Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Except in justice league origin: he's straight up trying to murder batman in that...
    No, he's not. He's not exactly gentle with Batman but he not only does he not try to murder him, he does him no great physical harm at all, outside maybe a bruised throat.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't think people are arguing Superman is incapable of making mistakes. I think the big thing is that they believe Superman shouldn't make specific mistakes.
    Fair enough, I thought it was a valid question though. The follow up question would be, what kind of mistakes are okay for Superman to make and which ones are not the kind of mistakes he should be making?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    People who say Superman is perfect don't like the character and don't know what they're talking about. He's made plenty of mistakes from the Golden Age on.
    But see I am just asking a question, a question which I think is legitimate, especially since different people have different interpretations of what Superman is or should be about. Just because I am asking questions regarding how some people may see Superman, doesn't mean I dislike Superman.

I personally don't think Superman should be perfect, but I thought it would be an interesting question to ask, maybe start an interesting discussion.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 06-11-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    People who say Superman is perfect don't like the character and don't know what they're talking about. He's made plenty of mistakes from the Golden Age on.
    Here you go again with the generalizations. I love the character just as much as you do, and I think he's the perfect man. You might not, but that doesn't invalidate either one of us as "fans" of the concept.

He's the pinnacle of man's ambitions. Sci-fi Moses from across a sea of stars.

He might have his moments of doubt, but he'll always make the right decision because that's what Superman is all about.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-11-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Justice league was awesome. Finally Superman with balls kicking Batman and Green Lantern's assess. With ease.
    He was pretty ballsy in superman returns, now hear me out ...... he tricked his bosses nephew into raising his lovechild, all while stalking the babymama he mindwiped with his supermackdaddy powers. EPIC! Just not in the way people were hoping a superman film would be.

Also, on the origin front, didn't he threaten to stop batmans breathing if he didn't answer him? Thats a deaththreat against a non powered (but very tooled up) person at the very least.

Superman unchained has general lane criticizing supes general M.O of reacting to disaster, saying he could be making a difference on a global scale and ushering in a new golden age for america (paraphrasing) but doesn't because he wants people to like him, basically calling him an insecure gloryhound. Series also has Superman rationalizing acceptable casualties during a disaster, as he knows he can't save all the civilians present

Mistakes Superman can't make:-
    Being downright stupid.
    Being mean.
    Being a bully.
    Being cruel.

Mistakes Superman can make:-
    Trusting people too much… indeed, this is one he must make from time to time.

Basically he has to be written as a kind, humane, intelligent guy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Fair enough, I thought it was a valid question though. The follow up question would be, what kind of mistakes are okay for Superman to make and which ones are not the kind of mistakes he should be making?
    One we talked about a lot in the previous continuity when Superman was still married was that he wouldn't commit adultery.

A common mistake that happens fairly often is that Superman becomes overprotective. There are stories that do it well, and others that do it pretty poorly.

A crafty villain is going to fool him once in a while, but as the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." So you can fool Superman once in a while, but not repeatedly. In general, most people have an idea of how the geniuses in fiction act, and basically, that's how Superman should. He's not a moron so he doesn't make mistakes morons do. Also, if there's an obvious solution to a problem that readers/viewers are saying, e.g. why doesn't he just do this or that, then it shouldn't be a drawn out process for Superman to figure it out.

Superman would never do anything outright evil.

There are some others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Except in justice league origin: he's straight up trying to murder batman in that, just because batman was near an alien that attacked supes. Very stand your ground-esque, Batman has a very threatening appearance.
    I thought JL #2 tried to match up his personality with Action Comics #2. This Superman isn't afraid to threaten a guy, even if he's bluffing.

It's a common misconception that Superman is "perfect". Especially with people who don't like him. Though you'll find he's made plenty of mistakes throughout his history. Just look at what Pak is doing over in Action Comics. Pak's Superman is great and he makes some mistakes. Look at Pak's story about the underground civilization. In trying to save some creatures Superman thought were imprisoned, he released them to the surface where they became monsters.

Superman does give people something to aspire to, though he should be taking that journey as well. He can't show us the way if he hasn't traveled the path himself. That's one of the the things I like about New52 Superman. They put that Golden Age brashness back into him where he's made some mistakes along the way.

I would consider JL#2 a big mistake for Superman. GL jumped him without talking first, so Supes defended himself. Then Batman stepped in to help GL and Supes handled him too. Considering two guys came at him while claiming he was an alien invader, I'd say Superman showed some restraint. He took them out quickly and then demanded they explain themselves.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Mistakes Superman can't make:-
    Being downright stupid.
    Being mean.
    Being a bully.
    Being cruel.

Mistakes Superman can make:-
    Trusting people too much… indeed, this is one he must make from time to time.

Basically he has to be written as a kind, humane, intelligent guy.
    This is kind of a pseudo flaw.

Right up there with "too hard on himself"

BANNED

Perfect ?

Great , i smash your car. Here you go , you can have my autograph and sell it on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    This is kind of a pseudo flaw.

Right up there with "too hard on himself"
    I think in the context of Superman, it's often been a genuine flaw, especially since a lot of people interpret "too trusting" as "naive," "gullible," or "too easily fooled."

I wonder who signs the certificate of authenticity for an autographed vehicle totaled by Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I wonder who signs the certificate of authenticity for an autographed vehicle totaled by Superman.
    Jimmy Olsen, obviously.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Perfect ?

Great , i smash your car. Here you go , you can have my autograph and sell it on ebay.

Chuck Austen, doesn't count.
    Buh-bye

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Chuck Austen should never be named around these parts.

Never.

of course not, how many times have people taken advantage of him. Superman is anything BUT perfect. He's just really cool... I just wish he didn't hate latinos so much