Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That really only applies to some specific romance plots. I'm far from an expert in romance fiction, but I hope I'm at least well-read enough to have at least some clue about its various forms and variations. And romance and loving relationships can be treated in several different ways in fiction.

The most common form of romance, and arguably the dominant form where the romance is the main plot, is where the question is if the couple will get together or not in the end—the conclusion is a kiss, or an engagement, or a marriage, or the birth of a child (as Lois Bujold once said the "birth of a child is the proper climax, after all, of any romance that starts out “boy meets girl,” if the romance is not falsely truncated"). And there you can either have internal or external factors as the obstacles or objections to overcome to reach the happy ending. But there are several other forms that the matter of love and loving relationships can take in fiction.

Which partner? Here we get the classic triangle drama, but again, this is largely a variation of the "boy meets girl". This was the path chosen for Clark Kent–Lois Lane–Superman, and was also a complicating element for Diana Prince–Steve Trevor–Wonder Woman.

Partners in adventure, where the couple is established (and might be either platonic or sexual), and they together overcome obstacles, and sometimes have conflicts (in different ways) over how they are to overcome the various obstacles. Xena and Gabrielle is an excellent example, Valérian and Laureline is another. Note here that the latter very often place the two acting independently, often on different facets of the same mission, but sometimes on entirely different missions.

Domestic life, where the focus is on home life and things happening with their friends. Perhaps not that well suited to a superhero comics, but it can and likely should be used as seasoning. Think of "The Cosby Show".

But I think that any attempt to build a great relationship between the two must take some effort to tell Steve's story in some way, like the movie or "The Legend of Wonder Woman" did. But in most other cases, he's mostly there as a support and enabler for Diana, he has little or no independent role in the stories.

ETA: Exchanged "Etta" for "Diana" in the last sentence, due to not thinking while typing.
    Xena and Gabrielle had their fair share of disagreements.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Well due to Steve being the average joe it would make sense for him to also deal with this whole notion of him being with a woman more powerful than him and him being the damsel from time to time. In terms of villians why not give him Paula Von Gunter and Poison? If he had his own villain maybe it could be himself. I mean wasn't a alt ego of Steve's Captain Wonder ? What if someone brought that version of himself. Patriarchal man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well due to Steve being the average joe it would make sense for him to also deal with this whole notion of him being with a woman more powerful than him and him being the damsel from time to time. In terms of villians why not give him Paula Von Gunter and Poison? If he had his own villain maybe it could be himself. I mean wasn't a alt ego of Steve's Captain Wonder ? What if someone brought that version of himself. Patriarchal man
    I don't think of Steve as Batman, but I think of him as more than the average Joe in the DCU. He has impressive skills all his own, but that doesn't preclude exploring the relationship between a man and a much more powerful woman and all that does and could mean in our culture.

It's interesting. I don't think of any of Superman's villains as Lois Lane villains. There are some that threaten them both, but they're not usually primarily Lois foes.

So, sometimes, I wonder if Steve really needs his own villains versus sharing them with Wonder Woman by virtue of her adversarial relationship with them? It's an interesting question and certainly Superman and Lois Lane don't have to be a model for Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor.

All this said, I enjoyed his pairing and opposition to Saturna and the Crimson Men in his one-shot. They need to decide if Steve is once and for all a leader/member at ARGUS, because then I can see him coming across some villains on his own and not just as a target because of his relationship with Diana.

There are plenty of Wonder adversaries that haven't been touched in years that would make for good adversaries for Diana and Steve, if you view the two as the main protagonist and one of the main supporting protagonists in the Wonder mythos. I mean, Steve encountering Doctor Poison, Doctor Cale, The Mask, Saturna, etc. and having subplots in the broader aspect of Wonder Woman's exploits in the title could be very intriguing.

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I've never seen these panels before. I love it!

Its from one of one of the later issues of the pre crisis era. The one where Diana tells the story of Artemis the first Wonder Woman

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don't think of Steve as Batman, but I think of him as more than the average Joe in the DCU. He has impressive skills all his own, but that doesn't preclude exploring the relationship between a man and a much more powerful woman and all that does and could mean in our culture.

It's interesting. I don't think of any of Superman's villains as Lois Lane villains. There are some that threaten them both, but they're not usually primarily Lois foes.

So, sometimes, I wonder if Steve really needs his own villains versus sharing them with Wonder Woman by virtue of her adversarial relationship with them? It's an interesting question and certainly Superman and Lois Lane don't have to be a model for Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor.

All this said, I enjoyed his pairing and opposition to Saturna and the Crimson Men in his one-shot. They need to decide if Steve is once and for all a leader/member at ARGUS, because then I can see him coming across some villains on his own and not just as a target because of his relationship with Diana.

There are plenty of Wonder adversaries that haven't been touched in years that would make for good adversaries for Diana and Steve, if you view the two as the main protagonist and one of the main supporting protagonists in the Wonder mythos. I mean, Steve encountering Doctor Poison, Doctor Cale, The Mask, Saturna, etc. and having subplots in the broader aspect of Wonder Woman's exploits in the title could be very intriguing.
    e trick i
    I wouldn't think Steve needs a lot of his own villains maybe 5 of his own or any of the older Wonder Woman villans that aren't used anymore. I mean unlike the other 2 Steve and Diana have a different dynamic. I also think if Diana isn't there maybe JL could go to Steve on certain magical items. I always wondered when it comes to the rest of DC how should Diana magically knowledge be? We have some many magical heroes but when it comes to Diana, should she be in the top ten?

BANNED

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Great stuff. Diana standing up for her man.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

What have been Steve's best moments in the comics?