I finished reading Gotham By Midnight & I thought it was ok. I was glad Fawkes removed that Wrath of God hogwash, however I wasn't too keen on the ending or the separateness that still seemed to be present regarding the Spectre. Basically one of my problem with the Wrath of God idea is that it makes Corrigan separate from the Spectre when Corrigan & The Spectre should be the same person/spirit. I'm not very keen on characters that are reliant on external things to have powers (i.e. Green Lantern, old-school Iron Man, etc.), I like heroes whose powers are a part of their biology (in this case spirit) or in the case of magic, skills they acquired.

I've read that Roy Thomas' first issue of his magazine Alter Ego had a story he had written where basically it was
Thomas's proposal for a new version of the Spectre, as a man divided into two characters representing good and evil, ego and id: the Spectre and Count Dis.
*from wikipedia & also according to this book called "Bending Steel",
Thomas' Spectre story in Alter Ego also had Lovecraftian themes involving dark, unspeakable terrors seeping into and destroying modern urban culture
That IMO is far superior to the whole Wrath of God hogwash that Alan Moore gave the character & that Ostrander ran with (I'd argue Roy Thomas is just as good a writer as Moore himself & also had a solid understand of the Cthulhu Mythos just like Moore did as well). I mean it doesn't make the Spectre a separate entity from Corrigan & it adds the Mythos to the character as well. I still stand by Siegel being the definitive Spectre writer but if the character had to have a revision, Thomas' revision would've been leaps & bounds superior to the lame Wrath of God hogwash.