Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'm curious when it comes to Steve and Diana what makes them different from Superman's or Batman's relationships? One thing I would say is there no back and forth. There is a straight about their relationships

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious when it comes to Steve and Diana what makes them different from Superman's or Batman's relationships? One thing I would say is there no back and forth. There is a straight about their relationships
    Quite a bit honestly.
    To compare, Batmans most prominent relationships are all with criminals who are dangerously flirtatious. They don't see him for Bruce Wayne, they see him as Batman because Bruce Wayne is just a disguise he wears. To focus on Catwoman, she is fascinated with him because he is a challenge. From Batmans perspective he has someone who understands him who without his realizing, mannaged to get closer to him than he ever realized. Their entire relationship is a game of cat and mouse going both ways.

With Superman you have a guy who for the longest time associated with this woman in two separate identities. He first meets her as a coworker and rescues her as a superhero. Their relationship starts off as both a competition to one up the other for the scoop, and one reporting on the adventures of the other. Once the identity is revealed, its still a whole bit about knowing the same man in two different roles, though now Lois is covering for him and working to support Superman who likewise supports her career.

With Steve and Diana as tired as it might seem for a fan, their first meeting does alot to define their relationship. Diana is the one who finds him. The one who rescues him and saving his life, she nurses him back to health. His existence is what leads Diana to leave the island. He knew Wonder Woman was a princess who lived on an island paradise and she chose to leave the island and be with him. Yes she was motivated by her mission of bringing peace to the world and bettering it. But she also cared about him. Initially like a doctor tending to a reckless loon but eventually as someone she loved.

One of the most defining moments in their relationship across all of the canon would be the kickoff of the mod era. Diana is offered the chance to return to Paradise Island to live there forever. For the island was returning to another dimension. If she chose not to remain on the island she was told that she would never set foot on the island ever again. That she would lose her powers. That she would lose the favor of the gods themselves with this decision. But given the choice between her family, her faith, and her very identity VS Steve Trevor, she abandoned everything she knew and loved in order to be with Steve.

On the other side of the coin you have Steve Trevor who has on multiple occasions been ordered by his own government to betray Wonder Woman in the name of his country but flat out refused, relying on his princibles. He has on multiple occasions died in order to protect Wonder Woman and while hes as patriotic as any other Steve worth naming, Wonder Woman will always come first for him.

What has been the worst thing about their relationship or rather hos writers have handled their relationship? At times for me it’s how Steve has been written . Has if he only has relationships if he is with Diana. In majority of all Dc runs Steve has shown a lot of personality with or without Diana.

What has been the worst thing about their relationship or rather hos writers have handled their relationship? At times for me it’s how Steve has been written . Has if he only has relationships if he is with Diana. In majority of all Dc runs Steve has shown a lot of personality with or without Diana.
    Kanighters take on Trevor which butchered his characterization irrevocably in the eyes of people. In an effort to write Steve like all of his other men of action, Steve acts like a grunting caveman who insisted that he owned Wonder Woman and if he saw a man speaking with her he would beat them unconscious with Wonder Woman standing back and watching as if this is totally normal because Kanighter thought this was how romance worked. Oh and having Steve constantly pushing Wonder Woman to retire and become a house wife which was specifically a thing only under Kanighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Kanighters take on Trevor which butchered his characterization irrevocably in the eyes of people. In an effort to write Steve like all of his other men of action, Steve acts like a grunting caveman who insisted that he owned Wonder Woman and if he saw a man speaking with her he would beat them unconscious with Wonder Woman standing back and watching as if this is totally normal because Kanighter thought this was how romance worked. Oh and having Steve constantly pushing Wonder Woman to retire and become a house wife which was specifically a thing only under Kanighter.
    Which is terrible. Marston and many other writers have made should Steve was his own character. While yes he loved Wonder Woman he never forced Diana into marrying him.

Lately, I've been playing around with the notion and themes of mythic romances as part of my approach to Steve and his "human" condition. Here's a guy who has chosen to love a literal demigod (in the recent version at least) and we know how love between gods, let alone gods and mortals, turns out for the most part (not well) based on Greek myths as well as the myths of many pantheons in their mythologies across time ad infinitum.

Here's a guy and girl and their romance, literally trying to change the course of fate, and the stars, and Greek tragedy itself, by virtue of their love.

Whether or not I'll use that lens to look at them long term with the Wonder stuff I'm working on is unclear, but it's been a fun prism to thematically think of the importance and strength of their relationship and feelings for one another.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Lately, I've been playing around with the notion and themes of mythic romances as part of my approach to Steve and his "human" condition. Here's a guy who has chosen to love a literal demigod (in the recent version at least) and we know how love between gods, let alone gods and mortals, turns out for the most part (not well) based on Greek myths as well as the myths of many pantheons in their mythologies across time ad infinitum.
    A counterexample: Aphrodite and Anchises.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A counterexample: Aphrodite and Anchises.
    There will always be counter examples, but my point was that loving a god does not often bode well for the mortal, either directly or indirectly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    There will always be counter examples, but my point was that loving a god does not often bode well for the mortal, either directly or indirectly.
    Oh, there are more, but one has to examine the various myths before starting to draw conclusions, because they follow different themes.

The Zeus myths you have Zeus getting the hots of mortal woman (including rapey implications) and then Hera getting angry at the women (since she isn't allowed to be angry at Zeus per the standard of the days).

Then you have the various myths of mainly Artemis getting suitors (or stalkers) and killing them. But Artemis isn't interested in the suitors.

A third form is the one you get with one of the Medusa myths, where Poseidon raped Medusa in Athena's temple, and Athena punished her for that (even if we have that story from Ovid); that is largely similar to the earlier pattern with Hera. Otherwise, being a mortal consort with Poseidon seems to often have had happy outcomes, at least some of the time. Aphrodite I mentioned above.

A last form of bad outcome comes with hubris after a liaison with a god, like the story with Chione, but Steve Trevor doesn't seem to prone to that.

I been thinking about this for a while. What if Steve had a attracted some of he female gods. I just think that would be a nice gag joke. But no matter what he is always loyal to Diana. I always wondered this if Diana at least in the movies immortal why not Steve? If they ever made Diana immoral in the comic couldn’t at least Steve somehow found a way.

BANNED

I been thinking about this for a while. What if Steve had a attracted some of he female gods. I just think that would be a nice gag joke.
    Seems Wilson is planning something like that, with this in the solicitation for #60: "Meanwhile, Steve Trevor’s been kidnapped and confronts his captor: the Goddess of Love, Aphrodite, who’s extremely pissed."

BANNED