Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, but also considering the next movie is set 35 years ago Steve would be in his 70's if he survived to the same time as BVS. which frankly seems unlikely, considering how Diana reacted to his picture.

So if he is really back for WW84 he is still not back long term, as I see it.
    Perhaps he comes back for the third in the trilogy set in present day and this time it sticks

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Extraordinary Member

The trick to keeping any romance engaging for the audience is you need a certain amount of friction to generate heat.

At some point I hope they have Diana and Steve out of sync. You need that to keep things interesting.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The trick to keeping any romance engaging for the audience is you need a certain amount of friction to generate heat.
    That really only applies to some specific romance plots. I'm far from an expert in romance fiction, but I hope I'm at least well-read enough to have at least some clue about its various forms and variations. And romance and loving relationships can be treated in several different ways in fiction.

The most common form of romance, and arguably the dominant form where the romance is the main plot, is where the question is if the couple will get together or not in the end—the conclusion is a kiss, or an engagement, or a marriage, or the birth of a child (as Lois Bujold once said the "birth of a child is the proper climax, after all, of any romance that starts out “boy meets girl,” if the romance is not falsely truncated"). And there you can either have internal or external factors as the obstacles or objections to overcome to reach the happy ending. But there are several other forms that the matter of love and loving relationships can take in fiction.

Which partner? Here we get the classic triangle drama, but again, this is largely a variation of the "boy meets girl". This was the path chosen for Clark Kent–Lois Lane–Superman, and was also a complicating element for Diana Prince–Steve Trevor–Wonder Woman.

Partners in adventure, where the couple is established (and might be either platonic or sexual), and they together overcome obstacles, and sometimes have conflicts (in different ways) over how they are to overcome the various obstacles. Xena and Gabrielle is an excellent example, Valérian and Laureline is another. Note here that the latter very often place the two acting independently, often on different facets of the same mission, but sometimes on entirely different missions.

Domestic life, where the focus is on home life and things happening with their friends. Perhaps not that well suited to a superhero comics, but it can and likely should be used as seasoning. Think of "The Cosby Show".

But I think that any attempt to build a great relationship between the two must take some effort to tell Steve's story in some way, like the movie or "The Legend of Wonder Woman" did. But in most other cases, he's mostly there as a support and enabler for Diana, he has little or no independent role in the stories.

ETA: Exchanged "Etta" for "Diana" in the last sentence, due to not thinking while typing.
    Last edited by kjn; 09-08-2018 at 06:45 AM.

I wonder how can Dc write Steve to be independent of Diana and interesting? One thing is how should he go with Diana’s enemies. Should he get his own enemies?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I wonder how can Dc write Steve to be independent of Diana and interesting? One thing is how should he go with Diana’s enemies. Should he get his own enemies?
    Evil alternate dimensional counterpart Trever Stevenson?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    ???
    Very easily. Id argue that the one shot showed that Steve being independent of Diana and interesting is doable.
    As for Dianas enemies, I feel the need to point out that she has several lower level foes who would give Steve alot more trouble than they would her. The Cartel with its 'greatest assassins of each continent' Draska the Deadly. Wonder Woman over the years amassed a large number of spy type villains and enemies who lacked powers or relied on subtefuge or a singulat specific gizmo. Give some of those to Steve and that would keep him busy.

Which is Diana's real enemy? The one she seeks out time and time again to do battle against? It's not Cheetah, or even Doctor Psycho. It's war and patriarchal oppression, because they stop her goals of peace and equality. So I'd say it is much more important to give Steve goals, just like the movie did. ("Legend of Wonder Woman" Steve Trevor is slightly different, and followed more of a "way over his head" arc.)

Here are some of the ways that I imagine a Steve Trevor, free of the shackles of toxic masculinity^W^W the military-supernatural complex, could be used. (Idea seeds provided free of charge.)

During a humanitarian relief mission, Steve learns about rumours of kidnappings or human sacrifice. He calls in the cavalry (i.e. Wonder Woman), but due to whatever reasons, Diana can't both win and rescue the kidnappees. Enter Steve to play the role of the Great eagles with Sam and Frodo at Mount Doom in The Return of the King.

Or a story arc where Steve has gone missing or been kidnapped, and Diana goes away to rescue him. She draws all their fire, but then a standoff appears when the villains unveil their doomsday machine. The clincher: Diana raised enough hell that Steve could get loose and disable the machine. That's basically the climax of

spoilers:
    Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold
    end of spoilers

Or if the Birds of Prey returns to their old glory, a team like that can need a daring and trustworthy pilot. (Huntress and Black Canary object to having a man on the team, given the way men tend to become lovestruck idiots around them and messing up their team dynamics. Then they learn it's Steve Trevor, so they're already outmatched as girlfriend material.)

There has been corruption/takeover of the regular channels between the U.N./US government/other regular governments and the Justice League, and the people on the inside discovering it need a channel to reliably and discreetly get in touch with the superhero world. Who better than Steve Trevor?

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED