Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Last edited by Kirby101; 03-20-2016 at 08:05 AM.

BANNED

People don't like montage...why not just say you hate basic film language while you're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    You need those wubble-u's in there.

To see some fools in uniforms in almost every single movie or tv show.

security guards. many are ex-cops or moonlighting cops. Not the incompetent buffoons that any penny ante crook can overcome or get past in every movie or tv show.

Someone pointed this one out to me recently; someone needs to make a quick bomb, so they stick an aerosol of something volatile in a microwave and start it. Ok, I'm not an expert on this, so maybe something nasty could happen, but why does it only explode when the timer runs out? It's not a countdown to the detonation, it's just when the microwave turns off.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Someone pointed this one out to me recently; someone needs to make a quick bomb, so they stick an aerosol of something volatile in a microwave and start it. Ok, I'm not an expert on this, so maybe something nasty could happen, but why does it only explode when the timer runs out? It's not a countdown to the detonation, it's just when the microwave turns off.
    I can't remember ever seeing it wait until the timer is running out, but then, I wasn't paying attention for that, either.

Timers, in general, are cues for the audience much more than anything else. That's why things things that have no real use for a timer, including a lot of mad bomber bombs, have huge, blatant timers ticking away. Movies happen so fast, that received wisdom is, for everyone in the audience to be kept up to speed, you need some things to be telegraphed bluntly.

The same reason that when people pay for things in movies, you often see them offer one bill for each item. Two beers? Two dollars. Two packs of gum? Two dollars. Or, the rule of repeating important plot information three times to make sure everyone's up to speed.

As movie/tv audiences mature, as the medium matures, this becomes less and less necessary or functional, but old habits die hard.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

It's a commercial, but it's on TV, so ...

I'm really annoyed by those Liberty Mutual ads with people talking in a cute little park with a great view of the Statue of Liberty. That location, which is so close to the statue it'd have to be within easy swimming distance of Liberty Island, doesn't exist. And if it did it'd be crowded with tourists because the real options to get a good look at the statue are time consuming and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post

I'm really annoyed by those Liberty Mutual ads with people talking in a cute little park with a great view of the Statue of Liberty. That location, which is so close to the statue it'd have to be within easy swimming distance of Liberty Island, doesn't exist. And if it did it'd be crowded with tourists because the real options to get a good look at the statue are time consuming and expensive.

Yeah, so obviously a green screen.
    You would see that from Liberty state Park in NJ, but the Statue is facing away.

The commercial view is from Brooklyn and would be more like this.

And from the commercial
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-20-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post

My grandpa hates those with such passion it's made me annoyed with them, but because of how folksy they are. Real people, real problems, real dumb dialogue, just like you at home!
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

when a show is funny at first then seasons later its not anymore like The Big Bang Theory.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It always annoys me when a video games are shown in TV and movies. When I hear sound effects from 80s arcade games come from modern game consoles I cringe. I remember the Charlie's Angels showed two kids playing Final Fantasy VIII as a two player game on a Dreamcast. I recall in another movie a guy beat a kid in a racing game by button mashing. Such things make my nerd rage boil.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    security guards. many are ex-cops or moonlighting cops. Not the incompetent buffoons that any penny ante crook can overcome or get past in every movie or tv show.
    This irks me a lot.

Fantastic Member

Tasers are the new air ducts. They conveniently render people unconscious, which they generally don't unless one bumps their head falling down.

Nobody seems to have a sense of smell, either.

When somebody hacks or breaks into another person's computer and have, like, no problems navigating how the targeted individual organizes their files or dealing with drivers not being installed or weird pop ups or crashes or scheduled updates or all the hardware is in proper working order etc.
    Last edited by John Aston; 03-21-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Member in Disguise

The two that always bugged me:

1) The bad guy has seemingly exclusive access to 15 abandoned warehouses scattered across the city. Villains must have one heck of a realtor network.
    2) No one ever uses a computer mouse. There's always one there, but the last time I think I saw one used was when Scotty talked to it in the 'Star Trek' movie.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

This doesn't exactly bug me, but I didn't want to post a whole knew thread on this thought that occurred to me.
    The Simpsons, Homer and Marge are now younger Bart and Lisa. The Simpsons premiered in 1989 (not counting Tracy Ullman). Bart was 10 and Lisa 8, meaning they were born in 1979 and 1981.
    Homer and Marge are in their late 30s. For them to be near 40 now they would have been born after 1981. So they are 80s babies and younger than the original Bart and Lisa. Still older than Maggie though.
    As someone who has watched from the beginning, this is a little weird for me. Not to mention making me feel old, since I once was a kid the same time Homer was.
    And there is no way Grandpa is a WWII Vet anymore.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!