indeed the whole future timeline.

I've been liking a lot of things that DC has been doing lately, but both Future's End and Convergence felt, to me, like ideas that weren't well thought out. Or thought out at all.

ETA: It will be interesting to see the sales figures for Batman Beyond after this, because I suspect a lot of the readers were people who had read Future's End and wanted to have the final payoff. I don't know who's going to read that title next month.
    Last edited by Sans Simian; 11-13-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

BANNED

Convergence was much worse!

Man alive, no. Countdown is something that I enjoyed bits and pieces of- even the main series- but as a whole it's a trainwreck that will likely never be rivaled. EVERYTHING went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    ETA: It will be interesting to see the sales figures for Batman Beyond after this, because I suspect a lot of the readers were people who had read Future's End and wanted to have the final payoff. I don't know who's going to read that title next month.
    What happened that there should be a drop in following month?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Future's End was an enjoyable series. It wasn't amazing but enjoyable. It's story continues on in Batman Beyond.

Future's End wasn't even an event, it was just a series.

You should read World's End if you want to read the worst weekly series ever crafted.

Always Rakzo

World's End

World's End

World's End

What, was the whole awfulness of that event too much for people to keep it on their heads?

Sure, Futures End had a quite underwhelming ending that hardly solved any of the sub-plots it created but at least it followed a consistent story with decent characterization.

World's End had none of that. It not only destroyed most of the things from Earth 2 that people were invested into but also did it in a quite incompetent way. The characterization was either wrong, bland or inconsistent that simply didn't make you care about the cast. The plot suffered from TERRIBLE pacing problems that made you constantly wonder what was actually happening. The story was just about destroying the world so you already knew the ending before the series even started but even then it seemed like the writers were just creating filler and is one of the BLANDEST filler stories that I've ever read, it didn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Finally, most of the actual consequences were solved during Convergence and not in a great manner but at least it was better.

Countdown is not recent but even if it was, it still wouldn't be as bad as WE in comparison because nobody actually cared about the things that were destoyed in Countdown.

World's End wishes it was Countdown.

Astonishing Member

I meant to jump in on this, if only to add some injury to insult.

Futures End has a terrible title. Because it's not called "Futures End", it's called "The New 52: Futures End". Ugh.
    (That being said, World's End is actually called "Earth 2: World's End". Ugh.)

Futures end has no ending. It literally ends on a "to be continued ... IF you read this NEW series that also isn't great." Everyone fails and thus the future timeline storyline fails.
    (That being said, World's End ALSO ends in a different book, Convergence. Has effectively zero closure.)

It's a tough go to say one is worse than the other for a specific reason because they're both guilty of the same crimes against storytelling. I mean 50+ issues, or 25+ issues, and you don't have room for a beginning, middle or end? What the actual eff?

But I've got to give it to Futures End for a specific reason. It had good writers. This is actually why I hate it more, even as I acknowledge it's the better weekly of the two. Because it had good writers writing characters they're tangentially related to that I like and so it should have more potential to be good. This was a book where Jeff Lemire was doing more Green Arrow work, more Frankenstein work. Where Brian Azzarello was doing Batman Beyond stuff. I mean we all essentially figured World's End would be hot garbage the moment we saw it announced, but Futures End had a premise.

Sure, that premise was literally just "Rotworld with The Borg instead of The Rot" (or rather more importantly, Rock of Ages dark future chapters in 50 issues instead of TWO) but whatever. So somebody else did that story already recently in a lot less time with a lot more quality. Big deal, right?

It's pretty bad when Batman Eternal makes you look bad. Eternal was a big, dumb, 52 issue weekly that was just interesting enough a mystery to keep us talking about it weekly, doing a little speculation, some actual status quo shake-ups, and bringing back a lot of characters who hadn't been back yet. It launched a half dozen interesting spin-offs. A bloated, meandering mess, perhaps, but it had a beginning, middle, and end.

So anyway, Futures End. Ew. Some of the September one-shots were okay. Primarily the ones that were essentially just Batman 666 style looks at possible futures done by the creative teams that actually belonged with those characters, so like, the Grayson one, the Green Arrow Lemire coda, etc ...
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com