Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    There is also some weirdness going on in SHIELD #12 coming out next week, where Red somebody kills Odin, and Asgard declares war on Midgard, killing all the super heroes in the first attack. Is this all in continuity, in ANAD or is this before Secret Wars?
    If its #12 it must be pre-SW (else the numbering would have rebooted), but I don't see how any of that fits in with established continuity from Loki:AoA.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    There is also some weirdness going on in SHIELD #12 coming out next week, where Red somebody kills Odin, and Asgard declares war on Midgard, killing all the super heroes in the first attack. Is this all in continuity, in ANAD or is this before Secret Wars?
    That is a big question because SHIELD has totally ignored Secret Wars. But I believe there is a new volume comming so I suspect it will end before Secret Wars.

P.S. Looking at my tracker of what is comming up SHIELD dissapears after 12 and the earliest based on solicitations that a new volume could appear is March. Maybe it isn't comming back.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-20-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    If its #12 it must be pre-SW (else the numbering would have rebooted), but I don't see how any of that fits in with established continuity from Loki:AoA.
    Well I could equally suggest Al Ewing didn't exactly go out of his way to make things fit anyway, but as I am not as bothered by continuity issues as much as most, I will be kind and say I didn't much care for that volume and I am trying to forget all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well I could equally suggest Al Ewing didn't exactly go out of his way to make things fit anyway, but as I am not as bothered by continuity issues as much as most, I will be kind and say I didn't much care for that volume and I am trying to forget all about it.
    No I'm not personally much bothered, but I do find that when smaller books try to tackle earth/galaxy/universe-shattering events that everyone in the MU should know about but every other book ignores, it undermines the dramatic weight and sense of importance somewhat. It doesn't exclude it from being a good book, but it doesn't help.

No I'm not personally much bothered, but I do find that when smaller books try to tackle earth/galaxy/universe-shattering events that everyone in the MU should know about but every other book ignores, it undermines the dramatic weight and sense of importance somewhat. It doesn't exclude it from being a good book, but it doesn't help.
    I think we can trust the SHIELD book. The whole remit of that book so far has been to introduce TV viewers to the comic universe. So far they also used it to reasonable effect, heralding things like the Howling Commandos of SHIELD and reminding people about the soon to be finished Hickman volume of SHIELD. Anything they do there will probably be cannon.

Thinking about this, we havn't actually seen Odin yet. He could be absent.

Read the preview for SHIELD, and I dunno why people think this is actually happening. It's obviously not, I mean, they killed most of the top tier heroes. The guy who killed Odin was a time traveller, time travel stories rarely leave a lasting mark on the continuity, they will make it so he never kills Odin, and everything will be fine again.
    Last edited by Raye; 11-20-2015 at 07:42 AM.

One thing I will say - I'm a little dissapointed that Aaron seems to have dropped the thought bubbles now we are "inside" Jane's head. Perhaps he could use them for Odinson, when he reappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Read the preview for SHIELD, and I dunno why people think this is actually happening. It's obviously not, I mean, they killed most of the top tier heroes. The guy who killed Odin was a time traveller, time travel stories rarely leave a lasting mark on the continuity, they will make it so he never kills Odin, and everything will be fine again.
    Well I don't read previews anyway, but the possibility that Odin is absent and Cul Borson is running the show could be interesting.

He could very well be absent, him locking himself away is suspicious, but I am 99% certain it will have nothing whatsoever to do with SHIELD, is all.

One thing I will say - I'm a little dissapointed that Aaron seems to have dropped the thought bubbles now we are "inside" Jane's head. Perhaps he could use them for Odinson, when he reappears.
    Aaron seems to be using a form of direct but framed narration. That may suggest that the story will rely on things not being within Jane's experience and so outside of the narration frame (time to looks for clues about what she either doesn't know or what she is only partly understanding). Trying to do that with thought bubbles would be difficult because they are usually reactive to the moment, and not the primary form of narration.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-20-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Rereading parts of this I still get the feeling the story is a commentary on Donald Blake. There is a suggestion that if Jane's Cancer gets worse (and let's face it, this is quite progressed) Jane may find herself reluctant to change into her human form. The Blake personality from my perspective as a reader got sidelined, ignored and generally shuffled out of cannon, in favour of the Thor personality. The whole Blake isn't real thing for example.

Now we are back with a wish fulfilment style of super hero, but the threat of the Thor personality taking over again is framed as a bad thing. Each time it is present Jane potentially gets less healthy upon transforming back. When the narration talks about the cancer being a part of her, it is partly exposition to explain what cancer is, but it also feels like a commentary on how the Thor personality is a growing part of her. And, although it hasn't been stressed yet, it seems like a part that threatens to overtake her.

All-New Member

Okay, we're talking about Odin. I'm just saying. Odin is a little too trusting of Cul and a little too distrusting of everyone else. Odin's always been a dick but not a stupid crazy dick. I really think Cul is influencing him in some way, and it's interesting that all of Odin's ire is coming down on Thor who happened to be the one figure capable of stopping him last time. I really think that Cul is trying to rid himself of the obstacle that is Thor so that he can do his fear-lord thing all over again.

Well, I don't think Aaron would have brought back Cul without a reason, that's for sure. There was nothing about how Fear Itself ended that meant that when Loki sprung Odin from his vigil, Cul would come too. I mean, he was DEAD at the end of Fear Itself, it's still yet to be explained why he's even alive again.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Rereading parts of this I still get the feeling the story is a commentary on Donald Blake. There is a suggestion that if Jane's Cancer gets worse (and let's face it, this is quite progressed) Jane may find herself reluctant to change into her human form. The Blake personality from my perspective as a reader got sidelined, ignored and generally shuffled out of cannon, in favour of the Thor personality. The whole Blake isn't real thing for example.

Now we are back with a wish fulfilment style of super hero, but the threat of the Thor personality taking over again is framed as a bad thing. Each time it is present Jane potentially gets less healthy upon transforming back. When the narration talks about the cancer being a part of her, it is partly exposition to explain what cancer is, but it also feels like a commentary on how the Thor personality is a growing part of her. And, although it hasn't been stressed yet, it seems like a part that threatens to overtake her.
    That's an interesting thought. There're clearly reminders to the classics Thor stories having again the secret identity issue. Honestly I never really like the Donald Blake thing. Always felt it like an obstacle. But also I can't remember a lot of interesting stuff related to him, so if a writer wants to take the idea and tell something interesting with that I'll ok with that. Just please. No more confusion aboutif Blake is real or not.

Regards SHIELD. I haven't read it. Just the preview. But it looks like something that will be easily fixed by time travel, specially if it takes place before Secret WArs because it contradicts not just AoA but also the last Thor issue. Where everybody says Odin is alive, a bit crazy, but alive.

I still think Cul is there with a reason. But he wasn't in the huge cover and no word has been said about him in the interviews I read so it's a bit strange.