Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    People in shows and movies who can't fight but after a montage are master fighters.
    Montage Scenes in general are so passe.

When a villain can easily win but drags it out by explaining their evil scheme and allowing the main characters "Backup" or some crazy miracle to save them therefore defeating the social villain.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    People in shows and movies who can't fight but after a montage are master fighters.

Haha especially when there is cheesy music like "Eye of the Tiger" or the infamous song "Danger Zone"
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Venkman View Post
    When a villain can easily win but drags it out by explaining their evil scheme and allowing the main characters "Backup" or some crazy miracle to save them therefore defeating the social villain.
    I remember Kim Possible they asked this and the answer was "It's just how they do"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
    The one where the hero, in a fit of rage, has the villain beaten and at his/her mercy. He/She has the perfect opportunity to kill the person who destroyed countless lives, but the hero's friends beg him/her to spare the villain's life. Ultimately, the hero decides not "off" the bad guy because "it would make them no different than the monster he is."

For ONCE, I'd kill for a chance to see a twist of that situation:

The scene plays out as before, with the hero sparing the antagonist. He then says something that triggers the hero back into pure fury, he/she immediately jumps at the guy, and brutally murders him.

(Or some situation without the allies being there to stop him.)
    Peter Davids Captain Marvel run features this with professional sidekick goody twoshoes Rick Jones as the trigger man.
    I believe Spawns murder of child killer billy Kincaid was also meant to subvert this trope.

All romances being doomed romances was a trope the annoyed me with Buffy & Angel.

Characters making mistakes to service the plot, particularly when they're mistakes most people wouldn't make, the Walking dead has a bad habit of this.

There also seems to be a fear of stable married couples that like each other, generally get along or characters staying in relationships, the will they, won't they angle gets played out fast.

I also miss sexualized double entendres in shows, it seems they're far less prevalent than they were even a decade ago for the most part and not as clever, typically lowest common denominator lazy writing now

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
    The one where the hero, in a fit of rage, has the villain beaten and at his/her mercy. He/She has the perfect opportunity to kill the person who destroyed countless lives, but the hero's friends beg him/her to spare the villain's life. Ultimately, the hero decides not "off" the bad guy because "it would make them no different than the monster he is."

For ONCE, I'd kill for a chance to see a twist of that situation:

The scene plays out as before, with the hero sparing the antagonist. He then says something that triggers the hero back into pure fury, he/she immediately jumps at the guy, and brutally murders him.

(Or some situation without the allies being there to stop him.)
    Sounds like you need to watch the movie Se7en from '95.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Extraordinary Member

I feel like there is always ONE black person, why so little? It p!sses me off.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I'd say that really depends on what you're watching, you watch the Fresh Prince, entirely black cast, watch Stargate, you've got one black cast member out of the four leads, you watch Misfits, 2 out of 5 main cast members are black, the walking dead usually holds out at between 3 to 5 main cast as black characters over the last couple years, the Wire features a predominantly black cast, some other series feature less representation in one arena, but bolsters representation in other areas, like Agents of Shield has a recurring black character (so far as I know, not caught up on the current season) but has more of a focus on asian and biracial asian women out of the main cast.

I do think there's definitely some prejudices at work appealing to white demographics and at times with the way other races are portrayed and that stems from a few socioeconomic concerns towards creating a successful product that I'm not going to entirely condemn as I believe there are both positives and negatives produced by this, but I will say variety isn't as hard to find as it once was.

How laser beams as a security device are always in the visible light spectrum so that intruders know they are there and can devise means to get around them. The smart security expert would use infrared lasers and the intruder wouldn't even know they were there until the alarm was tripped. Besides you can't even see the laser beam itself. Take a laser pointer and shine it on something. All you see is the dot, not the beam itself.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 01-05-2016 at 05:52 PM.

I got another one. People getting knocked out. They are always knocked out for the exact amount of time needed for the plot.
    Now if you have watch Pro fights or sports and seen people knocked out, you will see that most are only out for a few seconds and then come back groggy and disoriented.
    They are almost never out for a long time. And when that happens it usually means injury to the brain and requires hospitalization.
    But in the movies people are knocked out for whatever time they need to be, and almost always come to as if they are waking from a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Venkman View Post
    Haha especially when there is cheesy music like "Eye of the Tiger" or the infamous song "Danger Zone"
    See, I want that as a super power.

Ability to montage through anything.

Just crank up the 80s music and BAM! I am a master at making cheese.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I think I might have already ranted on this in this thread but the most recent episode of the Walking Dead did it again where for dramatic effect a character is shown racking a bullet into the chamber of a gun. Cops and the people on the Walking Dead would always carry their guns with a round in the chamber because you might need to shoot at an instants notice and you won't have time to rack a bullet into the chamber. I know TV does it for the dramatic effect but every time I see it this it utterly takes me out of the scene due to the absurdity of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Or ninja.

I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Most shows you probably watch are made in the United States, Canada, or England where blacks are at most 15% of the population or less. If the show / movie is somehow about blacks then of course there should be a higher ration of blacks in the show but otherwise only about 1-2 out of ten at most should be black and maybe not even that depending on the location of the show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Have you seen Team America: World Police?