Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have wondered that as well. Like why is anyone really working for The Joker? Like I can see the crazies maybe. But even they have to sit back at some point and say I know this guy is my hero but he has killed half of my friends for no reason.
    My head canon is that they do it for street cred. "You think you're tough working for Penquin? Bah! I worked for the Joker! He kills you if the wind blows the wrong way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Well then, I have a personal question for you, babyblob. If and when you ever get married, would you invite that aunt of yours to the wedding?
    God no! She is out of my house in just a couple weeks. And to be honest I doubt I will say 2 words to her after she is gone.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Look at Spiderman - his webbing would make a fortune.
    Maybe if he was somebody else. Peter can't even sell pictures of himself for more than 10 bucks.

My next one comes from baywatch. I know how could anyone find something wrong with such a well written show. well I did.

So when they are on the boats speeding to a rescue. They jump out of the boat like 50 feet from the guy. Then take like 5 minutes getting to them. Then tread water and wait for the boat to get to them to pull the person on the bait. Why not just take the boat all they way to the person? its not like the lifeguard who jumped out is doing anything. just hanging onto the person and floating. So what is the extra 2 seconds it would take for the boat to get to them going to hurt.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's why I like the more modern versions of Lex Luthor and Norman Osbourne...they actually are successful businessmen aside from their high-jinx.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure back in the Stan Lee days, they did an issue where Parker tries to sell his web formula to an adhesives company and they tell him to take a walk cuz it dissolves after an hour.
    I think that such an adhesive with that property still would have a myriad of applications. Also, they would start a massive program to analyze and modify it.

Incredible Member

My next one comes from baywatch. I know how could anyone find something wrong with such a well written show. well I did.

So when they are on the boats speeding to a rescue. They jump out of the boat like 50 feet from the guy. Then take like 5 minutes getting to them. Then tread water and wait for the boat to get to them to pull the person on the bait. Why not just take the boat all they way to the person? its not like the lifeguard who jumped out is doing anything. just hanging onto the person and floating. So what is the extra 2 seconds it would take for the boat to get to them going to hurt.
    we need the money shot of Pamela Anderson and the other women's juggs bouncing in slow motion.

Ultimate Member

And to get a shot or two of the ladies after a nice swim...

Incredible Member

No one says goodbye or hi on phone calls.

Everyone always home when you go over to see them or kidnap them.

The good guys are always under armed.
    Last edited by gwhh; 08-27-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Protagonist or their allies kill x amount of foot soldier grunts to get to the big murderous bad, but "it would be wrong to kill him."

Incredible Member

I love in the heat of the night. In episode they say Sparta has a population of something like 14,000 people. Someone did the math on it once. It has basically the worst crime rate of any city in the USA. Of any size.

My dad is convinced she is a mass murder who is framing other people.

I love the tv show in the Heat Of The Night. One of my favorite shows of all times. One thing that bugs me is in season four the police are at a scene of a murder. Bubba is upset and the chief asks him what is wrong. Bubba says "It's this murder. This kind of thing does not happen here." Really. it is season four and you have been packing up bodies every episode for the last four years. I swear Sparta had a higher murder rate then New York City yet he is shocked at finding a man shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Protagonist or their allies kill x amount of foot soldier grunts to get to the big murderous bad, but "it would be wrong to kill him."
    This^^^^ Arrow was guilty of this multiple times. Also, a lot of these grunts probably thought they were just guards and didn't know they were taking a job that could get them killed.

But even if they did know. In this season of The Blacklist the bad guy, Townsend had few episodes where he attacked Red, only to have most of his squad killed before Red escaped. Why on Earth would any mercenary go to work for this guy with the casualty rate his men had?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 08-28-2021 at 06:24 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    That kind of ties into my own pet peeve about “lead-character orbiting morality;” a certain amount of preference and favoritism towards the main characters makes sense, but if it’s too obnoxious, too blatant, or too unbalanced, it can screw up a *lot* of character.

Early Star Trek TNG, when Roddenberry was trying to enforce his utopian vision without having great standard for his scripts, often made both the main cast and the guest stars seem like arrogant, sanctimonious assholes in different ways episode-to-episode before the show found it’s footing.

Worse examples would be the way that creators started showing favoritism to antagonists like Guy Of Gisbourne in the BBC’s Robin Hood show, or to Kylo Ren in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy; in both cases, the favoritism wrapped so far around these bad guy characters that they were allowed to excercise their privilge over the heroes as well as the background cast and henchmen.

It’s bad enough when the heroes can rack up triple digit bodycounts of mooks before suddenly finding mercy towards named villains… but it’s much worse when your villain can kill classic heroes, major leads and love interests, maim other heroes, and barely (or even fail to) repent even a little bit… but get elevated to either co-lead or romantic lead in a way that devalues or demotes the other leads. Richard Armitage and Adam Driver are fantastic actors… but the stories around them didn’t justify the treatment they received as time went on.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

People getting the jump on a robber or somebody, having them at gunpoint, but letting them get close enough to swipe the gun and shoot them to death.

Astonishing Member

A person is a witness to a crime, has information, is a target, etc. The person and their family are scared and they are told " We will protect you", "We will have a car outside of your house".

Those protectors are immediately killed without them making a peep.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s bad enough when the heroes can rack up triple digit bodycounts of mooks before suddenly finding mercy towards named villains… but it’s much worse when your villain can kill classic heroes, major leads and love interests, maim other heroes, and barely (or even fail to) repent even a little bit… but get elevated to either co-lead or romantic lead in a way that devalues or demotes the other leads. Richard Armitage and Adam Driver are fantastic actors… but the stories around them didn’t justify the treatment they received as time went on.
    Related to that mild repentance/forgiveness is when the villain gets a flashback to when they turned evil. And it's not that they were a born psychopath in combination with a terrible childhood. (So what chance did they have?) No, their life was perfumed roses growing up, but someone trusted betrayed them. (Or appeared to.) Their happily everafter in that moment was denied. Instead of sucking it up, their heart turns the blackest pitch! Now they shall follow the darkest of paths!

That's the reason they turned evil? It's not an excuse. Reasons are not automatically excuses. If anything it makes me hate the villain more. Their previous 'goodness' was untested and was obviously built on a foundation of sand. Not only are they evil, they're also spoiled brat. And we're supposed to follow the half hearted redemption? At this point I begin to question the morality of the writers themselves.