Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    This is an appreciation thread, folks. If you want to discuss whether or not Steve should be a part of the book or what part he should play, please start a new thread.

Thanks!
    I like Steve very well, as he's currently portrayed. He seems to be his own man, now.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Steve Trevor is part and parcel of the Wonderverse.

He is literally Wonder Woman's counterpoint to Superman's Lois Lane. He was there from the very beginning, a part of Wonder Woman's original origin story and created by Wonder Woman's maker William Marston to be a major part of Diana's life.

Like with Lois Lane, the later writers for Steve Trevor did him injustice after injustice, first making him a marriage-obsessed doormat, then making him a marriage-obsessed asshat, before George Perez did him the ultimate injustice and prematurely aged him so as to keep his version of Wonder Woman as sexless and "pure" as possible. After 25 years of uselessness, the New 52 re-vitalized Steve Trevor, restoring him to his prime in the new JUSTICE LEAGUE title ... only to have Azz decide Steve wasn't something he wanted to write about.

We had a good, relevant Steve back for one shining moment and then he was cast into limbo. ARGUS ain't WONDER WOMAN.

Two things need to happen for young Steve Trevor to be fully re-integrated back into Diana's life: 1) Azz has to finish his run on the WONDER WOMAN solo title, and 2) the SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN romance has to eventually run it course and return Lois Lane back to the center of the Superverse. I'm predicting the second thing to happen sometime next year, well before BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE hits the theaters the following Spring of 2016.

#teamSteve

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

He is literally Wonder Woman's counterpoint to Superman's Lois Lane. He was there from the very beginning, a part of Wonder Woman's original origin story and created by Wonder Woman's maker William Marston to be a major part of Diana's life.

Like with Lois Lane, the later writers for Steve Trevor did him injustice after injustice, first making him a marriage-obsessed doormat, then making him a marriage-obsessed asshat, before George Perez did him the ultimate injustice and prematurely aged him so as to keep his version of Wonder Woman as sexless and "pure" as possible. After 25 years of uselessness, the New 52 re-vitalized Steve Trevor, restoring him to his prime in the new JUSTICE LEAGUE title ... only to have Azz decide Steve wasn't something he wanted to write about.

We had a good, relevant Steve back for one shining moment and then he was cast into limbo. ARGUS ain't WONDER WOMAN.

Two things need to happen for young Steve Trevor to be fully re-integrated back into Diana's life: 1) Azz has to finish his run on the WONDER WOMAN solo title, and 2) the SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN romance has to eventually run it course and return Lois Lane back to the center of the Superverse. I'm predicting the second thing to happen sometime next year, well before BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE hits the theaters the following Spring of 2016.

#teamSteve
    I think Steve suffered enough humiliations over the years. This whole Superman/Wonder Woman thing was the icing on the cake. DC basically used Steve as a set up for Superman/Wonder Woman and put him in the wrong most of the time. Steve is his own man and he can stay away from Wonder Woman. Steve needs to move on with his life. The dude is military after all and ARGUS is his life. Wonder Woman can always stay with Superman.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 08-25-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    I think Steve suffered enough humiliations over the years. This whole Superman/Wonder Woman thing was the icing on the cake. DC basically used Steve as a set up for Superman/Wonder Woman and put him in the wrong most of the time. Steve is his own man and he can stay away from Wonder Woman. Steve needs to move on with his life. The dude is military after all and ARGUS is his life. Wonder Woman can always stay with Superman.
    The thread title is right there at the top of the page. It's an appreciation of Diana being romantically linked with Steve. If your posting about why you like them not being together you've completely missed the point. I think Gaelforce made that pretty clear.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

#teamSteve
    Go Team Steve!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

#teamSteve
    Azzarello didn't had any fault on this. remember that Steve gained a mention, a really fun mention in this series and none for glen coco ops I mean Superman.
    For sure Azz isn't against Trevor, he said he would show up on his book. this is yet to be seem. He clearly doesn't has any problems with the character. The one who screw things was Johns.

In a DC comics meeting Diane nelson said to get more corporate synergy and put the next releases on the table. so 2016-2017 things will start to get right for steve and diana.

I kind of dig a Ya novel with Diana and Steve, now only if there was a good exposure to interest writers.

Steve was always his own man.

I don't know why the obsession to get characters single just to say they are their own man/woman.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 08-26-2014 at 07:54 AM.

This week starts a new Smallville Arc in which Wonder Woman will appear. Here what Bryan Q. Miller 'spoilered':

It seems she can't fly on her own in Smallville...

Anyway, in the last issue (this new storyline will continue directly from the last one) Diana appeared in some panels with Steve at the D.E.O., so he will probably appear in this new arc too, and maybe if they will have more page space in this arc, their relationship could be developped too =)
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

BANNED

Man WW already has her hands on Lois...geez she is really quick
    Lois already impressed with pegasus wow
    Nrama: I want to talk about the Hellbat suit. How did you come up with that idea?

Tomasi: We both knew we needed to have Bruce in something that could take some punches, could take some massive damage and not take him out.

So we're really exploring Batman from the human side — and Wonder Woman pointed out that he's the human one in the group, and they had to make sure they kept him protected. Pat and I knew we needed something like that.

And then Pat started working his magic.
    Holy doube standarts batman ¬¬

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    This week starts a new Smallville Arc in which Wonder Woman will appear. Here what Bryan Q. Miller 'spoilered':

It seems she can't fly on her own in Smallville...

Anyway, in the last issue (this new storyline will continue directly from the last one) Diana appeared in some panels with Steve at the D.E.O., so he will probably appear in this new arc too, and maybe if they will have more page space in this arc, their relationship could be developped too =)
    I'll bet Steve gives her heart wings

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The thread title is right there at the top of the page. It's an appreciation of Diana being romantically linked with Steve. If your posting about why you like them not being together you've completely missed the point. I think Gaelforce made that pretty clear.
    I love the idea of Steve being romatically linked to Wonder Woman, but also love the idea of their being so-called 'star-crossed lovers'. For you younger fans, that means lovers, who are deeply, passionately in love with one another, ..but separated by great distances, circumstances or even socio-political realities. With Steve's new life as DC's answer to Nick Fury, and Diana, as wild, globe-travelling adventuress, we finally have the perfect narrative conditions to see that happen!

Is that making sense to anyone, here?

I think there needs to be some mystery and intrigue between them, ..as with Batman and Catwoman. Or Batman and Talia. I really am ready for Diana and Steve (and in that order) to be together, again.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-26-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Azzarello didn't had any fault on this. remember that Steve gained a mention, a really fun mention in this series and none for glen coco ops I mean Superman.
    I disagree. Azz is definitely culpable for some of Steve's marginalization during the last 3 years of the New52. A single "really fun mention" in 3 years is NOTHING for a Supreme Beta character like Steve Trevor. No brownie points to Azz for that.

For sure Azz isn't against Trevor, he said he would show up on his book. this is yet to be seem. He clearly doesn't has any problems with the character. The one who screw things was Johns.
    I disagree again. Azz's run is coming to a close. His time with Wonder Woman is almost done. Steve Trevor has not shown up yet and the run is over 90% done. Azz may not have been able to stop the Superman/Wonder Woman romance from dominating, but notice how he was able to keep Superman completely out of WW's solo book? If he had the power to do THAT, Azz clearly had the power to keep Steve Trevor actively in the WW book. He could have have developed Steve's character on the sidelines while keep him squarely in the Wonderverse. But Azz did nothing of the sort. He, not Johns, cast Steve Trevor out of the Wonderverse.

Azz's actions speak louder than any kind words he may have had.

Azz is no friend of Steve Trevor.

In a DC comics meeting Diane nelson said to get more corporate synergy and put the next releases on the table. so 2016-2017 things will start to get right for steve and diana.
    Here we agree. At least this is my hope. I figure the SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN title may continue even if the romance is eventually abandoned, kind of like a GREEN LANTERN / GREEN ARROW platonic team-up title. Otherwise, that title is done as soon as the romance is.

I kind of dig a Ya novel with Diana and Steve, now only if there was a good exposure to interest writers.
    Cart before the horse there.

Steve Trevor may be Lois Lane's counterpart, but let's not kid ourselves: he's nowhere close to Lois's level of fame and popularity. She has been consistently the #1 supporting character of the Superverse for 76 years (MAN OF STEEL movie's influence negates New 52's marginalization of Lois) and counting. Steve doesn't have anything like her track record anymore (not since 1986).

Steve was always his own man.
    Steve was always a Beta, always intended to be a supporting character that revolved around Diana. He was never intended to become an Alpha.

I don't know why the obsession to get characters single just to say they are their own man/woman.
    B/c singlehood represents independence, while couplehood represents interdependence. You don't hear too many songs celebrating interdependence.

All that said:

Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 08-27-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Incredible Member

Steve was always a Beta, always intended to be a supporting character that revolved around Diana. He was never intended to become an Alpha.
    Well lest hope him being the head of ARGUS (hope I'm correct on that one) can change his beta status to an alpha status. I see great things in Steve. He has the potential to be the Nick Fury of the DC universe alongside Amanda Waller. He truly need to be his own man to accomplish wonders and him being with Wonder Woman again or close to her would destroy his character development. Question : Did he let go of Wonder Woman ?

Extraordinary Member

Disagree with the alpha comment.

The implication here is that an alpha female can only be equal with a beta male. Steve is an alpha, but the dynamics are completely redefined.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Disagree with the alpha comment.

The implication here is that an alpha female can only be equal with a beta male. Steve is an alpha, but the dynamics are completely redefined.
    I should probably have defined what I mean by alpha, beta and so on

For me, it goes like this:

an "Alpha" (in terms of superhero comic-book storytelling) is a singular character around whom an entire mythos can be built upon and around. An Alpha is a primary character whose origin is not dependent on any other primary character. They were always the stars of their stories with their own supporting cast and personal rogues gallery created to serve them. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Shazam, are all examples of unqualified Alpha characters.

a "Beta" (in terms of superhero comic-book storytelling) is a character who exists to enrich and enhance the stories of the Alpha. Someone whose main purpose is directly tied into the Alpha. Love interests, Parental figures, Surrogate children, civilian allies and most especially sidekicks fall into this category. Lois Lane, Steve Trevor, Robin (the mantle), Supergirl, Batgirl, Superboy (non-Kal-El), Aqualad, Wonder Girl, Speedy, Mary Batson, Miss Martian, Jonathan & Martha Kent, Alfred Pennyworth, Jim Gordon, Perry White, and Jimmy Olsen are all examples of Betas.

a "Gamma" (in terms of superhero comic-book storytelling) is a character that is tied to a legacy. They are basically Qualified (as opposed to Unqualified) Alphas, with a catch: they are not the only ones to bear their own name. They are part of a line of Alphas. They were not just part of an extended storyline and their stories lasted for a decade or more. They have their own supporting casts and personal rogues gallery, but there were also other characters either before or after them to bear their name. The Flash (Jay Garrick / Barry Allen / Wally West), Green Lantern (Alan Scott / Hal Jordan / Guy Gardner / John Stewart / Kyle Rayner), Hawkman & Hawkgirl (Carter Hall / Kator Hol & Shiera Hall / Shayera Thal / Kendra Saunders), The Atom (Al Pratt / Ray Palmer), Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett / Ted Kord / Jaimie Reyes) are all examples of Gammas.

a "Delta" (in terms of superhero comic-book storytelling) is a character who was created as a Beta and has on origin directed tied to an Alpha, but has since officially tried to move forward as their own person. A Delta no longer retains the derivative name, logo/emblem, or costume as their Alpha. Former sidekicks and direct derivatives who do not or no longer fall under the guidance of (but still owe their very existence to) the Alphas would be here. Dick Grayson (character), Batwoman, Power Girl, Huntress, Donna Troy (character), Roy Harper (character), Garth (character) are all examples of Deltas.

a "Epsilon/Zeta" (in terms of superhero comic-book storytelling) is a character who has an origin independent of any Alpha character who lacks their own supporting cast and personal rogues gallery. These characters may have started off as a member of a team with no superhero mentor to derive from. Or they have been guest stars in a more popular book and then finally graduated to their own series (at which point they'd be indistinguishable from Alphas once they acquired their own original supporting cast and personal rogues gallery). Epsilon/Zeta characters could be called Future Alphas: they technically could eventually meet all the qualifications of an Alpha in time. John Constantine may be one (although he may be a Delta due to Swamp Thing). Firestorm is one. Cyborg (Victor Stone) is the most clear-cut example of an Epsilon/Zeta.

Whew!

So that's what I mean when I refer to Steve Trevor as a Beta character. It's not a slight against him in any way, it's merely referring to the fact that he was created to support Wonder Woman (who clearly IS an Alpha), not become his own franchise apart from her.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Supergirl as a beta? Ouch! I wouldn't post that on the Superboards.

Though I think according to your criteria she is a Delta.

Though it does raise interesting questions of relationships between 2 Alphas.