Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default So long folks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    While I am not sure I agree totally, Aaron has specifically set out to write a long story about that very nobleness, and early on took time to contrast three different eras of Thor's timeline to bring those ideas into focus. I suspect Aaron is writing about the nature of the apotheosis and how that can only be informed by the original humanity in the process. He is seeking to show Thor today as removed from his humanity, he has moved too far into the godly domain and although he protects Earth and still performs some of his earlier ritual functions on Earth, he is slightly detached from it.

Look at the first arc, it is about someone who seeks to destroy all gods, and unwittingly attains apotheosis through his actions. Then we move into a Malekith arc where he deliberately manipulates the way Thor handles diplomacy and demonstrates a weakness of the godlike hero. Then that weakness is explored in the context of Earth, by choosing an environmental rallying cry where Thor is ill equipped to do more than pick a side and hit things. That launches us into an arc where the new Thor is also a human. This is a gradual theme, politics is a human endeavour, leadership through divine right is a tricky thing to juggle and fraught with a dehumanising aspect that must be guarded against.

What exactly is the definition of a noble, if not a man who is granted his power over others by an extension of the divine right of kings. Nobility is a very tricky thing to pull off, it contains contradictions.

Thor for the modern world needs to be more human. This is why I suspect the arc is all an elaboration on the story of Blake.
    I guess its a generational thing, and I should shut up. There isn't much point to the conversation after I consider that.

You sell Aaron's story lines really well. But they don't come off to me like that when I read them.

It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    I guess its a generational thing, and I should shut up. There isn't much point to the conversation after I consider that.

You sell Aaron's story lines really well. But they don't come off to me like that when I read them.

It's all good.
    A constant problem with discussions like this is it is much easier to express oneself about things one likes and appreciates than it is to express a dislike. The first involves a passionate plea, the second necessarily involves a certain detachment. Conversely if one expresses a passionate dislike it can come across as negative and dismissive which isn't much fun to write unless one feels like venting.

If you feel like passionately expressing your appreciation for some of the older runs in a thread about them, I would be there in a flash. Maybe even a few notes about your favourite runs in the Thor appreciation thread.

For example, I should like the Jurgens run, because it specifically ties Thor to a human but so far I have found it difficult to get into. I like some of the sentiment of the Simonson material but probably need a highlights reel rather than just starting at the beginning and slogging through it because some of it feels off to me.

The Lee/Kirby/Bullpen stuff is so patchy it becomes a chore, it feels like they were still groping for the distinct nature of their Thor. I have found some golden material there but I would rather not read all the 'Odin reduces Thor's power for reasons' plots and 'Jane moons over Thor' stories. Life is too short. (Besides I already slogged my way through Scott et al moon over Jean and don't want an encore.)
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-27-2015 at 01:08 AM.