Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

What was that dumbass tv show where they put a guy in prison in the prison he designed and he had a tattoo of the prison and all of the tunnels and exits on his body? yet they still sent him to that place and were shocked when he escapes,
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What was that dumbass tv show where they put a guy in prison in the prison he designed and he had a tattoo of the prison and all of the tunnels and exits on his body? yet they still sent him to that place and were shocked when he escapes,
    Prison Break (2005 - 2017)?
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

When the whole plot is about some misunderstanding and the characters refuse to talk about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    In fairness it was coded/hidden in art. I will admit to liking the show for the first couple of seasons, but it dropped off hard. Killed off one of the main characters got me to stop watching (though somehow she was back at the end I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    When the whole plot is about some misunderstanding and the characters refuse to talk about it.
    Roger Ebert called it the idiot plot. If any of the characters stopped acting like an idiot for just a few minutes, the whole plot would fall apart.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Astonishing Member

In superhero shows where the protagonist loses her or his powers but still fights evil, until at a critical moment, the powers return.

The endless racking and clicking of gun actions that have nothing to do with how the gun actually works.

Shooting the monster or bad guy in the chest repeatedly which doesn't work. Never mind that trained folks learn to switch to head shots.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The endless racking and clicking of gun actions that have nothing to do with how the gun actually works.
    I might have already posted this one, as it's one of those that really bugs me, but talking about sound effects reminded me of it. When someone is smoking a cigarette, you hear this crackling sound that indicates the cigarette is burning. I've never smoked myself, so maybe smokers can hear this sound when they're smoking. But I've been very close up to people smoking and never heard such a sound. My father always had a cig hanging out of his mouth when I was younger, and I'd remember hearing such a crackle when he'd hug me. Even if smokes really do make this sound, the microphone would have to be very close in to pick it up. It takes me out of the reality of the moment, because I shouldn't he hearing this. I gather it's done because it sounds cool (to the filmmakers, not to me), but then that makes me wonder why do they want to make smoking cool? I thought we were past that overromanticizing something that kills more than 8 million in the world every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Roger Ebert called it the idiot plot. If any of the characters stopped acting like an idiot for just a few minutes, the whole plot would fall apart.
    Ironically it does happen in real life…to an extent. What gets me about it is that I know about it, it’s like the worst form of dramatic irony. In real life I don’t always know when a situation could be resolved by just talking to somebody because people are naturally passive aggressive, apparently, but having all the information is really annoying to watch.

Astonishing Member

Jumping through a modern buildings plate glass window like it is easy to do and you don't get cut (depends on the glass type, I know).

No one ever has to go to the can.

A new show starts and already there is a giant conspiracy at play with secrets!

Movies where getting laid is the plot.

When a movie seriously wants you to believe a drop-dead-gorgeous actress isn't attritive because she has glasses.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Retired

Watched SHE'S ALL THAT and HE'S ALL THAT on the weekend, back to back. Fun movies to laugh at. In SHE'S, once she puts in her contact lenses, she never takes them out again--the rest of the movie, no glasses. In HE'S, he has that toque on his head all the time until he gets a haircut, and then no toque for the rest of the movie. Silly.

I've been watching THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW from the beginning. This is my favourite sitcom of all time, but there are little things that bug me. Rhoda is always worried about her weight. They put her in big clothes, just to hide her figure. Valerie was a dancer just like Mary--she was in perfect condition. Yet they have her always putting herself down and making out like she's a loser. Mary and Phyllis should have set her straight and supported Rhoda more. I just wonder what kind of complex some teens got from watching Rhoda run herself down.

Astonishing Member

Bewitched, why a near omnipotent being would subjugate herself to her creep husband.

When a same sex couple clearly has more chemistry than anybody else, but the plot refuses to acknowledge it and forces some straight couple instead.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    When a same sex couple clearly has more chemistry than anybody else, but the plot refuses to acknowledge it and forces some straight couple instead.
    Sums up FOOTLOOSE (1984). I got no chemistry from Kevin Bacon and Lori Singer and lots from Kevin Bacon and Chris Penn. But the worse thing about that movie is, for a movie that's supposed to be about dancing, there wasn't a whole lot of dancing (and almost none from the lead actors--just their doubles).