Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default DC/WB's No humor policy vs Marvel Studios's no smoking policy

Do you think both policies are similar?

BANNED

Does DC/WB have a no humor policy? Seems to be quite a lot of humor in Flash and Supergirl. Haven't watched Arrow in a couple years but prior to that it wasn't as if it was devoid of humor.

Does Marvel Studios specifically have a no smoking policy? Disney does, and it predates their acquisition of Marvel. Joe Quesada has a no smoking policy on the comics side, I believe. But I've not heard of one specifically by Marvel Studios.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

DC's no humour policy is for the movies cuz the movies and tv shows are handled by completely separate departments i think.

Marvel's no smoking policy makes sense and doesn't glorify a dangerous habit, DC's no humour policy is just to stop them being compared to Marvel movies.

One of these 2 studios is defining the curve and the other is too concerned with not looking like their successful rival.

I'm pretty sure the no humor thing was just a bs rumor. There was humor in MoS, it was just more subtle, as opposed to Marvel's constant, never ending stream of jokes to the point that even their villains are reduced to jokes.

I prefer DC's way of doing it, but that's just me.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the no humor thing was just a bs rumor. There was humor in MoS, it was just more subtle, as opposed to Marvel's constant, never ending stream of jokes to the point that even their villains are reduced to jokes.
    There was humor is MoS, but it always fell flat because it jarred with the general tone of the script and visuals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Nope, that isn't just you. Not me, but it isn't just you. IMO Marvel seems to have found a balance in their films. They don't take themselves too seriously. But DCs films seem like they are trying too hard to be too serious and to be taken seriously. If a movie is all one way or the other, the audience gets numb to the tone. But when you mix humor (not jokes, and yes Horatio, there is a difference) with the serious you just get a more balanced and in the end profitable film.

The scene where Starlord declares a danceoff isn't a joke, it is a bit of humor in the moment that also drives home how different he is from all the other aliens he is surrounded by. So it makes a point about his character and also gives us a little chuckle before the payoff to the bit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Nope, that isn't just you. Not me, but it isn't just you. IMO Marvel seems to have found a balance in their films. They don't take themselves too seriously. But DCs films seem like they are trying too hard to be too serious and to be taken seriously. If a movie is all one way or the other, the audience gets numb to the tone. But when you mix humor (not jokes, and yes Horatio, there is a difference) with the serious you just get a more balanced and in the end profitable film.

The scene where Starlord declares a danceoff isn't a joke, it is a bit of humor in the moment that also drives home how different he is from all the other aliens he is surrounded by. So it makes a point about his character and also gives us a little chuckle before the payoff to the bit.
    It's also, tactically, a good move; it's one hell of a distraction, and it would have been even if Ronan went ahead and tried to blast him. So it works on three levels (which means it's probably not a good example to use).

The DC/WB no humour 'policy' is something that's obvious bs and I find it somewhat bemusing that people think it's an actual thing. I mean, come on, they're doing a live action version of Harley Quinn. They've come out and said they're giving their film makers a lot of creative control so they're not going to then go and be like: "no jokes! At all! Of any sort!" Can you even imagine that conversation? And they're doing a Shazam film. And Flash is a pretty light character generally. Generally their humour is probably going to bit more subtle than what Marvel typically does and I prefer that by a mile. The Gotg ending really annoyed me.
    As for Marvel's no smoking policy, I wasn't aware that it existed. Smoking is a dangerous habit and the films won't suffer in any way from it not being shown. So not showing it in films that are big with kids is a good idea.
    The policies aren't similar since the first one doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Baba3231; 11-14-2015 at 07:21 PM.

BANNED

Using the GOTG dance off as an example of Marvel humor is sort of not really valid, since that movie was actually a straight up comedy, as opposed to Winter Soldier or Thor. Conversely, arguing that the scene was a good tactical move and not a joke is ridiculous. Of course it was a joke. That was the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Using the GOTG dance off as an example of Marvel humor is sort of not really valid, since that movie was actually a straight up comedy, as opposed to Winter Soldier or Thor. Conversely, arguing that the scene was a good tactical move and not a joke is ridiculous. Of course it was a joke. That was the whole point.
    Piggybacking but what Marvel have shown is a great diversity in their movies. Where as DC has rehashed the same 2 characters for decades now, and now they're trying to keep the tones in tandem ie dark gritty humourless bleak just interchange Batman and Superman in the title for the exact same tone of movie. Marvel has straight up comedies, straight up action, straight up thrillers. Can't really give DC that kind of credit. Any diversity in future is only possible because DC can now copy and replicate Marvel's cinematic universe formula.

I hope DC sent Marvel a muffin basket.

A no-smoking policy is a good idea. Disney is a family friendly corporation, so it makes sense that they have a no-smoking policy even for Marvel properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Piggybacking but what Marvel have shown is a great diversity in their movies. Where as DC has rehashed the same 2 characters for decades now, and now they're trying to keep the tones in tandem ie dark gritty humourless bleak just interchange Batman and Superman in the title for the exact same tone of movie. Marvel has straight up comedies, straight up action, straight up thrillers. Can't really give DC that kind of credit. Any diversity in future is only possible because DC can now copy and replicate Marvel's cinematic universe formula.

I hope DC sent Marvel a muffin basket.
    With the end of the Harry Potter franchise and the Hobbit films, Warner was always going to start relying more on DC properties, regardless of Disney's success with Marvel. Every major studio needs blockbuster franchises and Warner only really have DC now. They may well not have linked the movies in the way they will if Marvel hadn't done it first, but ultimately, Marvel didn't exactly invent the idea of crossovers so we'll never really know.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I have to say I'm not a big fan of entertainment companies engaging in social engineering by denying reality. They shouldn't glorify smoking or portray it as a good thing, but neither should they pretend that nobody smokes. They show people drinking and getting drunk, and alcohol addiction kills as many people as tobacco addiction.

DC doesn't put humor in their movies because they're relying on RiffTrax to do it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baba3231 View Post
    With the end of the Harry Potter franchise and the Hobbit films, Warner was always going to start relying more on DC properties, regardless of Disney's success with Marvel. Every major studio needs blockbuster franchises and Warner only really have DC now. They may well not have linked the movies in the way they will if Marvel hadn't done it first, but ultimately, Marvel didn't exactly invent the idea of crossovers so we'll never really know.
    So hopefully now there is more Harry Potter movies they'll stop reviving DC? I'm all for it.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    So hopefully now there is more Harry Potter movies they'll stop reviving DC? I'm all for it.
    It's not going to happen, since both franchises are bringing in money. If DC movies stopped bringing them in money, or DC TV stuff, then we'd see less of it.

But, really, if you don't like it, just don't watch.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)