Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

God Ewing should get over this massive case of white guilt he has. Every Wiccas opinion I read on Billy was positive, so stop acting like your fighting discrimination here. This is the same as when Speedy Gonzales was supposed to stop because a bunch of white guys complained about how racist he was. Then mexcians complained people were trying to take Speedy away from them.

And he should get a clue on Hulkling. The guys has the same intelligence rating as Spider-Man for a reason he is a highly intelligent character capable of stopping alien invasions with simple manipulations and trick two of the smartest people in marvel. Now we go with the Ryan North/Kieron Gillen guillible big idiot character with neglectable powers and not give us an out of character big people eat a lot joke. Not helping that he and his artist seemingly haven't done enough research on him to know he isn't normaly green. I can't wait for this comic to give him some new ability and then tell us how an originally awesome characters is now cool for the first time.

Maybe I should cut my losses with my favorite characters and hope the vanish in obscurity till this time is over, where heterosexual white people use them to show how tolerant they are by misusing these characters to gain the appreaciation of other heterosexual white guys that want to claim tolerance while believing in stereotypes in minorities as well as that of minorities guillible enough to fall for it as well.

And Toni is the traitor trying to reprogram or take out Pod now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stahlflamme View Post
    God Ewing should get over this massive case of white guilt he has.
    Never doubt the power of white guilt and its proponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Well, Demiurge could work. I mean, that's what he is or will be. Though doesn't really sound like a good hero name. I mean the only other thing he's referred to is the 'magic messiah', but 'messiah' definitely ain't going to fly. And because he's also Jewish and the whole can-of-drama that would bring would be amazing.

And Hulkling definitely needs a different name, at least one that doesn't make him sound related to another hero he only has the skin-tone in common.

(And btw, from the preview, I highly doubt that Teddy would know who Dagwood is. The sandwich sure, but knowing that the sandwich is based on a character from a really old comic strip? Is the big sandwich still a running gag in Blondie?)
    It is, and I'm not crazy about Demiurge either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    What about ...... Captain Marvel? in honour of his late father.

(gotta go now, to hide from any Carol Danvers fans)
    Only if he dressed the part, but yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Didn't Wiccan and Loki have a similar conversation in Gillen's run? Or did that only happen in my head?

It's an interesting idea. Power Man is someone who is invested in racial issues, so it makes sense that he would have a problem with cultural appropriation, even if it's not his culture. Beyond that, Wiccan's name is simply inaccurate. He's not Wiccan.

The Pod stuff is great. I feel so bad for her now. It's obvious she's suffering a broken heart. Also, neat that her sexuality is coming up in just the third issue. Ewing's not wasting time with that. I do hope things get better for her, though. She seems like she's probably a sweetheart.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd welcome a name change for Wiccan and Hulkling actually.
    You and me both. Hulkling moreso than Wiccan, but Vic's commentary is on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    Didn't Wiccan and Loki have a similar conversation in Gillen's run? Or did that only happen in my head?
    Yes but it was in passing and in jest.

How about Marvel Knight and Marvel Wizard for Hulking and Wiccan respectively? Just throwing it out there. Thought it would be cool to refer to them as "Knight & Wizard" (alternatively "Wizard & Knight") or "Knight & Wiz" with their actual codenames including the company name.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-15-2015 at 11:04 PM.

I'd vote for calling Billy "Deus ex Machina" or some such, I mean its definition pretty much fits him "an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation, especially as a contrived plot device in a play or novel."

That's me being cynical though. I still hold Children's Crusade was horribly, horribly contrived story made primarily to salvage the colossal mess that Scarlet Witch had turned into and sort-of retcon what John Byrne did years ago; but at least Billy's now established himself as a character apart from that connection with Wanda.

Though Deus could be an okay hero name now that I think about it.

I'd vote for calling Billy "Deus ex Machina" or some such, I mean its definition pretty much fits him "an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation, especially as a contrived plot device in a play or novel."

That's me being cynical though. I still hold Children's Crusade was horribly, horribly contrived story made primarily to salvage the colossal mess that Scarlet Witch had turned into and sort-of retcon what John Byrne did years ago; but at least Billy's now established himself as a character apart from that connection with Wanda.

That was already done in the Brian K Vaughan series. Well, it was "Ex Machina" but same concept used in a *wink wink* manner.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It's an interesting idea. Power Man is someone who is invested in racial issues, so it makes sense that he would have a problem with cultural appropriation, even if it's not his culture. Beyond that, Wiccan's name is simply inaccurate. He's not Wiccan.
    And before that Doctor Nemesis pointed it out and before that two of his teammates changed his name from Asgardian because he wasn't actually asgardian. So looks like we're only recycling stuff here. Writers should know the difference between character moments and character traits (the former don't repeat themselves).
    Also the White Tiger exists in a japanese mythology.(Byakko)
    And Powerman was a name a black hero Luke Cage unintentionally stole from a white hero.
    So maybe those would be more original to get into.
    And again the only Wiccan reaction I know of that is a positiive one. So Ewing should do his research before bringing this up feeling he had to defend cultures he has no clue about. Wiccans get potrayed as all kinds of ridiculous vodoo and in media(and vodoo is even worse off) so its certainly not the name of a character some of them like, where you should put your misguided white priviliged guilt into play.

Billy was established without his connection to Wanda. He was a new teen hero magic user. Just like Spider-Man was originallly a new hero with spider powers and Ms. Marvel is a new hero with inhuman shapeshifting powers. But I agree Deus ex Machina works given that now the character has always be connected to some huge fate and was potrayed as completely useless until the plot demands for it to be different.

And before that Doctor Nemesis pointed it out and before that two of his teammates changed his name from Asgardian because he wasn't actually asgardian. So looks like we're only recycling stuff here. Writers should know the difference between character moments and character traits (the former don't repeat themselves).
    Well, maybe picking shitty codenames is a character trait for Billy.

And again the only Wiccan reaction I know of that is a positiive one. So Ewing should do his research before bringing this up feeling he had to defend cultures he has no clue about. Wiccans get potrayed as all kinds of ridiculous vodoo and in media(and vodoo is even worse off) so its certainly not the name of a character some of them like, where you should put your misguided white priviliged guilt into play.
    Or he just wants to change Billy's codename (and possibly Teddy's too) because the current one is not just inaccurate but not very memorable either.

Also the White Tiger exists in a japanese mythology.(Byakko)
    Minor quibble, the four cardinal creatures (White Tiger, Black Snake-Turtle, Blue/Green Dragon, and Red Phoenix; plus the mostly unknown fifth the middle Yellow Quilin) appeared in Chinese mythology first, and the concept was adopted by the Japanese, as well as Korea I believe. The culture of the Asia Pacific region is very amorphous overall, though most stories have roots in China first and then spread to the other countries. The story of the 8 Dog Soldiers for example, was written by a Japanese literary writer into a story about warrior values mostly, but its roots are from the origin myth of Pan Hu the Dog God/King, the progenitor of a particular ethnic group of people in Southern China.

I use the Japanese name for the White Tiger, but his Chinese name is Bai Hu. I'm Southeast Asian myself, so I've experienced the amorphous nature of Chinese folk religion all my life (it's interesting to see how the worship of particular deities have changed from the mainland). We even adopt other religions or culture's gods because a god's a god. If you go to Waterloo street in Singapore, there's a temple to the Hindu god Hanuman right next to the temple of the Chinese deity Guan Yin. And most of the Chinese worshiping her go to pray to Hanuman as well, we're not picky.

It's partially why I don't get the whole craziness over 'cultural appropriation'. Feels like my people would be accused of doing that to the mainland Chinese considering how the customs changed (and that's not even getting into how some old traditions only exist outside mainland China post-communism).

Meh, I'm getting off-tangent.
    Last edited by Byakko; 11-16-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Or maybe Ewing did do some research, and found Wiccan has a more mixed reaction than your own anecdotal evidence suggests. Or maybe it has nothing to do with "white guilt" and Ewing just finds the name misleading, and wanted to change it for that reason. Maybe, instead of making assumptions about Ewing's motivations, you should actually ask him? Or, hell, for all we know, he's actually going a completely different direction and he'll end up keeping the Wiccan codename.

Regardless, the point is that you're throwing around accusations without actually having a damned thing to back them up, and maybe that's something you shouldn't do.

As for White Tiger and Power Man, now you're just being ridiculous. Yeah, quite a few cultures have stories about white tigers. But the name has nothing to do with any particular culture. And Power Man having originally been the name of a white villain means nothing. Again, the name has nothing to do with any particular culture. They're fairly typical superhero names, ultimately. White Tiger isn't that different from Black Widow. Power Man isn't that different from Mr. Fantastic.