Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Bad prop handling, in general, bugs me. Good prop handling makes me ridiculously happy when I notice it.

Two people typing on the same keyboard, or someone reading a computer screen while looking above it at the air, throwing their laptop around like laptops aren't delicate and don't cost real money... pretending to have a full cup but swinging it around so it's blatant there's nothing spillable inside... gunfights where a gun has no clip in... driving by swinging the wheel back and forth dramatically... that sort of thing.

Act like you're in the imaginary world you're supposed to be in!

Pete Postlethwaite, Dianne Wiest, and Robert Downey Jr are all great prop actors, even with green-screened-in-later digital props. Their characters know that food is for eating, coffee can spill, and computers have to be used, not just vaguely gestured with because hoodledeeepoo! magic.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Just watched the latest episode of Agents of SHIELD, and this logic seems to permeate much of TV and film:

...when an unarmed hero or villain gets cornered at gunpoint by a group of fully stocked grunts, and they walk within arm's reach of the target, so inevitably the entire group gets beaten to a pulp. Doubly so when the grunts *know* that the target is one of the best fighters ever -- that's why they're decked out in full gear in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Police or computer types 'enhancing' blurry photos and videos. And people cutting out the background or or another person out of a picture with one click of a mouse.
    Ha! Yes! This seems to go hand in hand with my hated computer hacker trope. Can't stand it.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

For me, nothing ruins a potentially good action movie/show like a poorly choreographed fight scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    For me, nothing ruins a potentially good action movie/show like a poorly choreographed fight scene.
    You know, you would think this would be true for most people. Turns out it's not.

BANNED

Law & Order SVU's portrayal of gamer gate.

People dying mid-sentence before they can get the important information out. They always say "I was killed by--" and die before they can say a name rather than say "X killed me!" Also cases where they save the important information last and they say "Now this is the important part, so listen--" and the transmission cuts out.

Probably a small one but I've noticed a lot lately is big events on TV like weddings only really involving the main cast while relatives and old friends/acquaintances barely get to do or say anything. Some cases where no one else is told about the wedding aside from the main cast (as seen recently on Beauty and the Beast and Big Bang Theory).

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    People driving a car turning their heads to talk to the person in the passenger's seat for more than a few seconds.

If I did that, I'd cause my car to hit other cars and launch into the air, flipping over and exploding.
    I hate that too. To the point where I feel like I'm being rude when I'm driving and talking to the person beside me and not making eye contact at all.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Two people typing on the same keyboard, or someone reading a computer screen while looking above it at the air, throwing their laptop around like laptops aren't delicate and don't cost real money... pretending to have a full cup but swinging it around so it's blatant there's nothing spillable inside... gunfights where a gun has no clip in... driving by swinging the wheel back and forth dramatically... that sort of thing.
    Yup. At this point I really get taken out of a scene when I see someone pick up a supposedly full cup with ease.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    Law & Order SVU's portrayal of gamer gate.
    Was it like everyone else's?

You know, that reminds me, the portrayal of everything video game related on any tv show like that.

BANNED

People driving a car turning their heads to talk to the person in the passenger's seat for more than a few seconds.

If I did that, I'd cause my car to hit other cars and launch into the air, flipping over and exploding.
    Also, people driving down a generally straight road who yank the wheel wildly back and forth without the car swerving from side to side.

Also when characters in sci-fi/fantasy movies who routinely involve themselves in fantastic exploits without giving it a second though suddenly become wildly skeptical at some other fantastic idea that somehow falls outside the scope of their imagination. Like traveling between universes through an artificially generated wormhole is just another day at the office, but ghosts? That's just ridiculous, man!

One that always gives me a chuckle, though, is when characters engaged in a close quarters gunfight dive behind something that is clearly not bulletproof for cover, yet it somehow stops bullets. Where, exactly, does one go to buy a kevlar sofa, anyway?
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-18-2015 at 11:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Also, people driving down a generally straight road who yank the wheel wildly back and forth without the car swerving from side to side.

Also when characters in sci-fi/fantasy movies who routinely involve themselves in fantastic exploits without giving it a second though suddenly become wildly skeptical at some other fantastic idea that somehow falls outside the scope of their imagination. Like traveling between universes through an artificially generated wormhole is just another day at the office, but ghosts? That's just ridiculous, man!

One that always gives me a chuckle, though, is when characters engaged in a close quarters gunfight dive behind something that is clearly not bulletproof for cover, yet it somehow stops bullets. Where, exactly, does one go to buy a kevlar sofa, anyway?
    I was reading something about a year ago, I think, about how some criminals now are doing this in actual shootouts. Needless to say, it doesn't work out well for the criminals.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It sometimes bothers me even when they aren't in a fantastic world. You have several dead bodies that look like they were drained of blood through two puncture marks on the neck ... at least assume the killer is playing with vampire tropes. Instead, everyone but the hero refuses to consider the murder has the slightest connection to vampires.

Fantastic Member

Well done, my friend. Well done!!!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't know why this is but it bugs me when there is a scene where people walk out of their house and leave their door open. I mean just in casual situtations. Or story that takes place in the Midwest or Northeast and they don't have storm doors or screens on the windows.

Another one was in Halloween where Jamie Curtis's character walks out of the house and takes her laundry to a washing machine....in the garage! And this was supposed to be a town in Illinois. I could understand if it was an attached garage.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The bill-per-item sort of paying in some movies bugs me. Where everything in universe is a dollar/one bill each. Two beers? They put down two bills. Bag of chips? One bill. No change, no figuring, no variations. It's not a bad shorthand for "money" in theory, but in practice is gets on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Another one was in Halloween where Jamie Curtis's character walks out of the house and takes her laundry to a washing machine....in the garage! And this was supposed to be a town in Illinois. I could understand if it was an attached garage.
    My grandpa's last place just about needed that, a place we only sold a few months back. The microwave was in a shed, because the wiring in the kitchen couldn't support that kind of charge and a fridge and lights as well. And, that was in town in fancyschmancy Southern California.

Place I rented in Northern Michigan ten years ago had the washer in the basement, but the dryer in a separate storm cellar under an adjacent property for similar reasons, and that was a proper big (for the area) city.

So it's not that unusual.

The door thing bugs me, too, though. Especially odd is if they just walk out and leave like that, door open, no stopping to get keys, they just go out.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Stories where it seems like evil has the stronghold in the supernatural. An example is the Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday The 13th franchises. Who is running the after life that two vile murderers (one of whom is a child molester) can keep coming back again and again but their victims must remain dead?

Enemies getting distracted by characters showing some skin in a tantalizing manner.

People going from arguing intensely to screwing each other's brains out in a manner of seconds.