Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Boss:

image.jpg

EDIT: My first attempt at posting an image... Fail...

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Like "puta" for She-Hulk?
    Woah! That's a harsh pet name here, Jennifer must have gone "puta" after this one.
    For those that don't know, in spanish & portuguese "puta" translates to "slut" or "whore" in english, but can also mean ( as an adjective instead of a noum) that she's someone who's being super bitchy an pissed-off (at least in portuguese slang).

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    I am hoping the rumors of her getting an ongoing are true. I mean, she seems popular enough and well, how many LGBT characters can you name getting their own ongoing?
    I'd love a Miss America solo. She'd be a great character to do it with. Aside from the diversity points, she's got a lot going for her. She's powerful enough to give her serious threats to face. Her dimension-hopping sets up tons of story possibilities. There's a lot of potential for a Miss America solo. I don't know how likely it is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    SO, I keep seeing MAC come up, and aside from A-Force and a few issues of young avnegers (wasn't a fan), could someone give me a rundown of who she is? All I know is she can punch holes through reality (uhhhh what?) and she's is from another dimenions (UHHH. WHAT?) but I'd love to know more about her.
    OK. So. Just as a warning: Miss America's story might even make Rachel Summers look straightforward.

So, she comes from a utopian world of magic, created by Wiccan in the future after he becomes the Demiurge. Her world is populated by women, and they're all princesses. Her moms were her world's greatest superheroes, and gave their lives protecting their world and sealing it off from the common multiverse. America decided she couldn't do anything for a world that was always perfect, so she jumped through a tear in existence before it could close, and landed in a normal world. (We don't know exactly which reality, but 616 seems like a safe guess.) That was 10 years ago, and she's spent the past decade protecting the world from cosmic and multiversal threats.

She's cynical, abrasive and closed-off. She's immensely strong. She can open small portals to other worlds by kicking through reality, and she closes those holes with good thoughts. She can also punch a singularity in the face, because she can ignore some laws of physics when she feels like it.

She first appeared in a mini-series called Vengeance, by Joe Casey, where she was part of a group called the Teen Brigade. She was the team's powerhouse, the one who hit things really hard while others handled subtler stuff. She was given no backstory there. Then in Young Avengers, the Gillen/McKelvie run, in the second-last issue, she was given the backstory. There were plenty of moments throughout the series that showed there was a lot more to her than it seemed. (It also showed that she's not big on pop culture, as a Game of Thrones reference went over her head.)

And now she's in Ultimates.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Is that real? Are those real rumors? Because yes please. I'd love to see GW Wilson write that.
    Well at one point Bleeding Cool mentioned such a rumor. They were right about X-23 becoming the new Wolverine so I'd like to hope they are right about Miss America getting her solo series.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yay! Glad to see MAC finally has an appreciation thread.

Count me in as a fan of her appearances in Vengeance, too. Though Dragotta's art wasn't the best, her personality really stood out in that book.

If there's one thing I want Ewing to do with America in Ultimates, it's to clarify her Latina background. Casey and Dragotta clearly intended for the new Ms. America to be Latina as a commentary on who Americans are. Gillen kind of muddied that up a bit when he did that Wonder Woman shout-out with her origin (which conveniently was all about Billy, just like every other part of Gillen's Young Avengers ...). I think it's important that MAC is the type of person who self-identifies as Latin-American, which implies the sort of non-European ancestry that her skin color shows. Maybe they can tie that into the Billy-World she grew up in? I also think it would be cool if she was raised by a Latin@ foster family in New York after she left her homeworld. It might help explain why she feels so tied to the 616/Main Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    Well at one point Bleeding Cool mentioned such a rumor. They were right about X-23 becoming the new Wolverine so I'd like to hope they are right about Miss America getting her solo series.
    Of course, Laura as Wolverine was a pretty safe bet.

Bleeding Cool reports a lot of rumours that never end up happening. (They never admit when they get something wrong, of course, because they're always too busy patting themselves on the back for anything they get right.) Honestly, I've always figured the Miss America solo rumour fell into that category. In fact, it's also possible that what their anonymous source was talking about was America in the Ultimates, but it was vague enough that Johnson just misinterpreted it.

BANNED

Fellow poster Emma's Midriff suggested that MAC's theme song should be Demi Lovato's "Confident".

The more I hear it (catchy tune, but gosh the radio over plays it!), the more I can see that song being on MAC's playlist while she simultaneously fixes dimensional rifts and tries to catch up on modern pop culture.

What else is on her play list?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Of course, Laura as Wolverine was a pretty safe bet.

Bleeding Cool reports a lot of rumours that never end up happening. (They never admit when they get something wrong, of course, because they're always too busy patting themselves on the back for anything they get right.) Honestly, I've always figured the Miss America solo rumour fell into that category. In fact, it's also possible that what their anonymous source was talking about was America in the Ultimates, but it was vague enough that Johnson just misinterpreted it.
    Of course we do, what are you talking about?

At the time we wrote it, it certainly wasn't a safe bet. There wasn't any suggestion there would be a new Wolverine - and indeed we said that Sabretooth would take the role first which he did in Axis. But we had a good source.

Same with Miss America. But things change, it could well have been the book that was renamed and rejigged to become The Ultimates. That's happened before as well.

BANNED

Apparently the newest batch of teasers/promotional pieces Marvel has released are hinting at characters that will have prominence in books going forward.

What are your hopes for Ms. America Chavez?

I'd like a solo, although those don't always have the best track records. America needs room to grow as a character; a writer who can explore more of who she is, and why she continues to fight in a world that's not necessarily hers.

Potential solo or not (icing on the cake, really), I'd still like her to be part of some sort of team. A "Young Avengers redux" might be okay, but I'd rather see her keep her progression from "young" teams (Teen Brigade --> YA) to "adult" teams (Ultimates, although she hasn't been given much to do there [which needs to change as well]).

Being on a team, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop, who also appears in the promotional pieces)) needs to be with Chavez, as well! I like how writers make them play off of each other, even though I'm not a huge fan of Kate's.

I hope some very cool things are planned for MAC. I've been largely disappointed with her appearances in the Ultimates, but glad that she's played a part at least.

As a side note: I have been working on completing my MAC collection, collecting nearly every comic book appearance she has made (no matter how small). I'm just 8 books shy now. Here's hoping a push for prominence can lead to some non-comic book merchandise!

I really, desperately hope this teaser is indicating a solo title for her. She needs one. She is such an obvious character for a solo. She's got a small but vocal fanbase, who would work hard to sell her solo to other people. She's popular among comic creators, so Marvel would damned near have their pick of creators to attach. Get Jeremy Whitley as writer, and I'm sure a lot of his Princeless readers would follow him over. (Though Marguerite Bennett will always be my top choice for writer for a MAC solo.)

It's crazy that Marvel hasn't announced it yet.

BANNED

Well, I kinda/sorta got one of my wishes granted today!

Today's Civil War 2: Choosing Sides #2 has a nice side-story involving MAC and Kate, and MAC came away with some good development I have been looking for. Her inner monologue touches on some nice personality quirks (she doesn't like to share her feelings, but seems to find ways other than talking [and punching] to express them) and we learn a bit about why she keeps coming back to Earth-616 (something I specifically mentioned in my previous post).

It was a cute little story, and yet feels like so much more substance-wise than we have seen in the Ultimates (aside from exploring the limits of her powers).

#TeamAmericaFTW

SO sensational!
    Sorry Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Yay! Glad to see MAC finally has an appreciation thread.

Count me in as a fan of her appearances in Vengeance, too. Though Dragotta's art wasn't the best, her personality really stood out in that book.

If there's one thing I want Ewing to do with America in Ultimates, it's to clarify her Latina background. Casey and Dragotta clearly intended for the new Ms. America to be Latina as a commentary on who Americans are. Gillen kind of muddied that up a bit when he did that Wonder Woman shout-out with her origin (which conveniently was all about Billy, just like every other part of Gillen's Young Avengers ...). I think it's important that MAC is the type of person who self-identifies as Latin-American, which implies the sort of non-European ancestry that her skin color shows. Maybe they can tie that into the Billy-World she grew up in? I also think it would be cool if she was raised by a Latin@ foster family in New York after she left her homeworld. It might help explain why she feels so tied to the 616/Main Marvel Universe.
    Word, I was thinking about this today. She needs to have some clarity (and pride) with her Latin background not for it to be glazed over. This is my opinion where many of the white writers seem to have a hard time understanding. It's obvious she his brown (look at the new solicits) but she needs to have that pride that is very prominent in Latin communities. Also, I thought she was bi not lesbian (not that it is a big deal).

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    #TeamAmericaFTW

SO sensational!
    Sorry Carol.

LOL I love these images. I love how Carol got beat with the chair and the table. MAC is a great character. Its funny how T'Challa is in the back just observing.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

LOL I love these images. I love how Carol got beat with the chair and the table. MAC is a great character. Its funny how T'Challa is in the back just observing.
    Wack A Mole style.
    Wack A Carol.

Its truly sensational.