Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Or just everyone happens to be watching the news at the exact same time. The whole town is coordinated in their efforts to watch the local news, with no rebels among them?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Or just everyone happens to be watching the news at the exact same time. The whole town is coordinated in their efforts to watch the local news, with no rebels among them?
    Minor and necessary thing but heroes who have no real super speed or other justifications for being right at the scene of a crime when it happens always being there. I remember someone saying cops were incompetent and not doing their jobs because they are not right there when a crime occurs and I'm thinking they've watched too many Batman stories. Considering the size of a city compared to the number of cops, you are demanding a logistical impossibility.
    Power with Girl is better.

On TV, stories of a couple going through an adoption process and then the adoption falls through. I can't even think of a TV show where it was successful, unless the premise is 10 year old discovers he was adopted.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Probably already been said. But my wife being a nurse always cracks up at the general nonsense in medical shows or really any show. Its all a joke. And the lack of security on patients and how easy it is for anyone to get in and talk to them. Its all crap.

I don't think I ever really need to hear the phrase "I thought you'd be bigger/taller" again.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    On TV, stories of a couple going through an adoption process and then the adoption falls through. I can't even think of a TV show where it was successful, unless the premise is 10 year old discovers he was adopted.
    Chandler and Monica on Friends had a successful adoption process. And i can think of several shows where characters are adopted and although we never saw the adoption process, we also had the character know they were adopted from the start. I'm thinking of Modern Family, Webster, Sister Sister. Granted, the first two had a child of a different race than the parents, so the adoption was rather obvious, but still...
    Watching television is not an activity.

How about Cops shows that always have a romance between partners. its like almost every cop show I have seen has had this in some form or another. man it is just lazy as hell writing.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Probably already been said. But my wife being a nurse always cracks up at the general nonsense in medical shows or really any show. Its all a joke. And the lack of security on patients and how easy it is for anyone to get in and talk to them. Its all crap.
    My grandfather was a doctor. He could enjoy a medical show but would sometimes laugh and make it clear that's not how things really worked.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Chandler and Monica on Friends had a successful adoption process. And i can think of several shows where characters are adopted and although we never saw the adoption process, we also had the character know they were adopted from the start. I'm thinking of Modern Family, Webster, Sister Sister. Granted, the first two had a child of a different race than the parents, so the adoption was rather obvious, but still...
    Maybe I'm watching the wrong shows. Desperate Housewives it failed. A Million Little Things it failed. But Modern Family started with the adoption on the first episode. Webster was the same way. Sister sister, adoption already happened. Friends adoption happened on the final episode, I didn't watch much of the final season, so if they built it up, met the mom, etc, then I'll agree on that one. So no, those all qualify with the "adoption happened at the beginning." Which I agree happens.

We don't have, characters in a show. Show happens. Characters adopt a child. Go through the process. Adopt the child. Show continues with adopted child.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Invincible Member

Cop show where cop goes undercover and meets Mr Big, find the secret drug stash, find the evidence whatever...in what seems like two days. Undercover operations can take weeks and many times months before law enforcement can make a case.

Retired

In the pilot for THE BOB NEWHART SHOW, Bob and Emily want to have a kid and explore adoption. The pilot was only aired after several other episodes in the first season--and it's a weird shift in tone. As far as I can remember having kids never came up again on the show--but as I rewatch the series, I'll see if my memory is correct.

I'm also rewatching THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW and the opening credit sequence for the first season is slightly different from the following seasons. We see Mary driving to Minneapolis and as she's driving it flashes back to her going away party where she worked before (in Mountain Iron, Minn., apparently). I don't know if those scenes were from the unused pilot of if they just shot them for the credit sequence, but seeing these characters bugs the heck out of me. Who are they? What kind of work relationship did they have with Mary? Are the actors anyone we should know? One of them looks like Peggy who called Elaine "Susie" on SEINFELD--probably not the same actress, but it amuses me to think Mary and Elaine had the same co-worker.

Incredible Member

This always bugged but in Batman v Superman in the scene where Diana is looking at the videos of the other potential JL members on her computer she's using her finger to scroll through them I guess it gives the scene revelation a dramatic effect but no, that's not how it happens in real life, people use their computer mouse as it's a lot quicker and using just your fingers is time consuming and the arrow thingy goes all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Minor and necessary thing but heroes who have no real super speed or other justifications for being right at the scene of a crime when it happens always being there.
    More to the point, people still committing crimes when the hero exists or is right there. I don't mean Joker or people like that, but you still have regular thugs robbing banks in Gotham. Like what is the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    More to the point, people still committing crimes when the hero exists or is right there. I don't mean Joker or people like that, but you still have regular thugs robbing banks in Gotham. Like what is the plan?
    I can kind of see guys Robbing banks in Gotham if it is during the day since Batman comes out mostly at night. or was written that way for awhile and thought of as an urban legend.

What gets me are the people who robs banks and such in Metropolis. Like im just random joe with now powers and a small hand gun. And I am going to rob a bank in the city that a god like figure protects. The guy has beaten alien and monsters yet I am sure that I and my starter pistol can get away Scott free.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    This always bugged but in Batman v Superman in the scene where Diana is looking at the videos of the other potential JL members on her computer she's using her finger to scroll through them I guess it gives the scene revelation a dramatic effect but no, that's not how it happens in real life, people use their computer mouse as it's a lot quicker and using just your fingers is time consuming and the arrow thingy goes all over the place.
    I don't recall the specific scene you're referring to, but I never use a mouse unless absolutely necessary. Fingers are quicker, more precise on any device designed for a finger.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 08-13-2021 at 05:31 PM.