Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Comic Book Industry - Collected vs Single Issues

I wanted to start a dedicated thread about how single issues and collected editions are changing within the industry. (Discussions in the 'general' thread are hard to follow and continue IMO).

Have collected editions affected your reading of single issues? I've reduced my reading of single issues to only event books. For everything else, either I can wait for the collected edition or download a single issue that's getting good reviews. In fact, the upcoming Multiversity may be the first event book that I don't even read in single issue format, since I'm pretty sure I'll be able to wait (and appreciate it more in complete form).

I thought about this after hearing a rant on Comic Geek Speak (I'm not a member, so I'm not trying to plug it). A comic book shop-owner was talking about his frustration towards the industry's inflated single-issue prices, and how he doesn't think there's going to be much more room in his store for new single-issues in the future due to the decrease in purchases.

Because of better value for money and profit margins, could the collected edition usher in a new era for comic books in print form, wherein we could see comic books slowly make their way back to more mainstream outlets like supermarkets, or slowly take up bigger displays at bookstores? Your thoughts.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

I follow a small selection of series in Single Issue format, but I am always ready to drop them when they stop entertaining me or never get to the point. I dislike the majority of single issues because I feel like a story is rarely ever told in an issue anymore. And why not wait to have a beginning, middle and end? Also, what if the whole run/story/whatever ends up being lackluster? then there's the cost. I just got Cyberforce Rebirth Volume 1 for 10 bucks. Had I gotten it in singles at 2.99 or 3.99, it would have been more expensive.

I think waiting for word/views on a run as well as waiting for a complete story AND saving money are all valid purchasing choices.

I also prefer to read most things in OHC format, which is the only format I am willing to pay premium prices for.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

I rarely buy singles anymore. Canucked has told exactly why I switched to trades.

I really believe that the high cost of single issues is really hurting the industry in the long run. Right now I only pick up single issues of titles that I absolutely love and don't have much patience in riding it out if I don't enjoy it. I trimmed the fat on my monthly pull list consistently to make way for new titles that I find interesting in previews. This wouldn't have happen in the past when I first started collecting as I would just buy any title I find moderately interesting. If something doesn't wow me nowadays, I'll just wait for a collected edition.

Interesting what you posted about the talk you had with a comic shop owner's frustration with the industry's inflated single issue prices and how it hurts his store. I believe it because if people are not trying out new titles, then pretty soon they'll just be buying collected editions and might even stop going to the comic shop entirely. We're kinda seeing that already.

We have a lot of mom and pop's book stores in my area closing up shop due to online retailers like Amazon and giant chain bookstores like Chapters here in Canada. I loved going to bookstores as a kid and I could never imagine one day that bookstores will disappear. I'm starting to see that right now.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I really believe that the high cost of single issues is really hurting the industry in the long run. Right now I only pick up single issues of titles that I absolutely love and don't have much patience in riding it out if I don't enjoy it. I trimmed the fat on my monthly pull list consistently to make way for new titles that I find interesting in previews. This wouldn't have happen in the past when I first started collecting as I would just buy any title I find moderately interesting. If something doesn't wow me nowadays, I'll just wait for a collected edition.

Interesting what you posted about the talk you had with a comic shop owner's frustration with the industry's inflated single issue prices and how it hurts his store. I believe it because if people are not trying out new titles, then pretty soon they'll just be buying collected editions and might even stop going to the comic shop entirely. We're kinda seeing that already.

We have a lot of mom and pop's book stores in my area closing up shop due to online retailers like Amazon and giant chain bookstores like Chapters here in Canada. I loved going to bookstores as a kid and I could never imagine one day that bookstores will disappear. I'm starting to see that right now.
    I don't think the internet will ever entirely erase a chain store. Maybe downsize them, but not erase completely. Even if bookstores are more expensive than Amazon, there's always the benefit of walking out with what you just bought in your hands. In America, maybe that's not such an issue since Americans only have to wait a day or two for an online purchase, but for us international folks, we have to wait 2-3 weeks for our parcels. Sometimes I lose interest in what I've bought before it even reaches my mailbox! lol.

I wonder if we'll be seeing more original graphic novels in the coming months. I don't know how that last Avengers one turned out reception-wise. Still, I don't say that because I want to see the end of single issues.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I'll always buys singles, for starters, just to support to creative teams and characters I'm fond of. Secondly, just so I can keep up to date and partake in coversations on this fine site.

I have recently fallen in love with Marvels omniboo though. I think they are a far superior product and, as someone who would never go hunting for hundreds of back issues, helps me read comics I might otherwise not be able to.

I've never followed single issues, when I got into comics 5 years back tpbs where plentiful and digital wasn't up to much. It was only after buying several books online I found there was comic shop about 40 mins away, and with single issues costing $7nz or about half what a tpb cost from BD I never considered single issues an option.

I once bought a couple of single issues when I was on holiday, the New 52 Justice League #1 and Avengers #1. I was suprised how little you get and the ads that were in it, just not for me. TPBs are miles better, cheaper, less flimsy, more story etc.

One thing I have definitely seen change in the last 5 years is the bookstores/libraries carrying TPBs, I go into bookstores all the time and since the movies have exploded(around Avengers) now most of the bookstores carry a smattering of tpb comics. They never had any before, also local libraries and NZ based online stores have visibly beefed up their comic offerings. All of this is great, comics would barely be a blip on the radar for NZ, there's something like 5 comic shops in the whole country, so there's way more people being exposed to comics here. I assume this must also be happening in Aus, with similiar chain stores as here.

Whether these are selling, I don't know. The stock doesn't seem to be turning over in the bookstores I go to weekly. But at least it's there.

The only single issues I buy anymore are out of the $1 and $0.25 bins at the local used book store. The $3.99 pricetag for new issues is prohibitive, especially when you have to buy 6 issues nowadays to get a cohesive story. I almost exclusively buy hardcover collections of books discounted at 40% off or more since collected editions prices are almost as insane as singles.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    I wonder if we'll be seeing more original graphic novels in the coming months. I don't know how that last Avengers one turned out reception-wise. Still, I don't say that because I want to see the end of single issues.
    I wish they would do stories that were around the length of a 12 issue story arc around 300 pages, you could get a really nice story if writers didn't have to cram everything into a puny 120-160 page book. Also let us choose how we want to read it by releasing in digital, tpb and ohc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I wish they would do stories that were around the length of a 12 issue story arc around 300 pages, you could get a really nice story if writers didn't have to cram everything into a puny 120-160 page book. Also let us choose how we want to read it by releasing in digital, tpb and ohc.
    You mean you want them to turn a two-issue story into 12 issues instead of the usual 6?

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    I don't think the internet will ever entirely erase a chain store. Maybe downsize them, but not erase completely. Even if bookstores are more expensive than Amazon, there's always the benefit of walking out with what you just bought in your hands. In America, maybe that's not such an issue since Americans only have to wait a day or two for an online purchase, but for us international folks, we have to wait 2-3 weeks for our parcels. Sometimes I lose interest in what I've bought before it even reaches my mailbox! lol.

Can you post the link for which episode it was for comic geek speak where the comic shop owner was ranting about the high prices? This is a really interesting topic and I would like to hear a shop owner's point of view on this.

I think large chain book stores will still exist but comic shops in particular is such a niche that they will be hurt first. I'm surprised more people from the industry don't speak up more often about it. I think the inflated prices of single issues IS a really big deal. If someone only has a budget for so many books they can buy each month, it will deter them from trying out new series. I understand why someone would choose to trade wait (especially for those that don't live near a comic shop) but if enough of the rest are not supporting the creators and sales of the monthlies are paltry, we'll just see titles cancelled. That second volume that you're waiting for may never come out because that title was cancelled due to poor sales. I think the biggest issue that's hurting the industry is the prices of those monthlies.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    You mean you want them to turn a two-issue story into 12 issues instead of the usual 6?
    Say again?, I want stories that are designed, planned and scripted as 300 page stories. I also want them in graphic novel format which brings a lot of advantages over releasing as single issues, important to me is that they keep the same creative team together but also being one book gives the story a chance to flow much better from not being broken up into little chunks with creators having to insert artificial breaks in a story so they'll fit into 20 odd pages, as well as including a hook to get the reader to buy the next issue. Then of course there's no frustrating delays between issues!.

Small little graphic novels can be great reads, but I want a book that will last me longer than an hour, I think it would be great if the creators were allowed to make longer works instead of having to follow the graphic novel rule book that says all stories for the format can only be of a limited length.

My collection consists widely only of trades, and that's because I find it's just so much more convenient to pick up a trade that has issues #1-7 than hunting down each issue individually and paying $2.99-$3.99 each for them (assuming they haven't been inflated price-wise) when I can just pick up a trade for around $14.99 (most of the New 52 anyway, obviously longer stories cost more). Especially with older runs, this is much, much easier for me to just pick up the collected trade, and it also takes up less space on my shelf.

I am still picking up single issues, but mostly for new #1s coming out or short-run series that are only a few issues in the long run, like Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet, which is only seven issues and comes out each week. The new #1s I'm trying out are mostly just to get a feel for the series if I think it looks interesting or I've heard good things about it. That way, when the trade comes out, I can look back to the #1 I have and think, "Did I like this enough to buy the trade?" I find singles are a nice way to kind of dip your foot into the pool and see how the water feels before committing to putting in more money. If I was kind of iffy on a #1, I'll pick up the second issue and give it another shot to see how I feel before making up my mind.

For the most part, I largely prefer trades and collected editions. If you want the most bang for your buck, it's usually the best option-- not to mention the collected editions and trades usually have extras in the back like scripts, concept art, etc. But there's an undeniable charm about going to your local comic shop and finding the "just in" shelf and perusing it with other readers, stopping every now and then to scoop up that new issue you want...
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Spectacular Member

I still buy singles for select books. I prefer my books in trade or hardcover, but I still try to support the industry and my local retailer. Strangely though, I've moved away from the big titles that everyone else will buy. I support the small titles and independent books that need my cash. I recently gave up on a number of Dynamite titles because I wasn't enjoying them--you think it would be easy to dump books you don't like, but I like the idea of Dynamite existing and publishing books and was really torn by it. Ultimately comics aren't a charity, they are an entertainment, so if you don't enjoy the book it is time to move on. I buy no Marvel singles and my DC singles have dwindled from as many as 52 books a month, down to about fifteen. I am considering dumping all the Batman titles--because I ultimately buy them in hardcover.

What I really try to avoid are the double dips or god forbid, the triple dips. And now with certain absolutes, I have to reevaluate whether to do a triple dip on a format I absolutely love (heh!) or to let it go Frozen style.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Say again?, I want stories that are designed, planned and scripted as 300 page stories. I also want them in graphic novel format which brings a lot of advantages over releasing as single issues, important to me is that they keep the same creative team together but also being one book gives the story a chance to flow much better from not being broken up into little chunks with creators having to insert artificial breaks in a story so they'll fit into 20 odd pages, as well as including a hook to get the reader to buy the next issue. Then of course there's no frustrating delays between issues!.

Small little graphic novels can be great reads, but I want a book that will last me longer than an hour, I think it would be great if the creators were allowed to make longer works instead of having to follow the graphic novel rule book that says all stories for the format can only be of a limited length.
    I don't think the big two are interested in waiting for their creative teams to finish a 300-page story before putting it out to market--and creating a 300-page story isn't going to guarantee a better story. I can imagine the writer still writing 300 pages of fluff where 20-30 years ago he might have told the story in 3-4 22-page stories. We've got mostly a world of lazy writers who don't want to write too dense of a story and--judging from reader remarks here at CBR--a lot fans who haven't the attention span to read more than a dozen 6th-grade-level words per page before they lose interest in what the writer has written. From that alone, I'd guess the OGN isn't what most readers would prefer to buy and I'm thinking the big two would prefer to market their comics in as many saleable forms as possible and eliminating single issues would eliminate the way they pay for the creation of the original work before they turn around and resell it in multiple other formats. Although, a lot of us would prefer to read exclusively in collected edition format, if publishing OGNs was the rule, I imagine the big two would greatly increase the prices of their collections, which would eliminate a lot of the value of a collected edition in my eyes.