Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Oh

Em

Gee

This is so perfect. I can't wait! America is such a great character

BANNED

Finally, some news (thanks for the heads up, Fokken)!

I'm really excited about the artist. I think someone had brought his name up as a potential pick in another thread, and I quite agreed when I looked at some samples of his work. I have three requirements: 1. "good" art (seems to be fulfilled, thankfully) 2. "weird" art! Chavez traverses the multi-verse; don't make everything look the same! 3. MAC wears the stars and stripes in style; keep her look fresh, varied, and, most of all, Red White & Blue.

Onto the interview: I'm not sold on the "college" idea yet, but it would seem like Gabby is using it as a catalyst to explore MAC's character more in depth than we've seen, which I have been BEGGING for! So if it works out to aid that, I'm all for it! I'm a cautiously optimistic about a new-to-writing-comics-writer as I think that transition can hurt sometimes (not just quality, but deadlines and whatnot), but there's always the pleasant surprise that happens every so often! I will remain hopeful and optimistic that Gabby can deliver something fun and fresh with a whole lot of "quirkiness".

I'm very glad we received some news today, but March seems so far off now.

so will she have a rogues' gallery? what will be the challenges/adventures explored?

BANNED

Beautiful:

BANNED

Storm mentoring Chavez...what are your thoughts?

I feel as if a large, and extremely humorous, oppurtunity would be missed if they didn't bump heads a few times.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Good luck to her. Hope the book does well. As for whether or not I pick it up that'll depend on my financial situation at the time but I'd certainly try it if I can afford to do so.

Here's hoping that as America's popularity rises like a STAR...so too will her merchandise (and those of her support/guest cast)!

BANNED

Loving that MAC figure, and they all look part of a complete set (the Kate one was officially produced, correct?).

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Storm mentoring Chavez...what are your thoughts?

I feel as if a large, and extremely humorous, oppurtunity would be missed if they didn't bump heads a few times.
    Nah. I'm not sold on America really needing a mentor at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Nah. I'm not sold on America really needing a mentor at all.
    No one said she needed one. That could be part of the fun of it all.

MAC is independent. She's also experienced and powerful, but that doesn't mean she always was. And as experienced and powerful as she is, I'd hate to think that there's nothing she can learn from anyone, especially from top-tier super-heroic talent from the MU. There's a slew of possible reasons MAC could be working with Storm (or whoever shows up). And it's possible "mentor" was the wrong word choice (it wasn't specifically used in the interview).

I get your concern, though, and I share in it a bit myself. I remain hopeful, but there's always that little bit of doubt ("Will Gabby get the character 'right'?"). A lot of my doubt comes from learning about Gabby's unfamiliarity with 1) the industry and 2) the character herself. But if we're being realistic, we were likely faced with that scenario no matter who they hired to write the title (they were likely looking for someone with a voice similar to Gabby's).

I'm happy to give Gabby and "America" a chance, even if right now I'm slightly uneasy with a few aspects. The art is a sure-fire hit for me; here's hoping the rest of it will be as good/better!

Loving that MAC figure, and they all look part of a complete set (the Kate one was officially produced, correct?).
    You are correct. And thank you.

I just hope Ultimates is not ignored. From the interview it looked like she only read Young Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I just hope Ultimates is not ignored. From the interview it looked like she only read Young Avengers.
    Ultimates didn't do much in the way of advancing America, though. Sure it gave her a few awesome power displays, but aside from giving her Lisa as a girlfriend and furthering the mystery of just what exactly her powers are (which are both nice touches, don't get me wrong), Ultimates has largely been a letdown (for me) concerning what I want for MAC.

That said, however, I do feel as if the Ultimates was faithful to MAC's character; Ewing did a nice job picking up after Gillen.

But the powers-thing is going to be written about. And the lesbian identity is definitely doing to be written about. I don't see any other details from the Ultimates that need to be touched upon.

ALL continuity is valuable to furthering character and if Marvel are the smarties I HOPE them to be they will encourage that kind of research aND faithfulness that scribes like Ewing value and strive for honoring the or respective audiences

Ultimates didn't do much in the way of advancing America, though. Sure it gave her a few awesome power displays, but aside from giving her Lisa as a girlfriend and furthering the mystery of just what exactly her powers are (which are both nice touches, don't get me wrong), Ultimates has largely been a letdown (for me) concerning what I want for MAC.

That said, however, I do feel as if the Ultimates was faithful to MAC's character; Ewing did a nice job picking up after Gillen.

But the powers-thing is going to be written about. And the lesbian identity is definitely doing to be written about. I don't see any other details from the Ultimates that need to be touched upon.
    Tbh I just really meant that I like Lisa and I don't want her to just totally vanish.