Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Retired

I've been scrolling through this thread for the last fifteen minutes, because I'm sure we already talked about the thing that bugs me, but I can't find it. Maybe on another thread. I hate it when people don't say good-bye on the phone. What the hell! And they never pay the consequences for their bad manners. I think someone would be hacked off with them for hanging up without any kind of indication that the conversation was at an end. I keep seeing this happen and I'm cheesed off each time.

Another thing that has always bothered me and seems to bother me more and more is when the characters smoke. I spend far too much time thinking about whether the actor is actually smoking tobacco or is it some other kind of cigarette or is it somehow faked? I get worried for them, because maybe they're killing themselves with all this smoking. And I'm forced to watch it, unable to help them. It's worse than if they were hitting themselves repeatedly with a hammer--because I could be reasonably sure the hammer is fake and they aren't actually hurting themselves. But with the cigarettes, you don't know. It's even worse watching old movies and T.V. shows, where the smoking is pervasive, and you know that the actors did actually die from lung cancer.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Another:

Who here has a lawyer? I don't.
    Everybody on TV or the movies, when they get arrested shouts "call my lawyer". And that lawyer always seems to be an ace criminal defense attorney. "Until you charge my client...yadda, yadda, yadda..."
    I do have a lawyer, but that's not who I want handling any kind of Criminal Case for me.

People getting a parking spot right in front of where they need to be. Even in midtown Manhattan.
    Yup. Grrrrr...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    I am SO over the computer hacker character who can seamlessly hack into absolutely anything if they bang on a keyboard in six seconds. Then this scene plays out...

Hacker: Okay, so I'm flooding their database with six terabytes--
    Protagonist: Can I get that in English, please!?
    Hacker: ... they won't be able to use the Internet for five minutes.

It's no mystery why I've never been a fan of Felicity on Arrow. I don't understand how anyone feels comfortable putting such a tired idea on paper.
    In the movies I recall seeing, the hacker would always say "bingo" on getting in.

While we're at it, and I suppose this happens much less often these days, but you know someone's a hacker when the green text from the screen is projected directly onto their face (and into their eyes).

I hate the use of texting on shows and TV. They usually don't show the phone long enough for you to read it. And worst, they have one of the person's text in white in green boxes. Which is almost impossible to read on the screen.

This is just a random screen shot I found. But it shows the problem.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Romantic subplots. Don't know why every movie needs one.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Romantic subplots. Don't know why every movie needs one.
    Not every movie has one. But I hear you.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but whenever a video game, PC or console, shows up on a tv show or in a movie the games are TERRIBLE...and would never fly in the real world...

This doesn't exactly bug me, but I didn't want to post a whole knew thread on this thought that occurred to me.
    The Simpsons, Homer and Marge are now younger Bart and Lisa. The Simpsons premiered in 1989 (not counting Tracy Ullman). Bart was 10 and Lisa 8, meaning they were born in 1979 and 1981.
    Homer and Marge are in their late 30s. For them to be near 40 now they would have been born after 1981. So they are 80s babies and younger than the original Bart and Lisa. Still older than Maggie though.
    As someone who has watched from the beginning, this is a little weird for me. Not to mention making me feel old, since I once was a kid the same time Homer was.
    And there is no way Grandpa is a WWII Vet anymore.
    Like comic books, The Simpsons has a sliding time scale and any flashbacks to young Homer and Marge have to be updated accordingly. I actually find it quite interesting how the show has dealt with it over the years. "The Way We Was", which aired in 1991, established that Homer and Marge went to high school in the mid-1970's, and then later, "That 90's Show", which aired in 2008, had Bart remarking that he never heard of the 1990's. Last week's episode "Do Pizza Bots Dream of Electric Guitars" saw a 14 year old Homer enjoying hip hop and rap of the early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've been scrolling through this thread for the last fifteen minutes, because I'm sure we already talked about the thing that bugs me, but I can't find it. Maybe on another thread. I hate it when people don't say good-bye on the phone. What the hell! And they never pay the consequences for their bad manners. I think someone would be hacked off with them for hanging up without any kind of indication that the conversation was at an end. I keep seeing this happen and I'm cheesed off each time.
    People also like to enter rooms without knocking or asking if they can come in. It's pretty rude, but movies and TV shows would drag if characters showed real life manner and courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    but movies and TV shows would drag if characters showed real life manner and courtesy.
    Not really.

Astonishing Member

The phone stuff bugs me as well. But I know one person in my life that does this, and that is my father. He never says good bye, just hanging up when he thinks the conversation ended. Sometimes I think he is a movie character, lol.

And drivers while talking to the person next to them, are never watch the traffic. They just turn their head to the right and talk and talk and talk...

Mighty Member

One pet peeve is 24. They show Jack Bauer drifting off to sleep once in Season one, then never has to go to sleep again the entire run of the show. Plus never having to use the restroom. Also, Season 6, he was released from torture in China. Has some hangups about it, then magically gets over it about episode 4, then becomes Jack Bauer super soldier again.

Extraordinary Member

Any idiot can sneak into a lab at a major hospital and change test results or paternity results with no one catching them.

The hero's sidekick or friend comes to him and says "I have to tell you something that is of dire importance." And the hero says, I can't listen right now because I am doing hero stuff. Not only is the hero an idiot, but the friend waits for the hero to ask him what it is.

How about the doctor that always defies hospital rules and regulations and opens them up to a massive lawsuit but at the end of the day nothing ever happens to them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.