Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Paris terrorists attacks today

I just wanted to say to those members who live in Paris or have friends and family there, my heart and prayers go out to everyone. May God be with you, bless you and comfort you all.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you as well. My God bless and comfort you in this tragic time.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

This is sickening. And happening right near where the Charlie Hebdo massacre occurred. How did they not put better anti-terrorism plans into practice after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    This is sickening. And happening right near where the Charlie Hebdo massacre occurred. How did they not put better anti-terrorism plans into practice after that?
    Such as...?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Where do you live? Have you had absolutely no violence caused by nuts. criminals, terrorists or jackasses in the last year?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Such as...?
    Keeping tabs on people involved with radical groups or connections. So that nobody can get organized enough to pull such a coordinated stunt. I know NSA level surveillance isn't popular, and I read some article saying thast the Patriot act never led to one single terrorist threat being identified and prevented. But after the Hebdo attack, it made it clear Paris had a radical sub-community. A little bit of monitoring the local chatter could've rustled these killers out of their nests.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 11-13-2015 at 06:31 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Keeping tabs on people involved with radical groups or connections. So that nobody can get organized enough to pull such a coordinated stunt. I know NSA level surveillance isn't popular, and I read some article saying thast the Patriot act never led to one single terrorist threat being identified and prevented. But after the Hebdo attack, it made it clear Paris had a radical sub-community. A little bit of monitoring the local chatter could've rustled these killers out of their nests.
    They've been doing that for a long time.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I was on JBLM when I heard the news. My heart goes out to the victims...and their families.

All-New Member

Man, 120 people killed. That's wicked. And on Friday the 13th too!

Boisterously Confused

Dieu bénisse la France.

You mean like this?

France passed a controversial and sweeping new surveillance law in May allowing intelligence agencies to tap phone calls and emails without permission from a judge and analyze vast swaths of digital data on French citizens that was previously off-limits. Even before Charlie Hebdo, French counterterrorism authorities had unusually broad powers, including the ability to hold terrorism suspects for long periods without charges, quickly order wiretaps, and slap six-month travel bans on those suspected of trying to go to countries where terrorist groups operate.

Given the extensive and intrusive powers they’ve been granted, French counterterrorism authorities are likely to face some tough questions in the light of day about how a plot this big and well-organized went undetected.

There is indeed not really any need for new laws concerning security, all the needed tools already exist. Now, how they are used is a different matter.

Police and guys in charge of counterterrorism have already a level of authority and power really high, exceeding even what they had the right to do during the war in Algeria. (and boy, that was no fun time)

The more people you surveillance electronically the higher the chance you miss the import infos. 9/11 terrorists were well known by the FBI but the missed the infos about what they wanted to do.
    These days everyone knows about the surveillance of the Internet&E-Mails and Phones and Banks. It became very ineffective through over use you will only catch the stupid criminal/terrorist this way.

When you want some infos you need to send someone out to do it the old way with bugs and directional microphone and spy glasses and insiders.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    The more people you surveillance electronically the higher the chance you miss the import infos. 9/11 terrorists were well known by the FBI but the missed the infos about what they wanted to do.
    These days everyone knows about the surveillance of the Internet&E-Mails and Phones and Banks. It became very ineffective through over use you will only catch the stupid criminal/terrorist this way.

When you want some infos you need to send someone out to do it the old way with bugs and directional microphone and spy glasses and insiders.
    Agreed 100%.

God rest the dead.

My condolences to friends and families of the victims.