Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The works of HP Lovecraft and Race

curious...

http://www.playboy.com/articles/worl...vecraft-butler

This fellow's works have largely escaped my notice over the years.. But you can't explore comics/sci-fi/fantasy/horror culture message boards without somebody referencing him in some way or another. Obviously he's a pulp-era pioneer.. So he's generally regarded as a big deal in horror fiction? Anyone read his books/novellas? What contemporary works (prose, tv, film) are assumed to be influenced by him?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think it's a good move, retiring the bust. Erasing him entirely would be wrong, but moving beyond him as an image for horror fiction or "genre" enthusiasm is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    curious...

This fellow's works have largely escaped my notice over the years.. But you can't explore comics/sci-fi/fantasy/horror culture message boards without somebody referencing him in some way or another. Obviously he's a pulp-era pioneer.. So he's generally regarded as a big deal in horror fiction? Anyone read his books/novellas? What contemporary works (prose, tv, film) are assumed to be influenced by him?
    There is, in a sense, horror and supernatural genres before and after Lovecraft. Or, more fairly, before and after Lovecraft and associates. The mystique of a huge, interrelated universe of stories from the intimate to the cosmic. The indulgence of multiple layers of horror simultaneously existing, often in lush and deliberately obscure language. And, being fair as I can, his embracing of his racism, misogyny, gynophobia and paranoia boils up into something that has served a lot of writers, directors, painters, comics-makers, and so ever since, whether they were as earnest about it as he was or more socially aware but channeling it to effect.

Which, at the same time, doesn't mean every story or poem is one hundred percent perfect or amazing. The mystique is the biggest draw, and I mean that as no slight. His work should, at this point, be all public domain everywhere (despite efforts by Arkham House), and yes, it's well worth seeking some stuff out, at least online, to read. Most of it's short fiction, so you'll be in and out of stories pretty quickly, be able to decide if it appeals to you or not.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 11-14-2015 at 09:03 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Invincible Member

I'm too lazy to dig it out, but there's a Planetary/Authority crossover written by Warren Ellis where Ellis spoofs Lovecraft's racism in the opening pages.

Having said that Ellis uses Lovecraftian images alot in his comics...

BANNED

There was a pretty good article about Lovecraft's racism on Salon last year:

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/11/its_...ft_was_racist/

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    curious...

Lovecraft, as many have said, if like the grandfather of fantasy/horror; but he's also a giant racist f*ckwad. And one doesn't excuse the other. Similar to how Birth of a Nation (1915) is monumental work in terms of moving cinema technology and techniques forward... it's none the less a piece of sh*t story about how awesome KKK were; so it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

I agree about retiring his bust, give a bust of a woman or man worthy of it. I would say Poe, but he already has an award given out with his name on it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Enjoying Alan Moore's "Providence" at the moment, which basically is a tour through Lovecraft's universe through the eyes of a reporter. I'd recommend it.

Boisterously Confused

I do not seek to defend Lovecraft's racism. He was, however, a literary trailblazer.

Extending the logic of removing his name and face from that award, does that not imply that we should sandblast at least two of the faces off of Mount Rushmore?

I don't say this to be flippant, or inflammatory. Is it right to minimize the contributions of the past based on the ethics of today? That's the same argument that some use to condemn Islam because (by their interpretation of facts and contemporary standards) Muhammad was a pedophile. Should Heinlein's name be stripped from the award for space commercialization because even his strong female character stories have been accused of misogyny?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I do not seek to defend Lovecraft's racism. He was, however, a literary trailblazer.

Extending the logic of removing his name and face from that award, does that not imply that we should sandblast at least two of the faces off of Mount Rushmore?
    I'd like them to let the mountain go back to being a mountain, but then, I'm not so big on the Crazy Horse monument, either (nor, I suspect, would he have been).

But, I think it is up to living people, always, to choose who they respect, for what, and also who the lionize and how. Those, to me, are different things. I respect Lovecraft, but I won't consciously be an apologist for him, and I think that the genres for which he is most an interest have grown beyond him enough that his face isn't necessarily the best to put forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't say this to be flippant, or inflammatory. Is it right to minimize the contributions of the past based on the ethics of today?
    Lovecraft's hatred and paranoia weren't even "of his day." He was always an extremist.

RE Howard almost shot his literary career in the foot (not that it lasted long, considering his suicide a few years later, after his mother died) when Lovecraft took an interest in him, and put him in his inner circle of letter-writers and Howard flat called him out on being a racist and a misogynist. The only ethics of "today," that are really challenged by the actions taken are the ethics of looking the other way when politically convenient, really.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'd like them to let the mountain go back to being a mountain, but then, I'm not so big on the Crazy Horse monument, either (nor, I suspect, would he have been).

But, I think it is up to living people, always, to choose who they respect, for what, and also who the lionize and how. Those, to me, are different things. I respect Lovecraft, but I won't consciously be an apologist for him, and I think that the genres for which he is most an interest have grown beyond him enough that his face isn't necessarily the best to put forward.

Lovecraft's hatred and paranoia weren't even "of his day." He was always an extremist.

RE Howard almost shot his literary career in the foot (not that it lasted long, considering his suicide a few years later, after his mother died) when Lovecraft took an interest in him, and put him in his inner circle of letter-writers and Howard flat called him out on being a racist and a misogynist. The only ethics of "today," that are really challenged by the actions taken are the ethics of looking the other way when politically convenient, really.
    You make an excellent (and better informed) point. I cede to your argument and thank you for educating me.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

T. Hedge, where did you encounter the info about this Howard/HPL race argument?

I've only heard that they took opposing sides on the English vs. Irish conflict.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Enjoying Alan Moore's "Providence" at the moment, which basically is a tour through Lovecraft's universe through the eyes of a reporter. I'd recommend it.
    It's a great series, but I found it quite tactless that he is painting the Yazidis as some kind of Satanist/Great Old ones cult, considering what ISIS is currently doing to them in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    It's a great series, but I found it quite tactless that he is painting the Yazidis as some kind of Satanist/Great Old ones cult, considering what ISIS is currently doing to them in real life.
    As popular as it is to get upset over Miller and racial/ethnic stuff, I'm much, much more disappointed in Moore's descent into refusing to take responsibility for what he's writing and/or getting mad at anyone for suggesting his work has unfortunate implications at best. From shame-rape bull in Promethea to to black dick jokes in League, using a racist caricature, then getting mad because a black fan said it made her uncomfortable and she wished he hadn't.

Also, as a replacement likeness for the award: howsabout Mary Shelly, HG Wells, or Jules Verne?

Or, hell, even Jonathan Swift?

I like to go for the classic.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Also, as a replacement likeness for the award: howsabout Mary Shelly, HG Wells, or Jules Verne?

I think the replacement will be Octavia Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post

Well, those first three are more sci-fi than fantasy. I like the idea of Swift, though.

And of course there's always Lord Dunsany.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist