Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Random things that bug you in movies and TV

A thread for things that pop up in many movies or TV shows that irritate or just make you shake your head.

This is NOT a thread for specific scenes in specific movies that have problems.

First is the "binocular camera view"

Looking through binoculars does not look like this;

It looks like this because of how our vision works:

Last edited by Kirby101; 11-18-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Another:

Who here has a lawyer? I don't.
    Everybody on TV or the movies, when they get arrested shouts "call my lawyer". And that lawyer always seems to be an ace criminal defense attorney. "Until you charge my client...yadda, yadda, yadda..."

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

People who are 'on the phone' but are obviously just on the main app menu not calling anyone when you see the phone next to their ear.

People getting a parking spot right in front of where they need to be. Even in midtown Manhattan.

High School gymnasiums. Almost any time you see a high school gymnasium in TV or movies mostly on TV it's about the size of a junior high gym for even a grade school gym having been in a lot of high school gyms at least acrossed my own state it's really frustrating to see high school gyms with like one layer of stands

Fantastic Member

Ramps and explosions.

Cars do not flip over when they hit other cars. They stop. And they rarely blow up.

BANNED

Oh sure, lots of things. Most of them I'm so used to by now I just ignore them. Explosions that either shouldn't exist or are wildly exaggerated, guns being pulled/pointed so often that any danger the viewer should be feeling for the character threatened is completely eliminated, forced romance, happy endings, twist endings, etc. Why I tend to prefer TV to movies now, less formulaic. Or rather, many more TV shows more choice so more of those programs that are less formulaic (hard to get the money to fund a movie without those funding it telling you to stick to that formula and make them back their money).

The "Bad girl/Villainess" REFORMING or Becoming a Good Person just because she has the hots for the Male Hero. I hate that.

BANNED

Telling the woman to stay out of danger so she can be safe

I am SO over the computer hacker character who can seamlessly hack into absolutely anything if they bang on a keyboard in six seconds. Then this scene plays out...

Hacker: Okay, so I'm flooding their database with six terabytes--
    Protagonist: Can I get that in English, please!?
    Hacker: ... they won't be able to use the Internet for five minutes.

It's no mystery why I've never been a fan of Felicity on Arrow. I don't understand how anyone feels comfortable putting such a tired idea on paper.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    I am SO over the computer hacker character who can seamlessly hack into absolutely anything if they bang on a keyboard in six seconds. Then this scene plays out...

It's no mystery why I've never been a fan of Felicity on Arrow. I don't understand how anyone feels comfortable putting such a tired idea on paper.
    Watch Mr. Robot. 100% realistic hacker show, great characters, with none of those cliche hacker tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    Watch Mr. Robot. 100% realistic hacker show, great characters, with none of those cliche hacker tropes.
    I've heard great things! I've been meaning to check it out. Will have to marathon it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post

Anyway, for me, it's the 21st century and people still rarely say "bye" on the phone. And with cell phones and video conferencing being commonplace now, it happens even more now! At least in Star Trek, they'll say things like, "Riker out."

Astonishing Member

Police or computer types 'enhancing' blurry photos and videos. And people cutting out the background or or another person out of a picture with one click of a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    The "Bad girl/Villainess" REFORMING or Becoming a Good Person just because she has the hots for the Male Hero. I hate that.
    Have you been watching Grimm?