Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Giant space ship, with big open spaces.
    I don't mind in space-fantasy movies like Star Wars, but in more realistic, less futuristic shows, it makes little sense.
    I was watching The Expanse on SyFy which takes place in the near future. The Martian ship has large, cavernous spaces. The amount of air needed to fill those spaces, plus the extra resources to build that much empty space that is still structurally sound is wasteful and stupid.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Giant space ship, with big open spaces.
    I don't mind in space-fantasy movies like Star Wars, but in more realistic, less futuristic shows, it makes little sense.
    I was watching The Expanse on SyFy which takes place in the near future. The Martian ship has large, cavernous spaces. The amount of air needed to fill those spaces, plus the extra resources to build that much empty space that is still structurally sound is wasteful and stupid.
    Coversely, the Millennium Falcon was always problematic for me, since it's supposed to be freighter, but has about the same cargo capacity as a swordfish boat.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Coversely, the Millennium Falcon was always problematic for me, since it's supposed to be freighter, but has about the same cargo capacity as a swordfish boat.
    It wasn't a freighter per se. It was a smuggling vessel. A fast one, it did the Kessel run in 12 Parsecs. Think about how drugs are brought into this country, not in big cargo ships. (well sometimes, but hidden in larger shipments)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    It wasn't a freighter per se. It was a smuggling vessel. A fast one, it did the Kessel run in 12 Parsecs. Think about how drugs are brought into this country, not in big cargo ships. (well sometimes, but hidden in larger shipments)
    "Millennium Falcon" on @Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millen...on?wprov=sfii1

Didn't bug me until the post-film materials established it as a freighter.

Amazing Member

Couple of mine:

1) The Bulletproof Vest Reveal.
    The hero gets shot, and is presumed dead. A moment later, he wakes up and opens his shirt, to reveal a bullet proof vest. Why? Is he unsure it worked?

2) The Mystery Operating System
    Ok, maybe you could get away with this in the '90s, but personal computers are so ubiquitous now you have no excuse not to show one having a halfway plausible OS and not something that looks like the wet dream of someone who was tripping on acid watching Tron. Also, apparently you're not allowed to use a mouse unlesss its photo manipulation.
    Last edited by Copper; 12-26-2015 at 08:08 PM.

The villain has locked the hero into an empty room to give the hero time to consider cooperating with the villain. This gives the hero plenty of time to discover the entrance to the HVAC ducts, which happen to be big enough to hold an 18-wheeler. The hero immediately finds the exit that leads from his "cell" to the villains secret room. Hilarity ensues. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Crow View Post
    The villain has locked the hero into an empty room to give the hero time to consider cooperating with the villain. This gives the hero plenty of time to discover the entrance to the HVAC ducts, which happen to be big enough to hold an 18-wheeler. The hero immediately finds the exit that leads from his "cell" to the villains secret room. Hilarity ensues. :-)
    Gokaiger, a Sentai show I watched, parodied this wonderfully.
    spoilers:
    A group of heroes were trapped in a room, alone. They found a vent They go through the vent, hoping to escape. Just when they reach the other side of the vent...they see the villain casually relaxing in a chair with a gun pointed right at them.
    end of spoilers

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The good guy shoots at the bad guy. The bad guy immediately drops dead. Always. The bad guy shoots at the good guy. Ouch, flesh wound. :-)

Windows without screens.

Every time we see someone climb through a house's window, there's no screen for them to remove or slide up first.

Let's let in all the mosquitoes, flies, spiders, dragonflies, bees, wasps, hornets, flying ants, beetles, cats, chipmunks, bats, birds, squirrels, leaves, pine needles, and drones, shall we?
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Windows without screens.

Every time we see someone climb through a house's window, there's no screen for them to remove or slide up first.

Let's let in all the mosquitoes, flies, spiders, dragonflies, bees, wasps, hornets, flying ants, beetles, cats, chipmunks, bats, birds, squirrels, leaves, pine needles, and drones, shall we?
    Action happens only in flying bug-free zones?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Windows without screens.
    You'll be happy to know some students borrowed my apartment to shoot in the other week and put my screens back on so it would be "real." (I leave them off because I like to go out them onto the landing frequently, and don't need the hassle.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

"Millennium Falcon" on @Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millen...on?wprov=sfii1

Didn't bug me until the post-film materials established it as a freighter.
    Okay, in TFA they called it a Cerillian class freighter.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    You'll be happy to know some students borrowed my apartment to shoot in the other week and put my screens back on so it would be "real." (I leave them off because I like to go out them onto the landing frequently, and don't need the hassle.)
    That's cool.

Yeah, it's usually the teen's room in movies or on TV that has no screens in the windows. So their friends can sneak in.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

A YT-1300 has a cargo capacity of 25-100 metric tons. The Falcon is listed as having 100 metric tons of cargo space. Here's the internal design layout of the Falcon.

People in shows and movies who can't fight but after a montage are master fighters.