Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    And Iron Man's suit hasn't been made of actual Iron in decades, Falcon is not a military ranked captain, Cyclops has two eyes and blasts out an X... many, many codenames are just that: cool codenames. It's about branding, not accurate reality. White Tiger isn't a tiger, Hawkeye isn't a bird, Melissa Gold can't sing, Sunspot has zero acne.
    You take that back. Melissa Gold sings like Amy Winehouse

And Iron Man's suit hasn't been made of actual Iron in decades, Captain America (Falcon) is not a military ranked captain to my knowledge, Cyclops has two eyes and blasts out an X... many, many codenames are just that: cool codenames. It's about branding, not accurate reality. White Tiger isn't a tiger, Hawkeye isn't a bird, Melissa Gold can't sing, Sunspot has zero acne.
    The difference is that none of those are belief systems. Wicca is. "Wiccan" is a term that refers specifically to one who practices Wicca.

I'm fine with the name. I have no strong feelings on it one way or the other. But I can certainly see why other people would object to it. Not even for reasons of appropriation, but just for reasons of semantics.

And Iron Man's suit hasn't been made of actual Iron in decades, Captain America (Falcon) is not a military ranked captain to my knowledge, Cyclops has two eyes and blasts out an X... many, many codenames are just that: cool codenames. It's about branding, not accurate reality.
    Umm... Wiccan is a massive brandname now? Sistah plz!

If they want to change his codename again, the time is now when it is still not late and the character has hardly been featured in other media.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The difference is that none of those are belief systems. Wicca is. "Wiccan" is a term that refers specifically to one who practices Wicca.

I'm fine with the name. I have no strong feelings on it one way or the other. But I can certainly see why other people would object to it. Not even for reasons of appropriation, but just for reasons of semantics.
    Yeah, if they do have plans to push Billy (and Teddy) in a big way across all media, they would want to avoid misconceptions, confusions and offending real-life people when the character becomes more prominent in pop-culture. It's not just a "PC" decision, it is also a smart corporate decision.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I couldn't help making "urine" associations to him being called "Wiz".

Or the Michael Jackson Wizard of Oz adaptation. heh.
    His granddads name was the Wizz

BANNED

Never liked the "Wiccan" codename, nor "Hulkling" (personal flavor). Adore the characters, though!

Is Wicca even an organized practice? Went through a phase (albeit misinformed) where I thought I should be practicing as such, but felt there were...too many different ways to go (if that makes sense).
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 11-16-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Never liked the "Wiccan" codename, nor "Hulkling" (personal flavor). Adore the characters, though!

Is Wicca even an organized practice? Went through a phase (albeit misinformed) where I thought I should be practicing as such, but felt there were...too many different ways to go (if that makes sense).
    There are different sects of Wicca I believe, so the practices may differ.

Oh, and something that should have occurred to me much earlier. Marvel cannot actually copyright the term "Wiccan".

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There are different sects of Wicca I believe, so the practices may differ.

Oh, and something that should have occurred to me much earlier. Marvel cannot actually copyright the term "Wiccan".
    Neither can they copyright "Thor", "Hercules", "Loki", "Ares" or "Miss America", and they keep using them. I don't think the name change has anything to do with copyright, but rather with realizing the name it is kinda dumb to have Jew superhero use another religion as condename. It's as if a Catholic superhero used the superhero name "Mormon".

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Neither can they copyright "Thor", "Hercules", "Loki", "Ares" or "Miss America", and they keep using them. I don't think the name change has anything to do with copyright, but rather with realizing the name it is kinda dumb to have Jew superhero use another religion as condename. It's as if a Catholic superhero used the superhero name "Mormon".
    All of those codenames are old. Like really old when Marvel/Timely probably didn't estimate what gigantic IPs these characters could become. It's telling that Marvel prefers the full "Miss America Chavez" shebang to just "Miss America" now. The other heroes have existed for decades and established enough that Marvel need not bother with copyright issues now (Except for Ares who like, nobody particularly cares for). Of course "Wiccan" as a superhero codename for a non-Wicca practising character is dumb, but the copyright angle is probably playing just as big a role behind this decision too, if not bigger.

Of course, that isn't going to stop people from screaming "white guilt" any.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    All of those codenames are old. Like really old when Marvel/Timely probably didn't estimate what gigantic IPs these characters could become. It's telling that Marvel prefers the full "Miss America Chavez" shebang to just "Miss America" now. The other heroes have existed for decades and established enough that Marvel need not bother with copyright issues now (Except for Ares who like, nobody particularly cares for). Of course "Wiccan" as a superhero codename for a non-Wicca practising character is dumb, but the copyright angle is probably playing just as big a role behind this decision too, if not bigger.

Of course, that isn't going to stop people from screaming "white guilt" any.
    Not to mention that they COULD NEVER claim those names for themselves. You can't copyright the name of an old mythological figure, and if they tried to copyright "Miss America" they could to take it from Donald Trump's hands.

I don't know why you people are talking about codenames when this issue had Kree-Skrull Hybrid Knights of the Round Table In Space.

Seriously, you guys.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Has Hawkeye really been with SHIELD for years? I get movie synergy and all that, but I don't think he's really been an agent for them for that long even taking the sliding timescale into account .

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Has Hawkeye really been with SHIELD for years?.
    Yeah, no he has not.

Teddy isn't going to be Captain Marvel, but maybe something like Marvel Guy? Or any of the thousands codenames that can be created with the Marvel word? :P
    About Wiccan, I(obviously) like the name and don't really see any problem with religion, this is the kinda of thing no one ever cared but when someone says everyone just decides to make a big deal about it. About branding I thought about Scarlet Wiccan but he's not really...scarlet like Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Has Hawkeye really been with SHIELD for years? I get movie synergy and all that, but I don't think he's really been an agent for them for that long even taking the sliding timescale into account .
    Probably 2 or 3 yrs at most