Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Reveals Romita's Cover, Details of "Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade"

DC has released a cover and story details for the John Romita Jr.-illustrated "Dark Knight Returns" prequel, written by Brian Azzarello & Frank Miller.

Full article here.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This is the one story in the DKIII hoopla that I might buy.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

I can't seriously wait to read TDKTMR. I wonder how TDKRTLC (quite the abbreviation) will fit the larger story, when for example read in collected form (which Azzarello is known to treat each issue as a chapter for).

I'm actually more weary about this than DK3. I always enjoyed the sort of "fill in the blanks" approach when it came to the story before DKR. You don't know how exactly Jason died or what went on between Dick and Bruce and it forces you to draw your own conclusions. It was never something I needed to have spelled out for me. I hope this story is good enough to justify doing it. Doesn't Frank Miller not care for Death in the Family, or at least didn't when it first came out? It'll be interesting to see how he treats killing the exact same character.

Oh this is the story I've wanted from Miller since I first read DKR. Yesssssssssssssss!!!

From the Comics Interview Super Special: Batman, Frank Miller explained in 1986 at the Mid-Ohio-Con about a rumor on the supposed rape-death of Jason Todd by the Joker, that Jason Todd was killed by the Joker, but the Joker didn't rape Jason Todd.

img00171ht.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 11-13-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Oh this is the story I've wanted from Miller since I first read DKR. Yesssssssssssssss!!!
    Ditto. This is by far the most misterious and anxiously waiting piece of the TDKR world, but..

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    I'm actually more weary about this than DK3. I always enjoyed the sort of "fill in the blanks" approach when it came to the story before DKR. You don't know how exactly Jason died or what went on between Dick and Bruce and it forces you to draw your own conclusions. It was never something I needed to have spelled out for me. I hope this story is good enough to justify doing it. Doesn't Frank Miller not care for Death in the Family, or at least didn't when it first came out? It'll be interesting to see how he treats killing the exact same character.
    ..it probably won`t ever live to the expectations. One of the things about TDKR that works is that readers have to be the ones to fill in the blanks. So this is going to be interesting for sure. I recall Miller at the time disliking the whole publicity stunt, since his story wasen`t in continuity per-se. Let`s see how it goes. It`s also interesting because we just had Arkham Knight that gave us a cool spin on his death and rebirth and how creepy it was and we will have another for the coming movie(s).

Amazing how it started with Barr`s run with that omnious vision based on Bruce`s biggest fear and how amazingly well writen both Jason and Bruce were (even joker) and how Miller wrote Jason more respectfully than he did Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    From Comics Interview Super Special: Batman, Frank Miller explained in 1986 at the Mid-Ohio-Con about a rumor on the supposed rape-death of Jason Todd by the Joker, that Jason Todd was killed by the Joker, but the Joker didn't rape Jason Todd.
    Interesting, I read this somewhere years ago, but thought it was just internet rumor. Had no idea it was tied with Miller and TDKR.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 11-13-2015 at 06:14 PM.

I'm a firm believer in mystery being better than prequels and over explaining/exploiting a fictional universe, but I've always thought Jason deserved a better death story and this is the only other real option.

Does it really matter how he dies?
    I mean the Joker is killing him every time and nothing new is happening besides Joker having Jason's number
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 11-13-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Well, it sounds like it doesn't for you, but I always wished that pivotal moment had a better story attached to it.

BANNED

It`s too much a pivotal moment for the characters involved. Whether they should or not is another story.

I find this story exciting for several reasons: I happen to love JRJRs artwork, since Daredevil with Ann Nocenti at the helm (I was in high school). Also, with DK3 fast approaching, I guess I'm in the distinct "posting" minority that is really looking forward to a continuation of a classic story. Lastly, and I do hate to say it's by default, but, if you're over 35, don't you find today's offerings from the Big 2 really, REALLY bland?? Personally, I do, and call me conservative but I want to see the best characters ever created in new variations, situations to further their history. That's why we love 'em!!

Oh, that is a GREAT cover!!!

Anyone notice that Europa is getting NO hype whatsoever??

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I agree with this, that Jason's death never need to be spelled out in DKR and that the mystery is better, but I since I won't count this in my DKR canon right way (it has to earn it), that mystery is preserved. It's like with Star Wars....I never needed to actually see Anakin's childhood to adulthood, and I don't count the terrible prequels, so my mind still remembers and preserves that mystery when watching the originals.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-14-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”