Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default Your top 5 favorite games of all time

Title speaks for itself, what's your top 5? Mine is the following:

1. Super Smash Bros Melee
    The ultimate game. Fun to just play, a great party game and a great game to invest time into. It doesn't matter how seriously you play this game, it's fun either way.
    2. Batman Arkham City
    My favorite Arkham game tops. Great story, great gameplay and good replay value.
    3. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
    Simple gameplay at it's absolute best. An absolute joy to play and replay.
    4 Pokemon Emerald
    I've been a Pokemon fan all my life but this my favorite, can't really specify why.
    5 Fifa
    Okay, I know, blasphemy but I play way too much Fifa for me to leave it out of a list like this.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

Hmmm...

Mass Effect trilogy (or ME 2 if I have to pick one).
    Silent Hill 2
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Tetris, Gameboy version
    Streetfighter IV

Incredible Member

1. Metroid Prime - easily my favorite game of all time. Nothing will ever beat it for me. It was the perfect game at the perfect time.
    2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    3. The Last of Us
    4. Super Metroid
    5. Uncharted 2: Drake's Fortune

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    1. Metroid Prime - easily my favorite game of all time. Nothing will ever beat it for me. It was the perfect game at the perfect time.
    2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    3. The Last of Us
    4. Super Metroid
    5. Uncharted 2: Drake's Fortune
    Interesting, I only played Super Metroid of all the Metroid games so maybe I should give Prime a shot. Made a bid on an used copy just now. If I don't like it I'll blame you
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

• Fallout 2 - One of the best RPGs ever made, and it gives you tons of ways to mess and just do whatever.
    • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - It's probably the best RPG ever made, it's just too bad it doesn't quite have all the presentation of the Fallout games; gone are things like the talking heads and the description window in the UI that added all kinds of flavour.
    • Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - Wasn't sure if I should pick this or the third game, but I'm going with the second because I like it's overall aesthetic more.
    • Street Fighter 3 Third Strike - It's one of the best fighting game ever made...and weirdly still one of the best looking.
    • Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Beside being the best 4X game ever made, and it's looking like that isn't going to change, it's also maybe the best example of the kind of storytelling video games can do that other media really can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Hmmm...

Mass Effect trilogy (or ME 2 if I have to pick one).
    Silent Hill 2
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Tetris, Gameboy version
    Streetfighter IV
    Why? You've got a third rated third person shooter series, a terrible first person shooter/action game (and the worst Elder Scrolls game...which is also a step down from the game they developed before it), and the worst Street Fighter game outside of the first one. Not that SF4 is bad, but it's no Alpha 3, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, or Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Tetris though, that's probably the best pure video game that's ever been made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Why? You've got a third rated third person shooter series, a terrible first person shooter/action game
    I consider it a roleplaying game with some added on shooter mechanics.

and the worst Elder Scrolls game...which is also a step down from the game they developed before it
    It's the Elder Scrolls game that finally ditched the backwards levelling mechanic.

the worst Street Fighter game outside of the first one. Not that SF4 is bad, but it's no Alpha 3, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, or Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
    Any SF2 is seriously showing its age, never really liked any SF3 or Alpha or whatever. Ugly character designs.

And I really love the "oh crap, this is going to hurt" look characters get when they're about to be hit by an uber-move.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I consider it a roleplaying game with some added on shooter mechanics.
    The first game is the most RPG they ever got, and they were pretty light on that then. They shifted focus to third person shooter in a big way with the second game, which given what they were going for was probably for the best...but from a gameplay standpoint they're pretty garbage (and I've really no idea why they went third person cover shooter when they clearly want crazy action). I'm not really sure how anyone could play Mass Effect 2, and come way not thinking it's primarily a third person cover based shooter. Third person shooting is what your doing in every mission you're going on, (besides, maybe, like one or two) it's the drive of the whole game.

It's the Elder Scrolls game that finally ditched the backwards levelling mechanic.
    You mean it's RPG system? Yeah, it is. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the gameplay is too crappy for what it is. It was too crappy back when they were action RPGs, now that it's a just straight action game it's inexcusable. It also doesn't do any of the many things it sets out to do in even a half decent way.

Any SF2 is seriously showing its age, never really liked any SF3 or Alpha or whatever. Ugly character designs.
    This is all crazy talk, especially the design bit. SF4 has the worst character designs of any Street Fighter game...any of them. It's also visually the worst looking Capcom SF, yes, even the sprites from the original Street Fighter are nicer to look at. The worst new character (or design) in a Alpha or SF3 is probably better than the best new one in SF4.

Immortal Cobra-La Member Nemesis Enforcer's Avatar

1. Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. E.V.O. Search for Eden
    4. Super Mario Bros. 3
    5. Wing Commander 2
    SHSO: Indescribable Count Watcher - 4400+
    Marvel Heroes: Scorpcookie

BANNED

1. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    2 X-men vs Streetfighter
    3. X-men Legends 2
    4. Left for Dead 2
    5. Naruto Shippuden. I forgot the number.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

In no particular order:

Grandia 2, which is quite possibly my favorite RPG battle system of all time, combined with a fun spey and characters. The only things I'd really change are the spell names, and the fact that Ryudo becomes a generically pleasant messiah figure, rather than a snarky jerk who can't resist don't the right thing against his better judgement.

Terranigma, which is what would happen if the universe decided to destroy Link psychologucally over the course of millenia, and he still kicked everything's ass and save the day.

Phantasy Star 4, which I still think has the best story and characters of the big 3 16 bit RPGs of the era (though Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are both excellent contenders).

Tales of the Abyss. My favorite Tales game, bar none. Other than maybe some gameplay tweaks, the only change I'd really implement is a New Game+ route where Luke stays a jackass, calls out his party on how unfairly they are treating him, and brings the team back together by virtue of kicking everyone's butts so hard that their heads finally get dislodged from them.

Duodecim Final Fantasy Dissidia. There are other fighting games that are more fun (Power Stone 2, MvC2), have better crafting (PS2) have better stories, etc... but Dissidia places highly in all those categories to me and let's me beat up Sephiroth with Zidane and caused me to ship a genderless cosmic force of nothingness with a bumbling romantic who is the time-displaced dad of a super stoic swordsman.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-17-2015 at 06:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    The first game is the most RPG they ever got, and they were pretty light on that then. They shifted focus to third person shooter in a big way with the second game, which given what they were going for was probably for the best...but from a gameplay standpoint they're pretty garbage (and I've really no idea why they went third person cover shooter when they clearly want crazy action). I'm not really sure how anyone could play Mass Effect 2, and come way not thinking it's primarily a third person cover based shooter. Third person shooting is what your doing in every mission you're going on, (besides, maybe, like one or two) it's the drive of the whole game.
    You and I have very different ideas about what is and isn't an RPG.
    Fiddling with menus and stats doesn't necessarily enter into it for me.

But the old Elder Scrolls system was ridonculous and counter-intiuitive.
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

Say you're new to the game and you want to play a sneaky thief/assassin type... So when asked to pick major skills you go for stuff like Archery, Stealth, Mockpicking, Light Armour, right?
    Wrong, you do that, and you'll soon find the entire world be massively overpowering you because in Elder Scrolls you should never ever make the skills you intend to use into major skills. And Skyrim finally got rid of all that bookkeeping while leveling.

This is all crazy talk, especially the design bit. SF4 has the worst character designs of any Street Fighter game...any of them. It's also visually the worst looking Capcom SF, yes, even the sprites from the original Street Fighter are nicer to look at. The worst new character (or design) in a Alpha or SF3 is probably better than the best new one in SF4.
    And now you're argueing that what you personally feel is prettier is also objectively prettier for everybody in the world.

Mighty Member

1) Rock Band 2: Oh, the hours I spent creating my own band and playing through World Tour on my way to acquiring 1 billion fans. Getting a gold star on my favorite songs of all time was a thrill no other game was ever matched. Also, Rock Band did the best job of the music games of portraying an actual rock show experience, with fantastic sets and brilliant use of lights and pyrotechnics in time to all of the songs. I enjoyed watching other people play almost as much as playing.

2) Mass Effect: This game reminded me so much of Babylon 5, which is my favorite Sci Fi show ever.

3) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: A game that can make me feel like I'm watching the original Star Wars for the first time again? Yeah, this game is awesome.

4) Fallout 3: I've been to many of the places in Washington DC that this game let me explore in the aftermath of nuclear war. Exploring someplace so familiar and yet so alien, with tons of critters and people who want to kill you, is actually pretty delightful. The game also lets you make some truly heroic and truly despicable choices. Honestly, does it get any worse than nuking a town? Oh, and Three Dog is a hoot. Also, how cool is it to fight alongside a giant robot that paraphrases Optimus Prime himself?

5) Skies of Arcadia: My favorite JRPG of all time. This world is amazing and wondrous. The story is fantastic. The ship to ship air combat is a thing of beauty. Being captain of my own air ship, recruiting crew, and unleashing my entire crew on some poor unsuspecting sap that didn't realize that when you mess with one Blue Rogue, you literally have to fight them all, is every bit as great as it seems.
    Last edited by Basara; 11-17-2015 at 04:32 AM.

In no particular order:

Half Life 2
    Silent Hill 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64

Runners Up:
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill 3
    Penumbra: Black Plague
    Dead Rising 2
    Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
    Life is Strange
    Fables: The Wolf Among Us
    Team Fortress 2
    Deadly Premonition

1- ME Trilogy
    2- Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed (guilty pleasure)
    3- Until Dawn (not sure if this qualifies as a game)
    4- Marvel Heroes 2015 (I'm so burnt out but I did spend like 2k hours on it so I think it deserves a spot)
    5- The Sims 3

RUNNER-UPS (in no order):

Walking Dead - Season 2
    Wii Party
    Fallout 4
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    The Last of Us
    Age of Mythology

1. Red Dead Redemption
    2. Borderlands
    3. Dungeon Defenders