Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Superman Perfect?

It seems like some people are saying Superman is incapable of making mistakes. If Superman is incapable of making mistakes, he is perfect. But is Superman perfect? Has he never made at least one mistake in any continuity? It seems like Superman being perfect really limits the amount of stories you can do you with him. You can't put him in an interesting moral dilemma if he is perfect and he is not very inspiring if he cannot make mistakes. If moral thing is always the easy thing for Superman, then is
    Superman doing the right thing because its the easy thing?

Isn't more inspiring if Superman does the right thing, despite the fact that he can make mistakes? In life, the right thing to do, is not always the easy or clear thing to do, everyone in life makes mistakes, no matter how moral or intelligent. Its more inspiring to see how people deal with their mistakes, without their mistakes, they would not learn anything. Superman is too wise to assume he knows everything and there is nothing new for him to learn. Mistakes teach us things, a failure teaches us more then a success.

I think Superman is as man with great power and a good moral compass, but I don't think he is perfect and I think making him perfect limits the character.

Superman is not perfect. He's awesome

I don't think people are arguing Superman is incapable of making mistakes. I think the big thing is that they believe Superman shouldn't make specific mistakes.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-11-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fix double negative

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    If moral thing is always the easy thing for Superman, then is Superman doing the right thing because its the easy thing?
    When has always trying to do the right thing ever been easy?

Doing the right thing is NEVER easy and Superman makes mistakes all the time and his fans belittle him about it always. Look at MOS as an example.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't think people are arguing Superman is incapable of making mistakes. I think the big thing is that they believe Superman shouldn't not make specific mistakes.
    Exactly....

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yes he is.

If Superman has a flaw, it's that he punches first and thinks second a little too often.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    If Superman has a flaw, it's that he punches first and thinks second a little too often.
    This is just not true. Superman doesn't punch first like never. It's the other way around he often takes a lot of punishment before reciprocating. And being a man of action he usualy leaps into a situation improvising as things come along.

BANNED

People who say Superman is perfect don't like the character and don't know what they're talking about. He's made plenty of mistakes from the Golden Age on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    That's mostly true of the Superman in Man of Steel.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    That's mostly true of the Superman in Man of Steel.
    Fists for Brains.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    This is just not true. Superman doesn't punch first like never. It's the other way around he often takes a lot of punishment before reciprocating. And being a man of action he usualy leaps into a situation improvising as things come along.
    Except in justice league origin: he's straight up trying to murder batman in that, just because batman was near an alien that attacked supes. Very stand your ground-esque, Batman has a very threatening appearance.

Superman unchained has a good look at supermans imperfections, while not going so far as to make him likenable to hank pym

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Except in justice league origin: he's straight up trying to murder batman in that, just because batman was near an alien that attacked supes. Very stand your ground-esque, Batman has a very threatening appearance.

Superman unchained has a good look at supermans imperfections, while not going so far as to make him likenable to hank pym
    Justice league was awesome. Finally Superman with balls kicking Batman and Green Lantern's assess. With ease.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Justice league was awesome. Finally Superman with balls kicking Batman and Green Lantern's assess. With ease.
    Won't happen with Kyle Rayner.