Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Retired

As far as weather reports go, living in Vancouver, the thing that unnerves me is when they report it's going to rain as if that's terrible news. Gee, we live in Vancouver--it rains in Vancouver--stop being such a downer about the fact it's going to rain. Remember all those times in the summer when we were in a drought and we had to limit our water usage and forest fires darkened the sky and people lost their homes and people died? Stop treating the rain like it's a bleeding curse. Or go back to wherever you came from, because you clearly don't like living here.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I hate it on Thursdays when news anchors keep referring to Thursdays as "Friday Eve" and "Friday Jr." There are two TV anchors on two different TV stations in the city I live that do this EVERY Thursday and it drives me bonkers. Especially when OTHER news anchors on both TV stations start doing it, too.

Plus "Thursday" takes less syllables to say than "Friday Eve" and "Friday Jr.", so they are just saying extra syllables for nothing, in my opinion.

Another thing I sometimes hate on newscasts: the BANTER among some of the newscasters and the meteorologists. On some TV stations, the banter can be funny, but when OTHER TV stations try to do the same thing, it can be really annoying, especially if the personalities are annoying.

Speaking of meteorologists, I hate it when you want to hear the weather really quickly but you've got a weatherman that will go ON and ON and ON for 15 hours about the air quality, the clouds, the pollen count and what the weather was like on this same day back in 15 B.C.

Ok, look, is it going to be cold today or not? LOL

Another thing I just thought of that I hate that is unrelated to what I said above: I hate it on TV shows and movies when one character says something surprising, and another character spits out what he or she is drinking as a reaction to what they just heard. Plus I don't think I've ever seen the spitters actually clean up what they spit out, so their spittle is just there on the table, or the floor or wherever it landed.
    Now, now. The spit-take is a classic staple of comedy. Who cares about cleaning it up?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Now, now. The spit-take is a classic staple of comedy. Who cares about cleaning it up?
    IRL I've been on both ends of the spit-take. Thankfully they mostly happened to be outdoors, but there was one time when I accidentally did a spit-take at the cafeteria in junior high, with my lunchmate sitting across the table from me, his being the poor recipient of airborne grape soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    IRL I've been on both ends of the spit-take. Thankfully they mostly happened to be outdoors, but there was one time when I accidentally did a spit-take at the cafeteria in junior high, with my lunchmate sitting across the table from me, his being the poor recipient of airborne grape soda.
    That sounds hilarious.

Another things that bugs me while watching the news is, you can be looking right at the screen and listening to everything they say, then the news anchors will say "Take a look", "take a look at this", "listen to this."

Now, I guess they keep saying that during every newscast just in case there are people who aren't paying attention, but it's annoying to me when they keep saying it and I'm already watching and listening.

Also, news anchors ALWAYS seem to say the same phrase "in broad daylight" when they are talking about crimes committed during the day. "They robbed the bank in broad daylight", "the child was kidnapped in broad daylight," the family was carjacked in broad daylight..."

And one thing I forgot to mention last time when I was talking about how some news anchors won't say "Friday" anymore but will say "Friday Jr." or "Friday Eve"... there is one particular news station in the city I live in where on Fridays, they won't say it's Friday, they will say it is Fri-Yay. There are 2 news anchors who routinely do this because they are co-anchors, but one day the male co-anchor wasn't there so the female co-anchor tried to get the replacement male co-anchor to say "Fri-Yay" and he looked so uncomfortable when he actually said it.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-18-2021 at 04:27 AM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Another things that bugs me while watching the news is, you can be looking right at the screen and listening to everything they say, then the news anchors will say "Take a look", "take a look at this", "listen to this."

Now, I guess they keep saying that during every newscast just in case there are people who aren't paying attention, but it's annoying to me when they keep saying it and I'm already watching and listening.

Also, news anchors ALWAYS seem to say the same phrase "in broad daylight" when they are talking about crimes committed during the day. "They robbed the bank in broad daylight", "the child was kidnapped in broad daylight," the family was carjacked in broad daylight..."

And one thing I forgot to mention last time when I was talking about how some news anchors won't say "Friday" anymore but will say "Friday Jr." or "Friday Eve"... there is one particular news station in the city I live in where on Fridays, they won't say it's Friday, they will say it is Fri-Yay. There are 2 news anchors who routinely do this because they are co-anchors, but one day the male co-anchor wasn't there so the female co-anchor tried to get the replacement male co-anchor to say "Fri-Yay" and he looked so uncomfortable when he actually said it.
    I agree with most of what you said here, but not necessarily the first point. I understand how you watch the news the way you do, but many people just have it on in the background while they're otherwise occupied, so if they hear the anchor say, in a loud voice, "Take a look at this," or "You have to see this," they just might stop whatever else they're doing to literally take a look.

Boisterously Confused

I've done the spit-take IRL. With bourbon. That does a number on the sinuses let me tell ya.

I did, however, clean it up.

I agree with most of what you said here, but not necessarily the first point. I understand how you watch the news the way you do, but many people just have it on in the background while they're otherwise occupied, so if they hear the anchor say, in a loud voice, "Take a look at this," or "You have to see this," they just might stop whatever else they're doing to literally take a look.
    At this point, maybe I won't be as annoyed if I start NOT paying attention to the news. LOL
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Ultimate Member

The scene in cops shows where the plains clothes detectives decide to question a person of interest at his job. Another worker says, "Yeah, John Smith works here," and either calls Johnny's name or worse just gestures in John's direction. John looks up sees two guys in suits and takes off running. Now depending on how the scene is shot, John is like 10-20 yards away. He couldn't have heard their conversation, they haven't announced themselves or shown their badges, so there's no way that John knows they are the police. Even if he could tell just by looking at them, who says they are after him specifically ( and half the time the aren't). So why is John running? ( I mean, I know the real reason, but still...)

"Where are we going to get tickets now?"
    "What do you mean? I know [insert celebrity] they can give us some tickets!"

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I've done the spit-take IRL. With bourbon. That does a number on the sinuses let me tell ya.

I did, however, clean it up.
    The spit-take absolutely happens in real life but in fiction, they tend to skip over the part where you choke first, which usually results in the spitting.

A couple for me

The first is the fresh faced small town person turned reporter in a big city paper/tv station. The boss gives them the lead on the biggest news story of the decade because they can give a fresh take and this person has moxey and spunk. And it turns out the award winning veteran that has been working with the paper/tv station for 25 years is really an underhanded jerk and this team of big city crack reporters had no idea!

Then the Rookie cop. First week on the job, has never drawn his gun or even written a parking ticket is rounded up and sent on a raid to arrest big time drug dealer/gang member/murder because he needs to see how it is in the big city. of course he is killed and the grizzled seen every detective who has been on the job 30 years and has seen it all cant believe said criminal would stoop so low as to kill a young fresh faced cop who had the world on his plate. To this hard nose detective who has seen it all from bad murders and rapes the death of the cop he knew for all of 5 and a half minutes is the most traumatic thing to happen in his career and He vows to bring down the criminal who of course got away in the raid.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    A couple for me

The first is the fresh faced small town person turned reporter in a big city paper/tv station. The boss gives them the lead on the biggest news story of the decade because they can give a fresh take and this person has moxey and spunk. And it turns out the award winning veteran that has been working with the paper/tv station for 25 years is really an underhanded jerk and this team of big city crack reporters had no idea!

Then the Rookie cop. First week on the job, has never drawn his gun or even written a parking ticket is rounded up and sent on a raid to arrest big time drug dealer/gang member/murder because he needs to see how it is in the big city. of course he is killed and the grizzled seen every detective who has been on the job 30 years and has seen it all cant believe said criminal would stoop so low as to kill a young fresh faced cop who had the world on his plate. To this hard nose detective who has seen it all from bad murders and rapes the death of the cop he knew for all of 5 and a half minutes is the most traumatic thing to happen in his career and He vows to bring down the criminal who of course got away in the raid.
    As Lou Grant said to Mary Richards, "I hate spunk!"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

That is what gets me. In real life you have cops who have been on the job 20+ years who have never even had to pull their gun let alone fire it, while on some of these shows you have cops who haver literally shot dozens of people and get in shoot outs every week. Then they get pissy when IA investigates them. It's like "Dude! You have a higher body count on you then drug dealer you just killed of coarse we are going to look into you"

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is what gets me. In real life you have cops who have been on the job 20+ years who have never even had to pull their gun let alone fire it, while on some of these shows you have cops who haver literally shot dozens of people and get in shoot outs every week. Then they get pissy when IA investigates them. It's like "Dude! You have a higher body count on you then drug dealer you just killed of coarse we are going to look into you"
    .This. And the cops who break the rules, Like the Captain says you are off this case. Then the cop goes rogue finds the bad guy kills like 20 people causes damage and puts innocent lives at risk because this is always done in a public place. But all is forgiven because he got the big bad.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.