All-New Member

Default Should DC Focus on Establishing Families for JL Members in New 52 ?

Do you guys think DC should take the initiative to establish relationships with pre existing characters in their respective families? For instance should characters like Wondergirl and Superboy be given more of a connection to their "mentors". Also do you think heroes without a large supporting cast be given more allies ? For instance Gotham has plenty of heroes that Batman calls allies but why not Central city ? i think it would be interesting to give flash an ally especially if they didn't have a super speed power set.

Thoughts?

Well seeing as Didio hates everything legacy I doubt we'll be getting any families or connections.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Greggh_101 View Post
    Do you guys think DC should take the initiative to establish relationships with pre existing characters in their respective families? For instance should characters like Wondergirl and Superboy be given more of a connection to their "mentors". Also do you think heroes without a large supporting cast be given more allies ? For instance Gotham has plenty of heroes that Batman calls allies but why not Central city ? i think it would be interesting to give flash an ally especially if they didn't have a super speed power set.

Thoughts?
    No . . . they'd just be killed off, maimed, or turned evil / psychotic anyway.

BANNED

I'm going to go with "no", that they need to focus on the characters they have in some cases, and in other cases where the other characters exist already, it's a little weird to think that they would all just get along all the time. I think for trademark purposes, you have to have a "Superboy" or a "Supergirl", but I don't necessarily think they all have to be buddies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No . . . they'd just be killed off, maimed, or turned evil / psychotic anyway.
    Sadly, this.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I've always noticed that the related characters that have more direct connections to the character they are spun off from tend to do better then the ones with more tentative connections. Supergirl is more popular then Superboy for example. I think some main characters would actually benefit from having more of a connection to their satellite characters. It's not like Wonder woman has this over abundance of supporting cast members that's going to be down played if Wondergirl is used more in the book.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-12-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I've always noticed that the related characters that have more direct connections to the character they are spun off from tend to do better then the ones with more tentative connections. Supergirl is more popular then Superboy for example. I think some main characters would actually benefit from having more of a connection to their satellite characters. It's not like Wonder woman has this over abundance of supporting cast members that's going to be down played if Wondergirl is used more in the book.
    I imagine thats mainly because Superman fans see Superboy as "less important" while others just see another version of Superman, if wanted Superman they'd be reading Superman. So he ends up losing sales from both groups.

Thoughts?
    Well Wonder Woman has a bigger family than ever now that Zeus is her pap. Aquaman has Vulko and Tula who were dead pre-52 are now living supporting characters. Garth is referred to and I still expect Kaldur to be introduced eventually. Steve Trevr has a sister and nephew now, he had no siblings prior IIRC. Guy Gardner has two siblings and a father as well in the New 52 era.

All-New Member

i meant more along the lines of their superhere family. Like how superman has Steel, Supergirl and Superboy, or how Batman has the Bat-family. Young Justce did a great job of showing the connection between the various superhero-sidekick pairings. Right now it feels like the younger heros are completely seperate from the older heroes which i think is one of the many reasons the young justice line has failed in the New 52

Lemire is building quite a big family for Green Arrow. I really like where he is taking the book. My only beef is the use of the name "Outsiders".

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Lemire is building quite a big family for Green Arrow. I really like where he is taking the book. My only beef is the use of the name "Outsiders".
    I agree. I'm kindof suprised they decided to use Outsiders considering it actually had little ot no ties to the Outsiders pre New 52. Establishing a larger arrow family and expanding his mythos has really helped carve out Green arrow's corner of the DCU

BANNED

I agree. I'm kindof suprised they decided to use Outsiders considering it actually had little ot no ties to the Outsiders pre New 52. Establishing a larger arrow family and expanding his mythos has really helped carve out Green arrow's corner of the DCU
    I tend to assume that when they use names out of left field like that, it's because they want to protect the trademark but they don't have any intention of using it in the more traditional manner any time soon.