Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Things like face recognition, finger prints and anything dealing with national computer data bases takes way too little time on TV and movies.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

The artificial swagger walk that women do. It is soooo fake and cringey... It takes me right out of the movie.

Example at 0:03 here:

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have said it before but turn on the damned lights. I hate it when a cop or lawyer is working late and it is like the whole place is lit up by one 30 watt bulb. I have been in police stations and they are never that dark. Same when you see a lawyer or something working in their office and it is like the whole office is lit with one little desk lamp. Add in the fact when people get home at night on these shows they never seem to turn on the lights right away like 99% of normal people do and will wander through there dark house instead.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I like your answer of "get me a lawyer". I hate when some average Joe is arrested and he shouts "Call my lawyer!" Like how many people have a criminal attorney on retainer? I have used two lawyers, a real estate attorney to by my home and another to write a will, neither could help me if I were arrested and neither would anyone know it I just said "Call my lawyer!"
    I have a lawyer, and I would say "call my lawyer," but only so I could tell my lawyer to get the best criminal defense attorney she could find.

Retired

Often on PERRY MASION, Perry is doing some other legal work for the person who will eventually become accused of murder and he will have to defend, but the work he is doing has nothing to do with criminal law. Not that this bugs me--it's highly entertaining. But the client's fatal mistake was hiring Perry in the first place, that's the inciting incident that means a murder will happen. It's like inviting Jessica Fletcher over to your house--you have sowed the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Often on PERRY MASION, Perry is doing some other legal work for the person who will eventually become accused of murder and he will have to defend, but the work he is doing has nothing to do with criminal law. Not that this bugs me--it's highly entertaining. But the client's fatal mistake was hiring Perry in the first place, that's the inciting incident that means a murder will happen. It's like inviting Jessica Fletcher over to your house--you have sowed the wind and shall reap the whirlwind.

My dad is convinced she is a mass murder who is framing other people.

I love the tv show in the Heat Of The Night. One of my favorite shows of all times. One thing that bugs me is in season four the police are at a scene of a murder. Bubba is upset and the chief asks him what is wrong. Bubba says "It's this murder. This kind of thing does not happen here." Really. it is season four and you have been packing up bodies every episode for the last four years. I swear Sparta had a higher murder rate then New York City yet he is shocked at finding a man shot!
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-08-2021 at 04:53 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

During the 70s, I loved two period pieces tv shows: The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

But the shows were different in some ways. The Waltons always seemed to be about loving your fellow man. Even if it was confrontational, it was always about love or doing right.

Little House was more about revenge and an eye for an eye. Sometimes it went too far IMO. Sure, Harriet and Nellie Olsen deserved a lot of the comeuppance they received. But in one episode, Laura and Albert trick them into buying an active bee hive. On the way home, as Laura and Albert knew, the bees became irritated and swarmed Harriet and Nellie, repeatedly stinging them. And this was supposed to be humorous. When watching this when it originally aired, my whole family was appalled. Many people are allergic to bee stings and die from them. Perhaps we were too involved with the show, but was not entertaining at all to us.

This not so much a pet peeve about things IN movies and TV this time, but people who watch movies and TV:

I hate when people see gorillas and chimpanzees in movies and TV shows and refer to them as "monkeys." Nope, that's not what they are.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    This not so much a pet peeve about things IN movies and TV this time, but people who watch movies and TV:

I hate when people see gorillas and chimpanzees in movies and TV shows and refer to them as "monkeys." Nope, that's not what they are.
    Or whales and dolphins as fish.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Or whales and dolphins as fish.
    Or lions and tigers as bears.

(no, wait...)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post

That's an important plot point in Escape From the Planet of the Apes. Cornelius and Zira are extremely insulted when anyone refers to them as monkeys.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Retired

Maybe I'm giving more credit for intelligence but in modern movies and T.V. shows I usually assume that the person calling the ape a monkey actually knows this is wrong and the reason they're doing it is to show disrespect to the ape.

Astonishing Member

Watching some cheapy martial arts, monster, military movies - in the fights the spinning kicks with both participants about 5 feet from each other, just twirling around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Maybe I'm giving more credit for intelligence but in modern movies and T.V. shows I usually assume that the person calling the ape a monkey actually knows this is wrong and the reason they're doing it is to show disrespect to the ape.
    Fair enough. However, Escape From the Planet of the Apes was released in 1972. I don't know if that makes it a modern movie in your book.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I hate it on Thursdays when news anchors keep referring to Thursdays as "Friday Eve" and "Friday Jr." There are two TV anchors on two different TV stations in the city I live that do this EVERY Thursday and it drives me bonkers. Especially when OTHER news anchors on both TV stations start doing it, too.

Plus "Thursday" takes less syllables to say than "Friday Eve" and "Friday Jr.", so they are just saying extra syllables for nothing, in my opinion.

Another thing I sometimes hate on newscasts: the BANTER among some of the newscasters and the meteorologists. On some TV stations, the banter can be funny, but when OTHER TV stations try to do the same thing, it can be really annoying, especially if the personalities are annoying.

Speaking of meteorologists, I hate it when you want to hear the weather really quickly but you've got a weatherman that will go ON and ON and ON for 15 hours about the air quality, the clouds, the pollen count and what the weather was like on this same day back in 15 B.C.

Ok, look, is it going to be cold today or not? LOL

Another thing I just thought of that I hate that is unrelated to what I said above: I hate it on TV shows and movies when one character says something surprising, and another character spits out what he or she is drinking as a reaction to what they just heard. Plus I don't think I've ever seen the spitters actually clean up what they spit out, so their spittle is just there on the table, or the floor or wherever it landed.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-15-2021 at 03:53 AM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi